The PH-90 Phaser question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
candybag

08 Apr 2018

I've had this question since the beginning of dawn;

Is there a way to control the sweep apart from setting it to tempo sync?

I want to use it like you would a regular filter, dialing in whatever frequency i like and have it stay that way. Free run or tempo sync don't always cut it...

Cheers!
Yamaha HS7 - HD600 - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Akai MPK261 - AT2050 - Auralex Project 2™ Roominator Kit
9900K - 16 GB - 3xXB270HU - GTX 1080 ti

Exowildebeest

08 Apr 2018

Turn the LFO off by setting Fmod to zero. Connect an external LFO to the Freq knob or automate it.

You lose the weird stereo effect that the internal modulation has, but... Who likes that characteristic of the PH-90 anyway :D

scratchnsnifff

08 Apr 2018

Exowildebeest wrote:
08 Apr 2018
Turn the LFO off by setting Fmod to zero. Connect an external LFO to the Freq knob or automate it.

You lose the weird stereo effect that the internal modulation has, but... Who likes that characteristic of the PH-90 anyway :D
I can honestly say that I do, iv purchased most phasers in the shop and what I thought would be the best one ended up being way too overboard (uhbik P) ends up that the uhbik S works better for makeshift phaser sweeps if you are going down that road. I like the air raid audio one but again it always seems over the top. The blamsoft f-16 has a phase filter which is perfect for what the OP is after. But another oddball option is to get the air raid audio Filter on band reject with high resonance and a 25% width and the sweep of the filter sounds just like a phaser especially with a delay (with a modulation on the miliseconds of the ddl)
Also for a free phaser check out that music companies T2 phaser! That one is the only other phaser imo that works for making phaser filters using actual phasers the air raid one can be done but it still has too much of a phasery delay sound to it. It takes a decent amount of tweaking, they make a killer chorus unit that makes awesome home made comb sweeps too ;)
Tangent completed
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

candybag

09 Apr 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
08 Apr 2018
Exowildebeest wrote:
08 Apr 2018

I can honestly say that I do, iv purchased most phasers in the shop and what I thought would be the best one ended up being way too overboard (uhbik P) ends up that the uhbik S works better for makeshift phaser sweeps if you are going down that road. I like the air raid audio one but again it always seems over the top. The blamsoft f-16 has a phase filter which is perfect for what the OP is after. But another oddball option is to get the air raid audio Filter on band reject with high resonance and a 25% width and the sweep of the filter sounds just like a phaser especially with a delay (with a modulation on the miliseconds of the ddl)
Also for a free phaser check out that music companies T2 phaser! That one is the only other phaser imo that works for making phaser filters using actual phasers the air raid one can be done but it still has too much of a phasery delay sound to it. It takes a decent amount of tweaking, they make a killer chorus unit that makes awesome home made comb sweeps too ;)
Tangent completed
I LOVE the characteristics of the PH-90, you just gotta use it right :D

I will check out the F-16.
Is it a patch to get the phase filter? I don't see any knob that would suggest otherwise.
Yamaha HS7 - HD600 - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Akai MPK261 - AT2050 - Auralex Project 2™ Roominator Kit

Loque

09 Apr 2018

candybag wrote:
09 Apr 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
08 Apr 2018

Tangent completed
I LOVE the characteristics of the PH-90, you just gotta use it right :D

I will check out the F-16.
Is it a patch to get the phase filter? I don't see any knob that would suggest otherwise.
Its a filter type. Also Nostromo has this filter types. Maybe eXpanse too, but i am not sure atm.
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

09 Apr 2018

Yes nostromo has a similar type of filter and expanse certainly does as well :) I think the zero FM synth does as well
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

candybag

09 Apr 2018

Thanks for all the help guys, i was mainly looking for an effect module.

Bought the F-16 and will testdrive it tonight. Gonna slap it straight on the master bus.

aeox
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2018

candybag wrote:
09 Apr 2018

Bought the F-16 and will testdrive it tonight. Gonna slap it straight on the master bus.
Great filter :thumbs_up:

Loque

09 Apr 2018

candybag wrote:
09 Apr 2018

You can route audio through Nostromos filters :)
Reason12, Win10

candybag

09 Apr 2018

Loque wrote:
09 Apr 2018
candybag wrote:
09 Apr 2018

I bet you can, but i'm not that technical :D

Loque

09 Apr 2018

candybag wrote:
09 Apr 2018
Loque wrote:
09 Apr 2018

I bet you can, but i'm not that technical :D
I agree hooking a fx is easier, but its not difficult to route audio through Nostromo, easier than in Thor. And if you got it, you get all the other filter types on top + fx and the fancy oscilloscope/goniometer.
Reason12, Win10

Marco Raaphorst

09 Apr 2018

If you put the Pulveriser in Comb filtering you can do amazing phasing. Using any rate you would like.

• Information