novation circuit as controller

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ry10

07 Apr 2018

Hi. First post, totally new to reason here. Was working dawlles until recently. As I will be moving to another place for 6 months and I just got a new MacBook Pro, I thought this was a good time to go ITB. I'm wondering if it's possible to use a Novation Circuit as a midi controller in reason. Well I know it should be possible, but any experiences / opinions whether it works well and hassle-free? Or should I just invest in a mini all in one keyboard/pad/knob controller. I want to keep things as portable as possible but still prefer to carry along a hardware controller instead of using a mouse. thx

fieldframe
RE Developer

08 Apr 2018

I've used Circuit with Reason before, and it's not bad. Playing scales on the grid works well, although I wouldn't bother with Circuit's chromatic mode. You'll have to manually map encoders to things, but Remote override makes it fairly painless (and you get quite a few encoders, since each synth and drum channel gives the encoders different MIDI CCs).

The one thing that annoys me about Circuit as a Reason controller is that you have to use chromatic mode for Kong or Redrum - there's no way to map it to use a 4x4 grid.

ry10

24 Apr 2018

thx. If the drumpad mapping is an issue, then I think I will settle for a mini keyboard with some pads.

Cultor

25 May 2018

fieldframe wrote:
08 Apr 2018
I've used Circuit with Reason before, and it's not bad. Playing scales on the grid works well, although I wouldn't bother with Circuit's chromatic mode. You'll have to manually map encoders to things, but Remote override makes it fairly painless (and you get quite a few encoders, since each synth and drum channel gives the encoders different MIDI CCs).

The one thing that annoys me about Circuit as a Reason controller is that you have to use chromatic mode for Kong or Redrum - there's no way to map it to use a 4x4 grid.
Hey,
You can actually create a grid yourself.
Put a Kong inside a Combinator and a RPG-8 for every pad you want to control. Don't forget to turn them all off.
Now go inside the Combinator programmer and adjust the keyrange for every RPG-8.
Lastly wire all the CV Gate's from the RPG's to the Pad gate in ;)

It's a bit of work but you only have to set it up once!

• Information