So parallel channels and busses can't be mono??

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
United South

06 Apr 2018

I'm trying to mix entirely in Reason and master in Studio 1 but having issues with duplicating tracks and parallel channels/busses. I created a parallel channel for my mono kicks and no audio is coming thru and the bus channel only shows stereo on fader. So parallel channels can't be mono? Please tell me I'm missing something.

United South

06 Apr 2018

I guess nobody knows?

normen

06 Apr 2018

I guess nobody experienced this when creating a parallel channel. Maybe you try it in a very basic Reason project that can be easily shared. This also removes all error sources from your (probably relatively large and complicated) project file, that way you'd know what should work in a normal project.

selig
RE Developer

06 Apr 2018

United South wrote:
06 Apr 2018
I'm trying to mix entirely in Reason and master in Studio 1 but having issues with duplicating tracks and parallel channels/busses. I created a parallel channel for my mono kicks and no audio is coming thru and the bus channel only shows stereo on fader. So parallel channels can't be mono? Please tell me I'm missing something.
Parallel channels have to be stereo, because the mono channels that feed them have pan knobs. If you don't touch the pan knob, it's essentially mono.

Depending on what you're doing, if you REALLY need mono busses, you'll have to "roll your own" so to speak. Either use an Audio Spider, Line Mixer, or 14:2 mixer, taking direct outs from each Kick. Then take the mono out of the summing device, and patch into a new Mix Channel which will now be mono.

There are "gotchas" with this approach, one being solo won't work correctly (or at all, more accurately). Also, sends will not follow the bus master, meaning if you lower the bus master, the send/return levels stay the same - result: the FX end up louder in proportion to the dry tracks.

But the bigger question why no audio on parallel channels - not sure I can answer that without knowing more about the specific routing/setup you're using…
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

06 Apr 2018

United South wrote:
06 Apr 2018
I guess nobody knows?
Sometimes it may take a little over one hour for someone to answer around here. What we lack in responsiveness we try to make up with sarcasm and dark humor… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

United South

06 Apr 2018

normen wrote:
06 Apr 2018
I guess nobody experienced this when creating a parallel channel. Maybe you try it in a very basic Reason project that can be easily shared. This also removes all error sources from your (probably relatively large and complicated) project file, that way you'd know what should work in a normal project.
Ok thanks

United South

06 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
06 Apr 2018
United South wrote:
06 Apr 2018
Parallel channels have to be stereo, because the mono channels that feed them have pan knobs. If you don't touch the pan knob, it's essentially mono.

Depending on what you're doing, if you REALLY need mono busses, you'll have to "roll your own" so to speak. Either use an Audio Spider, Line Mixer, or 14:2 mixer, taking direct outs from each Kick. Then take the mono out of the summing device, and patch into a new Mix Channel which will now be mono.

There are "gotchas" with this approach, one being solo won't work correctly (or at all, more accurately). Also, sends will not follow the bus master, meaning if you lower the bus master, the send/return levels stay the same - result: the FX end up louder in proportion to the dry tracks.

But the bigger question why no audio on parallel channels - not sure I can answer that without knowing more about the specific routing/setup you're using…
Sounds like too much work I'll just bounce out thanks.

esselfortium

06 Apr 2018

Why do you need the parallel channels to be mono?
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

normen

06 Apr 2018

esselfortium wrote:
06 Apr 2018
I guess it's just because it doesn't work at all for him. You know one of those situations where something doesn't work for SOME reason - because of that you start to look around and for the first time notice something that really doesn't have to do anything with your problem - then you start looking for a solution to that other thing you noticed thinking you could solve your initial problem with that :)

United South

06 Apr 2018

esselfortium wrote:
06 Apr 2018
It’s a track with kicks

normen

06 Apr 2018

There is no practical difference unless you start panning, also for kicks.

aeox
Competition Winner

06 Apr 2018

United South wrote:
06 Apr 2018
esselfortium wrote:
06 Apr 2018
It’s a track with kicks
It's still mono source, so it doesn't make a difference.

selig
RE Developer

06 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
06 Apr 2018
United South wrote:
06 Apr 2018

I TOTALLY mis-read what you said - thought you were talking about mono BUSSES, not parallel channels, so what I wrote (above) probably made no sense.

Yes, parallel channels of mono sources are DEFINITLY mono - just checked a bass track on the song I'm working on to be sure.
You'll have to post more information in order for anyone to determine what's going on in your setup. Only thing I could think is that you are using a stereo FX as an insert or in some other part of your signal path - you SURE there's only one cable coming into each kick channel?
Selig Audio, LLC

United South

06 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
06 Apr 2018
selig wrote:
06 Apr 2018

I TOTALLY mis-read what you said - thought you were talking about mono BUSSES, not parallel channels, so what I wrote (above) probably made no sense.

Yes, parallel channels of mono sources are DEFINITLY mono - just checked a bass track on the song I'm working on to be sure.
You'll have to post more information in order for anyone to determine what's going on in your setup. Only thing I could think is that you are using a stereo FX as an insert or in some other part of your signal path - you SURE there's only one cable coming into each kick channel?
Yes I was talking about mono busses and parallel channels

househoppin09

07 Apr 2018

normen wrote:
06 Apr 2018
You know one of those situations where something doesn't work for SOME reason - because of that you start to look around and for the first time notice something that really doesn't have to do anything with your problem - then you start looking for a solution to that other thing you noticed thinking you could solve your initial problem with that :)
This is easily the best description I've ever seen of what my day-to-day life is like... ;)

• Information