midi notes cut each other off playing at same time

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
grizelda

04 Apr 2018

hello reason friends

i cant think of a way to searcg for this question but i have a problem- when i am using certain RE like kong and rob papen sub bass boom and other certain instruments, when i play one note as if on a mpc and try to play another, if the timing overlaps then the new note cuts off the old one instead what i want is that the two notes play overlapping if that makes sense? i thought it was something to do with decay setting but i am not having the success trialling these stuff.

does anyone know what i mean?

all love

grizel

BassmanJ

04 Apr 2018

Are the synths you're using on a monophonic setting? If so, only one note can sound at a time, so if you play a different note, it shuts off the last one you were playing. I haven't used the bass synth you're using, but a lot of bass synths are monophonic only (since two low-frequency notes playing at the same time rarely sounds very good).

In the case of Kong, check the "mute" pad groups. If two pads are linked in a mute group, one will mute the other when it's played.

esselfortium

04 Apr 2018

This is a bug that's been around for a long time, it's especially maddening when using the groove mixer or randomized quantization, because you have to manually go through and fix any overlapping notes so they don't cut each other off. Notes of different pitches overlapping is fine, but two notes of the same pitch can't overlap without the second one being instantly cut off when it starts. The expected behavior would be for the first note to end when the second one begins. A fix would be very appreciated.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

hhgoat

28 Mar 2023

I know this post is from 2018, but I don't think the good folks at Reason Studios have fixed this bug, or presented a work around feature have they? Just curious cuz I still get this problem all the time and it's 2023... signing off, from the future!

EnochLight

28 Mar 2023

hhgoat wrote:
28 Mar 2023
I know this post is from 2018, but I don't think the good folks at Reason Studios have fixed this bug, or presented a work around feature have they? Just curious cuz I still get this problem all the time and it's 2023... signing off, from the future!
I don't seem to have this issue in Reason 12 (as of 12.5.2 d35). Which version are you on?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

huggermugger

28 Mar 2023

As far as Kong and other drum RE's, I doubt that it's a bug. It's natural for a drum to 'reset' when you repeatedly hit it. The contact of the stick on the drum dampens the drum. Crash cymbals, toms, etc, they all behave like this. When I play sounds with long releases in Kong or Redrum from my Novation keyboard, I get the expected behaviour, the sound is cut off and restarted.

As far as SubBoomBass, make sure you're in Poly Play mode. All the other Play modes are monophonic, which would cause that retriggering you don't like. As per the manual, "Poly puts SubBoomBass-RE in polyphonic mode and the synthesizer has 6 voices".
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 6.11.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 6.11.16 PM.png (132.42 KiB) Viewed 698 times

zumBeispiel

29 Mar 2023

hhgoat wrote:
28 Mar 2023

This will most likely not be the solution to your problem but, in any case, take a look at the following message:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7521418

NMHindman

29 Mar 2023

esselfortium wrote:
04 Apr 2018
This is a bug that's been around for a long time, it's especially maddening when using the groove mixer or randomized quantization, because you have to manually go through and fix any overlapping notes so they don't cut each other off. Notes of different pitches overlapping is fine, but two notes of the same pitch can't overlap without the second one being instantly cut off when it starts. The expected behavior would be for the first note to end when the second one begins. A fix would be very appreciated.
All this time I thought it was just me :-D

EnochLight

29 Mar 2023

Again, not having this issue in 12.5.2 d35. @NMHindman - can you post a video of what you're talking about?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information