Reason 10 problems on High Sierra 10.13.4?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
supersplaron

11 Apr 2018

We're looking into this but one thing that seems to help is to disable Hyperthreading. Also, it would be interesting to know what computers you have. Thanks!

TagNut

11 Apr 2018

Reluctantly upgraded from Yosemite today due to issues with Soundtoys plugins. Great news, soundtoys plugins no longer make Reason hang.

Bad news, Reason runs like an absolute dog on High Sierra 10.13.4 on my machine. I mean significantly worse - glitchy, DSP meter maxing out, slow GUI, just awful.

I opened the forum just now to have a good ole fashioned moan, and here's this thread. Feels good to let it out. That is all (as they say).

supersplaron

11 Apr 2018

TagNut wrote:
11 Apr 2018
Reluctantly upgraded from Yosemite today due to issues with Soundtoys plugins. Great news, soundtoys plugins no longer make Reason hang.

Bad news, Reason runs like an absolute dog on High Sierra 10.13.4 on my machine. I mean significantly worse - glitchy, DSP meter maxing out, slow GUI, just awful.

I opened the forum just now to have a good ole fashioned moan, and here's this thread. Feels good to let it out. That is all (as they say).
What computer are you using?

TagNut

11 Apr 2018

supersplaron wrote:
11 Apr 2018
What computer are you using?
An old one. But Yosemite had no problem with several projects that no longer work on 10.13.4 since upgrading this morning.

provinceofnowhere

11 Apr 2018

Registered to say having the same problem. Kinda annoying as I'd only upgraded from R5 a month ago and was loving R10 until this happened!

Messaged Propellerhead support about it last week but not heard back yet (assuming that, as Supersplaron says, they're looking into it)

Using a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 btw

INFEKT

11 Apr 2018

I too just signed up on here to say that I have the same issues. I thought it was a problem with the latest version of Reason, so I downgraded to 10.0.2, but there was no improvement.

estuary

11 Apr 2018

Even if I disable Hyperthreading, it's better but still unstable and very difficult to work and progress. I just give up.
It's a bit annoying situation because I am stuck now I can't work on my files anymore.
I am thinking about formatting my iMac, and if possible skip the last update.
Or maybe just be patient and wait for positive sign from Propellerhead.

miscend

11 Apr 2018

Time Machine has stopped working for me. I always get a failed to backup message. It’s not just a Reason only issue.

markusw

11 Apr 2018

supersplaron wrote:
11 Apr 2018
We're looking into this but one thing that seems to help is to disable Hyperthreading. Also, it would be interesting to know what computers you have. Thanks!
My computer is a 27" iMac (Late 2012). I upgraded to HS 10.13.4 and I would get total freezes, with huge CPU spikes and even the mouse cursor freezing.

For me, disabling Hyperthreading definitely reduced if not eliminated the frequent freezes. It also immediately reduced the CPU usage by Reason, based on what I see on the DSP meter and in terms of % CPU as seen in the Activity Monitor.

supersplaron

12 Apr 2018

Thanks for your feedback! This is definitely something to do with the latest High Sierra update and we're looking into it as we speak.

TagNut

12 Apr 2018

supersplaron wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Thanks for your feedback! This is definitely something to do with the latest High Sierra update and we're looking into it as we speak.
Do you work at Propellerhead then? And if so, do you have any idea at all how long this may take to fix? I mean are we talking a week, a month, 6 months, or longer?

I ask because I realised last night that it's pretty much unusable on my machine at this point. I'm switching to PC in August anyway and if this is going to take a while I might expedite the order of my new rig (after clearing it with the wife first naturally).

tiker01

12 Apr 2018

TagNut wrote:
12 Apr 2018
supersplaron wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Do you work at Propellerhead then? And if so, do you have any idea at all how long this may take to fix? I mean are we talking a week, a month, 6 months, or longer?

I ask because I realised last night that it's pretty much unusable on my machine at this point. I'm switching to PC in August anyway and if this is going to take a while I might expedite the order of my new rig (after clearing it with the wife first naturally).
Yes he is PH!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

supersplaron

12 Apr 2018

TagNut wrote:
12 Apr 2018
supersplaron wrote:
12 Apr 2018

Yes, Stefan's my name and I'm in charge of social media here at PH. We don't have an estimate for when this will be fixed but we're looking into it right now, it's a priority and we'll let you know as soon as possible. Thanks,

TagNut

12 Apr 2018

Great thank you for taking time to reply.

madmacman

12 Apr 2018

The bad part is, that companies like Propellerhead have to invest time and resources for finding a workaround for a bug caused by Apple. :evil:

And possibly with 10.13.5 it's screwed up again...

TagNut

12 Apr 2018

madmacman wrote:
12 Apr 2018
The bad part is, that companies like Propellerhead have to invest time and resources for finding a workaround for a bug caused by Apple. :evil:

And possibly with 10.13.5 it's screwed up again...
Apple are becoming less and less relevant for creative professionals, I'm jumping ship this year. I believe they're still a necessity if you're coding, unlucky coders.

bossa
Competition Winner

12 Apr 2018

I got same strange issues with reason 10 with my machine using 10.13.4. Whenever i change between full screen & normal mode, there is a "crackle noise". Using the screencapture quicktime videorecordersoftware, the computer won´t play any more in the right way, please see the video. There is something wrong with the graphic behavior between reason and apple system:

https://bossa.macbay.cloud/index.php/f/51859

i think with 10.13.5 Beta it is a bit better!

I use: MacBookPro11,1 Intel Core i7 2,8 GHz 16 GB

tobypearce

12 Apr 2018

I'm getting an issue too. For me, the whole mac hangs for about 10 seconds, as if it's frozen completely. You can't move the mouse, sound cuts out - nothing. Then 10 seconds or so later it just picks back up where it left it. And it happens about once every minute.

The system is completely fine when Reason isn't running.

There's something gone wrong with the new OS update and how it works with Reason.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Telstar5

12 Apr 2018

Re: Problems on High Sierra:
I’m currently deciding between a refurb MacBook Pro or a Dell Inspiron 7000 17.3..
My friends keep telling me not to do music production on a PC but I keep seeing Reason users w problems on High Sierra. Is Windows 10 a smoother Reason ride?

INFEKT

13 Apr 2018

@Telstar5

I would go for a MacBook because of its portability and because I prefer the Operating System, which is a personal preference. Prior to this, I never had any real issues with Reason on High Sierra. It depends on where you want to use it and which OS you prefer.

mooseharris

13 Apr 2018

Had a brief issue with 10.13.4 last week on a late 2012 iMac 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 with 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM: "computer too slow" etc.

My iMac has auto-updated twice in the last couple of days to a couple of different betas of 10.13.5, which seems to be working better, no issues so far.

Just got an email from Props about problems with 10.13.4 telling me not to update. Way too late.

mooseharris

13 Apr 2018

Telstar5 wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Is Windows 10 a smoother Reason ride?
I have it on one of my kids' laptops. Windows 10 is a nightmare if you're coming from a Mac, but Reason seems to run okay given the laptop's limitations. It's a fairly basic HP, less than a year old.

craven

13 Apr 2018

same here, unfortunately updated already to 10.13.4 and experienced the same DSP issues. The warning not to update arrived today, and way too late in my case. Hopefully Props will find out how to deal with this nasty update soon. Thanks for investigating.
:ugeek:

mareku

13 Apr 2018

I have the same problem. On a Mac Pro 64Gb. I hope that disabling Hyperthreading will have some effect.

Sargie

13 Apr 2018

Received this email today from Propellerhead:

Dear Reason user,

It has come to our attention that the latest macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 has a negative impact on Reason's performance. Currently we do NOT recommend you to update your macOS High Sierra to 10.13.4 if you are using Reason.

We're on it and hope to get to the bottom of this as soon as possible.

Note:
Mac OS High Sierra is only supported in Reason 9.5.2 and later, including Reason 10, Reason Intro & Reason Lite.

Best regards
The Reason Team

So, Apple clearly changed or broke something major in what should have been a minor upgrade.

On the other hand, it might not be a bad idea for Propellerhead QA to always run a machine with the latest beta version of the OS on it to try and detect these issues earlier. Most people know not to update to new major versions of OS's without some verification they will work with out software but these minor updates are almost installed automatically these days.

• Information