Reason 10 problems on High Sierra 10.13.4?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Nielsen

03 Apr 2018

I updated my OS to the recently released High Sierra version 10.13.4, but ever since then I'm experiencing occasional but rather frequent performance hiccups in Reason 10. The DPS meter will suddenly max out for no apparent reason and the system will freeze up for 10 seconds or so. The "computer too slow to play song" warning will often accompany these irregular occurrences. I have noticed that the problem is often provoked when one of the A-List drummer devices are being used, but at other times I can use these devices just fine. I had no issues with A-List drummers on earlier macOS versions, but I honestly don't know what the culprit is. Anyone else having similar problems with Reason's CPU usage since the latest High Sierra update?

wendylou

03 Apr 2018

I upgraded to Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.4 and just threw an A-List Classic Drummer on one of my most DSP intensive drum and bass songs and it runs fine at 48 KHz. I do always just the buffer as needed based on the song load. I'm not seeing any sudden jumps in DSP.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

grizelda

04 Apr 2018

have not updated to latest HS, still in 10.13.3 but when i do i shall report back, thanks for heads up

Ash

04 Apr 2018

Hi guys, I just bought my first Mac book pro and having previously used windows I'm struggling with the keyboard shortcuts, the operating system is sierra. The guides I have found don't relate. Do you no of a shortcut guide that is compatible with sierra ? Thanks from a reason talk newbie

Marco Raaphorst

04 Apr 2018

What soundcard are you using?

Maybe you can also check with the build in soundcard?

Nielsen

04 Apr 2018

After updating to High Sierra 10.13.4 I've also noticed that my system sometimes hangs for a few seconds when saving reason files or quitting a loaded song file. Neither that were issues on the previous OS version.
wendylou wrote:
03 Apr 2018
I upgraded to Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.4 and just threw an A-List Classic Drummer on one of my most DSP intensive drum and bass songs and it runs fine at 48 KHz. I do always just the buffer as needed based on the song load. I'm not seeing any sudden jumps in DSP.
And sometimes that will work fine for me too. The issues I'm having after updating are oddly sporadic.
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
04 Apr 2018
What soundcard are you using?

Maybe you can also check with the build in soundcard?
I'm only using the built in sound card on my High Sierra system. My actual studio setup is running another OS.

Do sound cards normally influence CPU behaviour in a DAW?

saxmob

05 Apr 2018

yes i am having these same exact issues after upgrading to 10.13.4

very annoying.
Last edited by saxmob on 05 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Marco Raaphorst

05 Apr 2018

please contact Propellerhead Support.

Pepin

06 Apr 2018

Do others see the cursor lock up entirely and the machine get stuck repeating the same "blip" of audio for a few seconds? If so, I've seen the same thing. It's odd, as there's no hint of high CPU usage until the sudden spike.

I thought it was the recent Reason upgrade, but it may be 10.13.4 (the two updates released around the same time).

Nielsen

07 Apr 2018

Pepin wrote:
06 Apr 2018
Do others see the cursor lock up entirely and the machine get stuck repeating the same "blip" of audio for a few seconds? If so, I've seen the same thing. It's odd, as there's no hint of high CPU usage until the sudden spike.
Yes, exactly.
Pepin wrote:
06 Apr 2018
I thought it was the recent Reason upgrade, but it may be 10.13.4 (the two updates released around the same time).
Maybe the problem is triggered by something in the latest Reason update, which I didn't notice coming out around the same time, but I haven't yet seen complaints from users across the broader macOS or High Sierra spectrum. That's not to say the issue doesn't exist outside High Sierra 10.13.4.

Marco Raaphorst

07 Apr 2018

Anyone contacted the Props about this yet?

miscend

07 Apr 2018

I have not tried Reason yet but I’ve had problems with older applications either crashing or not launching anymore with the latest Sierra update. Apple have obviously broke something with this update.

Pepin

07 Apr 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
07 Apr 2018
Yes

Marco Raaphorst

08 Apr 2018

Pepin wrote:
07 Apr 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
07 Apr 2018
Yes
Great!

jappe

08 Apr 2018

I'm still on Sierra, performance is bad and unreliable, but reluctant to upgrade to high Sierra. Would there be some general performance gain in reason for me to upgrade to High Sierra? (with disregard to this possible problem in 10.13.4)

brand

08 Apr 2018

jappe wrote:
08 Apr 2018
...but reluctant to upgrade to high Sierra....
I have been avoiding upgrade to High Sierra too, but I have not had problems with Sierra so far. I just heard some stories and decided, meh, I'll wait.

Nielsen

08 Apr 2018

jappe wrote:
08 Apr 2018
I'm still on Sierra, performance is bad and unreliable, but reluctant to upgrade to high Sierra. Would there be some general performance gain in reason for me to upgrade to High Sierra? (with disregard to this possible problem in 10.13.4)
I think music producers are better off not upgrading too soon. For example, some manufacturers of studio equipment are more likely to have compatible drivers for the slightly older operating systems.

Last Alternative

09 Apr 2018

Most annoying is the video drag when scrolling around, especially zoomed in on the sequencer. Even in low resolution mode. PH still hasn’t fully fixed the Apple compatibility issues.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

estuary

09 Apr 2018

Hello

I contacted the propellerhead support today.
I updated my iMac this morning with High Sierra 10.13.4 (17E199)
And this is terrible, I am not able to work on my files anymore, reason interface is completely slow and I don't know why.
I tried to clean cache and few things, but I guess it's something related to softwares ...

I worked on my reasons files everyday, open and edit, I could work no problem with reasonable latency and settings.
I am using i7 with 32G ram,
Tried with my 2 scarlett soundcard 2i2 / 18i20 (USB)

If I load a demo files from reason folders, it can be played properly but still I can find a lag/latency while cursor is progressing on the sequencer.
I hope it will be better soon, a bit annoying and stuck now !

(I also get 'freeze' and error when I try to test or adjust my sound setting on reason)

Jonathan

Wensell

09 Apr 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
07 Apr 2018
Yes. Done.

Hi Props!

Hope you can help me (and other users who experience this).

My workstation;
Mac Mini (2012) Quad Core 2,3 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM and 250GB SSD. RME Babyface Pro (using latest drivers) . Mac OSX High Sierra.
R10 settings:
CPU Usage limit: None
Use multi-core audio rendering: ON
Use hyper-threading audio rendering: ON.
Buffer size: Error happens on both high and low buffer size.

I'm getting audio glitches and random DSP usage spikes every now and then. For the first time ever I got warning saying Computer to slow to play song, and this was a project without any VST and Rack extensions and just 6 tracks. Expanding the buffer size doesn't make any difference.

Before updating to High Sierra I never experienced this. Sure, when adding heaps of juicy VSTs and 20-30 tracks DSP usage would rise, but now its complete random, and I never experienced spikes. If I ran my system to hard the sound would just pop/click and I would increase buffer size.

Another feature is a freeze of the system (OS X) when I exit Reason files (CMD+W) for about 10-15 sec. I cant move the mouse or use the keyboard during this. Kinda nerve-racking, fearing my Mini is about to explode:/

estuary

09 Apr 2018

Just got answer from propellerhead support and they are investigating
"We've had other reports pointing to performance problems after the 10.13.4 update and are currently investigating why this happens."

sinnerfire

09 Apr 2018

Im also having problems with "Bounce to track" and generally anytime I try an bounce to audio, my macbook pro freezes for about 5 seconds which is a bit annoying as im currently working on a new free refill for my website.

The problem seemed to start when I updated to High Sierra version 10.13.4 but I thought it might be the new horrible (Green) welcome screen that we got in the lastest Reason 10.0.3d21 update that has broken Reason :roll:

Either way i'll be very interested to see how this pans out.

Cheers.
https://drumandbassasylum.com/ Free Samples + Presets for Reason.

swilliams843

10 Apr 2018

I had the "Computer Too Slow" problem the day after auto updating to High Sierra 10.13.4. I tried a lot of stuff without any luck, then emailed Propellerhead.

I heard back the next day, saying they're aware of issues with the update and suggesting I uncheck the preference "use hyper-threading audio rendering". I did that an hour or two ago, and so far so good :-)

miscend

10 Apr 2018

jappe wrote:
08 Apr 2018
I didn’t notice any degradation in performance when I upgraded my now aging Mac (not including the latest buggy patch). Sierra was a particularly bad release for audio compared to prior versions. Apple made some improvements to the audio drivers in High Sierra so you might get better results whenever you eventually upgrade.

madmacman

11 Apr 2018

Regarding Video in High Sierra 10.13.4: Apple definitely changed some behavior of graphics card support, supporting now external GPU's (eGPU). But they e.g. broke support for monitor extensions via USB (such as many iPad solutions as "2nd display" - duet and others)

So it might be the case that applications like Reason are affected as well - with forced slowdowns, hiccups, etc.

So far I didn't face any issues on my MacBook Pro from 2012 (without Retina), but this might just be luck on my side.

• Information