Reason 10 problems on High Sierra 10.13.4?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jappe

27 Apr 2018

Has anyone had Activity Monitor on to see if something sticks out CPU-utilizationwise when the problems occur?

tobypearce

28 Apr 2018

1gb download - that's one big security patch!
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

MattE605

08 May 2018

I am quite new to Reason, I bought it in March and ran into the same issue on my MacBook Pro 13" 2016. At the time I was using a beta build of 10.13.4 but the problem remained with the released version too. I tried with external interface (NI Komplete Audio) as well as internal, no devices attached, still no luck. Disabling hyperthreading seems to make the issue a bit less severe but it is still there.

A funny thing I found out is: When I move the mouse using an external USB mouse (does not matter what brand, tried several), all graphical animations (e.g. Europa waveforms, but also simple things like the locator) would stop completely. Interestingly enough this does not occur when using the MacBooks touchpad. Activity monitor doesn't even show any specific process spiking, it appears to be some sort of lockup (maybe in the GUI stuff?) more than the synths actually using the CPU power.

Lets hope todays 10.1 update will take care of theses bugs, would really like to start using this software.

estuary

08 May 2018

https://www.propellerheads.se/fr/reason ... ease-notes
Hyper Threading is no longer the default setting on macOS and will be turned off at first launch of Reason 10.1. To turn it on again, just do so in the preferences. This is an intermediate fix for an issue we're experiencing and working on fixing with Reason on macOS 10.13.4.
feels bad man

estuary

09 May 2018

now ~ 1 month for me, still few of my reasons tracks can not be played at all even Hyper Threading or any settings.
Probably nobody cares but I feel terrible, completely stuck.

And I expected something fresh with the yesterday update, seriously it was supposed to be a "'priority" no ?
Somehow disappointed.

Karim
Competition Winner

09 May 2018

I'm still on High Sierra 10.13.2 !! (Don't know why :lol: )
Anyway thanks for heads up... I'll stay in this version until receiving some good news about optimization.

R10 run smoohtly as ever. :thumbs_up:
Nielsen wrote:
03 Apr 2018
I updated my OS to the recently released High Sierra version 10.13.4, but ever since then I'm experiencing occasional but rather frequent performance hiccups in Reason 10. The DPS meter will suddenly max out for no apparent reason and the system will freeze up for 10 seconds or so. The "computer too slow to play song" warning will often accompany these irregular occurrences. I have noticed that the problem is often provoked when one of the A-List drummer devices are being used, but at other times I can use these devices just fine. I had no issues with A-List drummers on earlier macOS versions, but I honestly don't know what the culprit is. Anyone else having similar problems with Reason's CPU usage since the latest High Sierra update?
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

CephaloPod

02 Jun 2018

So is this still an issue? Thinking about installing High Sierra on my iMac (currently running Sierra).
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

madmacman

02 Jun 2018

CephaloPod wrote:
02 Jun 2018
So is this still an issue? Thinking about installing High Sierra on my iMac (currently running Sierra).
There were not Hotfixes on Apple‘s side and from what I remember there weren‘t any significant improvements on R10, either.

Release of 10.13.5 is close, so I would wait another week or so before upgrading.

CephaloPod

02 Jun 2018

madmacman wrote:
02 Jun 2018
CephaloPod wrote:
02 Jun 2018
There were not Hotfixes on Apple‘s side and from what I remember there weren‘t any significant improvements on R10, either.

Release of 10.13.5 is close, so I would wait another week or so before upgrading.
OK, thanks.
Reason/Logic

madmacman

02 Jun 2018

CephaloPod wrote:
02 Jun 2018
madmacman wrote:
02 Jun 2018

OK, thanks.
I sent my reply from my smartphone and didn't realize, I'm late to the party: 10.13.5 has been released yesterday evening (European time). Nevertheless: before upgrading you could still give it another week or so until first reviews/reports are floating around the net.

And 10.13.6 is already in beta (probably the last version before 10.14)

wendylou

02 Jun 2018

No problems for me running latest Reason on Mac OS 10.13.5.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

tvas22

03 Jun 2018

I have upgraded to 10.13.5, still having problems but now only when my interface (Scarlett Solo) is plugged in. I bought Reason 10 (and the interface) recently, and have not been able to use it since. Really frustrating, I was hoping 13.5 would fix everything.

provinceofnowhere

04 Jun 2018

Thanks to previous two posters for updates. Anyone else who was having problems with 10.13.4 taken the leap with 10.13.5?

geronimo

04 Jun 2018

tvas22 wrote:
03 Jun 2018
I have upgraded to 10.13.5, still having problems but now only when my interface (Scarlett Solo) is plugged in.
Update or reinstall Scarlett drivers .

CephaloPod

04 Jun 2018

Apple just announced that the next OS, Mojave, will not run on my machine. Since High Sierra offers little if any benefit over Sierra, and I can't update to Mojave, I think I'll just stay with Sierra for the foreseeable future.
Reason/Logic

djadalaide

04 Jun 2018

Don't upgrade your mac osx version. Bad idea! Stick to Yosemite or earlier

CephaloPod

04 Jun 2018

djadalaide wrote:
04 Jun 2018
Don't upgrade your mac osx version. Bad idea! Stick to Yosemite or earlier
Sierra has worked great for me.
Reason/Logic

Marco Raaphorst

05 Jun 2018

geronimo wrote:
04 Jun 2018
tvas22 wrote:
03 Jun 2018
I have upgraded to 10.13.5, still having problems but now only when my interface (Scarlett Solo) is plugged in.
Update or reinstall Scarlett drivers .
Runs on native Apple Core Audio.

inequals

06 Jun 2018

I just updated to 10.13.5, re-enabled the hyper threading option in Reason 10.1's Preferences, and unfortunately the issue is still there for me.

I'm not sure how it manifests for everyone, but for me it totally FREEZES the whole system in 3-4 seconds of awful silence, reminding me of the past, and also that this sort of thing shouldn't be possible on modern OSs any more, but then I'm running macOS on generic PC hardware, and that's not supposed to be possible either so, shrug emoji.

I've followed the article on Prop's support site, I recommend you do that as well. IME they really don't like performance issues such as this so I would say with confidence that they will resolve it one way or another (worst case scenario being, they disable hyper-threaded audio rendering on macOS altogether, but I'm sure Props view this as undesirable as we do)[/url]

moneykube

07 Jun 2018

inequals wrote:
06 Jun 2018
I just updated to 10.13.5, re-enabled the hyper threading option in Reason 10.1's Preferences, and unfortunately the issue is still there for me.

I'm not sure how it manifests for everyone, but for me it totally FREEZES the whole system in 3-4 seconds of awful silence, reminding me of the past, and also that this sort of thing shouldn't be possible on modern OSs any more, but then I'm running macOS on generic PC hardware, and that's not supposed to be possible either so, shrug emoji.

I've followed the article on Prop's support site, I recommend you do that as well. IME they really don't like performance issues such as this so I would say with confidence that they will resolve it one way or another (worst case scenario being, they disable hyper-threaded audio rendering on macOS altogether, but I'm sure Props view this as undesirable as we do)[/url]
gateway problem on link... um... I reported these issues a number of times... each time they denied the issues... they said it was not a thing... maybe they are admitting it now ... I don't know... but I gave up and reverted back to an older os after a month of troubleshooting and pulling out my hair... the first step is to admit there is a problem... I have not even attempted the newer versions of high sierra... and had problems with Sierra as well
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

sequence

07 Jun 2018

This happens to me too, super annoying!
Pepin wrote:
06 Apr 2018
Do others see the cursor lock up entirely and the machine get stuck repeating the same "blip" of audio for a few seconds? If so, I've seen the same thing. It's odd, as there's no hint of high CPU usage until the sudden spike.

I thought it was the recent Reason upgrade, but it may be 10.13.4 (the two updates released around the same time).

Studio67

09 Jun 2018

Was having a lot of problems with Reason: 10.1d160 build 9239 on High Sierra.... I am on a iMac 5K i7.
Problems and behavior: a lot of Cracks and pops when moving sliders with the mouse. Strange thing was: When opening a VST synth and minimize reason on the background (only VST on the desktop) the sliders where working ok. After searching, reading, testing a found a working solution for me:
1) System preferences read this: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U ... references
2) If you are working with A Wacom Tablet, don't use it in Reason
3) Use Reason in a low-res mode (use apple+i on the app and choose low rez mode)
4) for Scarlet users: update the Scarlett drivers (mix control) and updated the firmware from your hardware
5) use 44.1 kHz

This solved all my problems for now, i think there is something todo with the Graphic interface (GUI) from reason and the newest High Sierra,
hope this will be solved soon by the props..

I hope the props will use Vector graphics for the interface and Metal (MacOS Api) Please Props it's time to renew the graphics (with zoom etc)

geronimo

09 Jun 2018

CephaloPod wrote:
04 Jun 2018
Sierra has worked great for me.
+ 1 at home _

estuary

14 Jun 2018

Hi

Since 10.13.5 if I disabled "Use Hyper-Threading Audio Rendering" it's terrible very slow.
So maybe something changed ... but still it's not stable.

Not able to edit and work on some of my files since now few months (?)
I had to start new projects so it was fine with DSP at first, but I sometimes get system freeze and some instruments or effects crash often ...
There is few plugins such as reverb, I don't even use or the DSP or crashes get intense.
I got error like 'This instrument has crashed save your document and restart reason blabla"
I am peaceful and I have to relativise but it's really annoying.

I am very surprised we don't get update or patch something from propellerheads, (I don't mean it's their fault)
But please ... hurry up. Do you realise it's critical for some users.

I sent e-mail to support again, asked them if they could provide me an early version of reason 10, or at least reason 9 or something.
I am not sure it's possible to find it online somewhere, If someone got the link or the .dmg, I appreciate it.

Thank you.

miscend

15 Jun 2018

CephaloPod wrote:
04 Jun 2018
Apple just announced that the next OS, Mojave, will not run on my machine. Since High Sierra offers little if any benefit over Sierra, and I can't update to Mojave, I think I'll just stay with Sierra for the foreseeable future.
Same problem here. The issue is that Reason will eventually stop supporting High Sierra.

• Information