Reason 10 Intro EUR79 / USD99

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
antic604

03 Apr 2018

Well this was unexpected:

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/reason-10-intro/

Limited to 16 tracks, with a selection of native instruments (Europa, but no Grain, etc.), effects and full support for RE and VST.

madmacman

03 Apr 2018

I did expect it for an hour or so - after reading this forum post:

viewtopic.php?p=384898#p384898

EDIT: ;)

antic604

03 Apr 2018

madmacman wrote:
03 Apr 2018
I did expect it for an hour or so - after reading this forum post:

viewtopic.php?p=384898#p384898

I mean it's an interesting tactic, although I'd have done it differently - I'd offer ALL native instruments & effects, give access to REs and NOT to the VSTs. This way people get to taste (and focus on) Reason's biggest strengths: native devices, rack, mixer, routing, seamless integration of REs, etc. Such a constrained - to 16 tracks - environment would also be great to ReWire to other DAWs, but even alone it would be enough for most beats & EDM music and/or would require some creative thinking (bouncing full sequences to Kong/Rex, using sequencers & Combinators to effectively increase the number of voices, etc.).

With all due respect & love for Reason, I don't think anyone in their sane mind would get Reason as a sequencer for VSTs, because both require substantial make-over.

In my opinion introductory version should focus on showcasing the strengths, not the weaknesses.

Zac

03 Apr 2018

I love it that props are going all out for new business. They never could before vst integration. Now they can! I see the results on kvr so hope that relates to sales. Reason is beginning to be seen differently i think.

I just wish they'd update 9.5 with the 10.0.3 improvements to vsts as i can't afford the update right now... haha.

EdGrip

03 Apr 2018

Nailed it, I'd say.
Direct competitor to Ableton Live Intro, which is probably Reason's nearest genre neighbour (other than Bitwig, which has no such "intro" version). Live Intro has VST support and benefits from Live being higher profile than Reason, so VST support is a must for Reason Intro (and I imagine would be a deal-breaker for novice users facing that choice).

I'd say it's a very attractive offer compared to Live Intro, and should snag lots of new users.

Pralijah

03 Apr 2018

This will be easy to recommend to other hobby users.
Make music shake again!

EnochLight

03 Apr 2018

This is worth $99 USD for the Audio Pitch Editor alone!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

qn5

03 Apr 2018

EnochLight wrote:
03 Apr 2018
Seriously. Reason's is more natural sounding than everything else out there.
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

Oquasec

03 Apr 2018

So is essentials gone?
Propellerhead already had the reaper price tag as an option so this will be interesting to see.
Nothing but good ideas so far.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

esselfortium

03 Apr 2018

EnochLight wrote:
03 Apr 2018
Oh wow, no kidding! I'm glad they included that here.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

sdst
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2018

this is a very very good offer, is close to the Full reason

limited to 16 tracks but

i don't remember doing a song with more than 16 tracks

EnochLight

03 Apr 2018

qn5 wrote:
03 Apr 2018
EnochLight wrote:
03 Apr 2018
Seriously. Reason's is more natural sounding than everything else out there.
Well, Melodyne sounds just as good, but Melodyne Essential (which is what Reason's audio pitch editor is comparable to IMHO) costs $99 USD alone and you don't even get a DAW with it. :o :shock: The value of Reason Intro with its audio pitch editor is truly incredible - I can't think of any other DAW out there that offers such a feature at that price.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Noplan
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2018

sdst wrote:
03 Apr 2018
this is a very very good offer, is close to the Full reason

limited to 16 tracks but

i don't remember doing a song with more than 16 tracks
Yes, I see no limitation, just an invitation for another workflow and make final decisions. You can bounce multiple tracks to one track and also save the steps in multiple project files if you want to make some changes.

QVprod

03 Apr 2018

antic604 wrote:
03 Apr 2018

I mean it's an interesting tactic, although I'd have done it differently - I'd offer ALL native instruments & effects, give access to REs and NOT to the VSTs. This way people get to taste (and focus on) Reason's biggest strengths: native devices, rack, mixer, routing, seamless integration of REs, etc. Such a constrained - to 16 tracks - environment would also be great to ReWire to other DAWs, but even alone it would be enough for most beats & EDM music and/or would require some creative thinking (bouncing full sequences to Kong/Rex, using sequencers & Combinators to effectively increase the number of voices, etc.).

With all due respect & love for Reason, I don't think anyone in their sane mind would get Reason as a sequencer for VSTs, because both require substantial make-over.

In my opinion introductory version should focus on showcasing the strengths, not the weaknesses.
The modulation capabilities of combining VSTs with Reason devices is the selling point of including it. That's also one of it's strengths now. The days of VST being a separate thing from Reason are long over now. Though 16 tracks is plenty for many songs. Since mix channels don't count as tracks, you still have plenty of routing flexibility with say Kong, while still only using 1 track. I rarely have 16 different instruments in my productions.

United South

03 Apr 2018

I wonder if this a total new coding from the ground up? If so maybe their working on a whole new Reason rewrite.

EnochLight

03 Apr 2018

United South wrote:
03 Apr 2018
I wonder if this a total new coding from the ground up? If so maybe their working on a whole new Reason rewrite.
I doubt it. There would have been much less labor, R&D, and cost in general in just deactivating the missing features and making a new build, and then call it Reason Intro. The majority of the work was probably already done in Essentials before it was retired as a product.

Pralijah

03 Apr 2018

It looks as if they have done the limitations in a good thought out way. I am glad to have the full version, but would I start out now, comparing DAWs, this Intro version is spot on, to try out the Reason environment, or why not as a second DAW. There is hope at the horizon with needed moves like this. They are up there as a very good alternative now. Hope many new users get on board, to see this platform blossom.
Make music shake again!

BassmanJ

03 Apr 2018

If this is their replacement for Essentials, I think they've nailed it. Having used Essentials up until last month's $99 upgrade, I'll admit that Subtractor and ID-8 felt really stale after not very long. Offering Thor, Europa and Kong really does make Reason Intro a pretty great DAW by itself and the price will absolutely attract new users, while still dangling some pretty sweet carrots (Grain, ReWire, Radical Piano, etc.) for those who want to step it up.

abeonis

03 Apr 2018

Zac wrote:
03 Apr 2018
I just wish they'd update 9.5 with the 10.0.3 improvements to vsts as i can't afford the update right now... haha.
Hum... I am still waiting a compelling reason to update 9.5 to 10. What are the improvements regarding vst support in 10.0.3? Thx.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 9.5 | Live 10 Suite + Push2 | Intel i7 8700K | 16 GB RAM | Scarlett 6x6 | Arturia MiniLab MK II | 2x Novation LaunchControl XL

miscend

03 Apr 2018

For new users I think Reason Intro at $80 offers much better value than the Reason 9.5 to 10 upgrade at $130.

Reason Intro is honestly is an awesome deal for what you get with it. It's a killer set of tools which you can augment with cheap or freeware VSTs and RE's to create a killer music making setup.

However it makes the full version of Reason seem like bad value, you pay a lot more for not much more utility. Then you have to worry about $130 annual upgrades.

EnochLight

03 Apr 2018

abeonis wrote:
03 Apr 2018
Hum... I am still waiting a compelling reason to update 9.5 to 10. What are the improvements regarding vst support in 10.0.3? Thx.
Regarding VST support? There's no changes from 9.5 to 10.0.3 really. The only reason to upgrade would be to get Grain, Europa, and the additional sample content. If you don't need that, then I'd wait it out and see what appears next. ;)

Oquasec

03 Apr 2018

Reason 10 is Reason 9 with 6 Re bundled into it which would be 400$ separate, so basically just a bundle at a discount.
Last edited by Oquasec on 03 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Heater

03 Apr 2018

A very good price. I hope they offer a nice upgrade path.

Zac

03 Apr 2018

abeonis wrote:
03 Apr 2018
Zac wrote:
03 Apr 2018
Only judging by what I've read on this forum it's about loading times improving mainly? But that's best guess, I'm still on 9.5 (prop username = tincture haha).

• Information