Poor PC Performance

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

06 Apr 2018

Smee wrote:
06 Apr 2018
I am convinced you pay a heavy penalty for Reasons GUI, its the major difference between the two platforms.
Pretty sure Reason's GUI/UX is all simple bitmaps - it couldn't be any less CPU intensive, for what it does, IMHO (aside from the graphical EQ window for the main mixer, which you can only have 1 instance open at any given time anyway). Clearly there's room for improvement, though!

I'm not sure how much more people can beat a dead horse in this thread - we all know Reason's VST performance needs to be improved. There's no reason to suggest it won't happen at some point.

Fun fact: as lean as Reaper is, I've never found it inspiring. At. All. :oops:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

househoppin09

07 Apr 2018

EnochLight wrote:
06 Apr 2018
This really is the key, and it's why I always feel like all of the "Reason is the wrong DAW for you if you have a heavily VST-intensive workflow/are mainly doing non-electronic tracks/etc." naysayers are just totally missing the point. The best DAW is whatever DAW you enjoy using the most, period.

I make lots of music for which Reason is the "wrong DAW" according to people in this thread and elsewhere. But guess what? When I fire up other DAWs, even if they're logically better suited to the project at hand, I simply don't feel as comfortable in them as I do in Reason. There's something about the rack that just feels like the audio production equivalent of throwing on a delightful pair of fuzzy slippers and a bathrobe and kicking back in a favorite armchair.

Nothing feels too much like work in Reason, even when it's technically more work than it would be in other DAWs. I do my best work when I can feel like I'm at play. I find the stark, businesslike list- and menu-driven UIs of other DAWs excruciatingly stifling. So, that's what Reason does for me, and I strongly suspect I'm in good company. I don't know why some people have so much trouble understanding that, or why so many people cling to this idea that there's no point in using Reason unless you explicitly require all of its modulation and routing flexibility.

Smee

07 Apr 2018

[/quote]
[/quote]

Fair point. Reaper is a totally blank canvas whereas Reason is more like a tinkers toy shop. Precisely why I'm so keen to find out if it's just my crappy machine and something I can fix or some other factors outside my control, I love using Reason.
I love cats - they taste just like chicken.

Smee

07 Apr 2018

househoppin09 wrote:
07 Apr 2018
EnochLight wrote:
06 Apr 2018
This really is the key, and it's why I always feel like all of the "Reason is the wrong DAW for you if you have a heavily VST-intensive workflow/are mainly doing non-electronic tracks/etc." naysayers are just totally missing the point. The best DAW is whatever DAW you enjoy using the most, period.

I make lots of music for which Reason is the "wrong DAW" according to people in this thread and elsewhere. But guess what? When I fire up other DAWs, even if they're logically better suited to the project at hand, I simply don't feel as comfortable in them as I do in Reason. There's something about the rack that just feels like the audio production equivalent of throwing on a delightful pair of fuzzy slippers and a bathrobe and kicking back in a favorite armchair.

Nothing feels too much like work in Reason, even when it's technically more work than it would be in other DAWs. I do my best work when I can feel like I'm at play. I find the stark, businesslike list- and menu-driven UIs of other DAWs excruciatingly stifling. So, that's what Reason does for me, and I strongly suspect I'm in good company. I don't know why some people have so much trouble understanding that, or why so many people cling to this idea that there's no point in using Reason unless you explicitly require all of its modulation and routing flexibility.

yup, I totally agree with all that too - it's just with the type of music I create the performance hit is a real deal breaker. For all it's fabulous GUI and unique workflow, at the end of the day I don't get paid for nice looking DAWs - I need to spit out high-quality music, else my mortgage doesn't get paid.
I love cats - they taste just like chicken.

demt

07 Apr 2018

a trick amongst 1000s
right click start button
right click power options; settings appears
right click power and sleep
under related settings hit additional power settings
click high performance and on the same line click change plan settings
click change advanced power settings
in the fly out menu set to high performance active
scroll down to processor power management
click the plus sign
on maximum processor state click the plus sign
click on % setting
adjust processor speed between 1 and a 100 %
amongst all the tricks this wons the most therapeutic
and once youve done it a couple of times is fairly easy and safe
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

normen

07 Apr 2018

EnochLight wrote:
06 Apr 2018
Pretty sure Reason's GUI/UX is all simple bitmaps - it couldn't be any less CPU intensive, for what it does, IMHO (aside from the graphical EQ window for the main mixer, which you can only have 1 instance open at any given time anyway). Clearly there's room for improvement, though!
Idk, to me Reasons UI feels like it‘s rendered by a 30 year old cross-platform pixel pushing library. Low resolution, slow update rate and often times people talk about issues and crackles when scrolling the rack. So yeah, I think it could probably be less CPU intensive ^^

househoppin09

07 Apr 2018

Smee wrote:
07 Apr 2018
yup, I totally agree with all that too - it's just with the type of music I create the performance hit is a real deal breaker. For all it's fabulous GUI and unique workflow, at the end of the day I don't get paid for nice looking DAWs - I need to spit out high-quality music, else my mortgage doesn't get paid.
Perfectly understandable. If you can't get your system to keep up with the specific tasks you need to complete when running Reason, then you can't. (Though I will say, with a powerful enough rig and a working style that allows for leaner templates, just about every kind of music is perfectly doable in Reason from my personal experience.) I think one thing we can definitely all agree on is that Props really do need to do better on performance, and they very much need to make good on the improvements in that area that they've promised they're working on.

• Information