Interview: Aeox, ES01 Song Challenge winner!

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
ReasonTalk

24 Mar 2018

He just won Ekssperimental Sound Studio's ES01 Song Challenge: we jumped on the opportunity to ask Aeox a few questions!

Read the article here!

strangers
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2018

Enjoyed reading that, thanks! Aeox's win was well deserved. There's a lot to appreciate when someone can write a song like this that isn't over the top yet flows and hits nicely as one. As a guitarist myself I'm very interested in knowing more about your process of utilizing guitar pedals and amps. The inner gear nerd in me is even more curious to know which pedals and amps. I've got a ton of pedals, particularly reverb and delay of all sorts, that I never thought to use with Reason until now.

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2018

strangers wrote:
26 Mar 2018
Enjoyed reading that, thanks! Aeox's win was well deserved. There's a lot to appreciate when someone can write a song like this that isn't over the top yet flows and hits nicely as one. As a guitarist myself I'm very interested in knowing more about your process of utilizing guitar pedals and amps. The inner gear nerd in me is even more curious to know which pedals and amps. I've got a ton of pedals, particularly reverb and delay of all sorts, that I never thought to use with Reason until now.
Hey strangers! I'm not sure how others would accomplish this, but here is how I did it..

First you'll need a interface with more than two outputs(the first two outputs on my interface go to the monitors). The cheapest option I could find was the Behringer UMC404HD for 99$. I send the synth audio out of the interface into a reamp box, which then goes into the pedal/amps and then back into the input preamp.

For amps I use a Orange Micro Dark (using the FX send to route the signal back into the interface preamp, not the speaker out) and also I use a Joyo Bluejay as well. I've got a Joyo Analog Chorus (which is a Boss CE-2 clone I believe), Boss DS-1, Behringer Vintage Tube Monster, and a Joyo Roll Boost for pedals.

Hope this answers your question!

strangers
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2018

aeox wrote:
26 Mar 2018
Hey strangers! I'm not sure how others would accomplish this, but here is how I did it..

First you'll need a interface with more than two outputs(the first two outputs on my interface go to the monitors). The cheapest option I could find was the Behringer UMC404HD for 99$. I send the synth audio out of the interface into a reamp box, which then goes into the pedal/amps and then back into the input preamp.

For amps I use a Orange Micro Dark (using the FX send to route the signal back into the interface preamp, not the speaker out) and also I use a Joyo Bluejay as well. I've got a Joyo Analog Chorus (which is a Boss CE-2 clone I believe), Boss DS-1, Behringer Vintage Tube Monster, and a Joyo Roll Boost for pedals.

Hope this answers your question!
Thanks for the detailed response. I'm going to try that this week and see how things turn out. Have been more pleased with the results running through the distortion/OD pedals or through the Orange? Or are you running both through both?

I'm a Mesa Boogie guy. I'm almost scared to find out what a synth sounds like ran through a Rectifier or Mark Series.

Have you used an modulation or time based pedals with Reason? I've got some cool analog and tape delays that I was on the verge of selling this week but may keep if I have too much fun trying out your methods.

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2018

strangers wrote:
27 Mar 2018
Thanks for the detailed response. I'm going to try that this week and see how things turn out. Have been more pleased with the results running through the distortion/OD pedals or through the Orange? Or are you running both through both?
I prefer the mini amps over the pedals for distortion/OD. Probably because my current pedals are rather cheap and don't sound so good. The DS-1 is the most noisy thing I've ever heard! Tube Monster is okay for the price. To be fair, the Orange Micro Dark is fairly noisy as well but I find that it's noise that adds to the character instead of being an annoyance
Haven't really tried chaining the distortion pedals with the amps yet, but I've done the Joyo Boost pedal and chorus.

strangers wrote:
27 Mar 2018
I'm a Mesa Boogie guy. I'm almost scared to find out what a synth sounds like ran through a Rectifier or Mark Series.
Heres a Boogie! He's running it through the cab and recording though. I'm doing line out of the amp with no cab (the Micro Dark has a Cab emulation out on the front though)

There is also the JOYO Zombie mini amp which aims to mimic the Mesa sound.
strangers wrote:
27 Mar 2018
Have you used an modulation or time based pedals with Reason? I've got some cool analog and tape delays that I was on the verge of selling this week but may keep if I have too much fun trying out your methods.
For now I've only done distortion/OD and chorus.

O1B

16 Oct 2018

:thumbs_up: Congrats. :thumbs_up:

Hope you don't mind me bumping this Thread.
lots of Talent on this board. To win, says something about your skills.
Nice.

And, now I know some of your Gear. (Outside of Reason)
: Amplification x2. Modulation - Chorus. Distortion. Overdrive. Boost.
Orange. Joyo. Boss. Behringer.
Thanks.
aeox wrote:
26 Mar 2018

• Information