Reason without VST plugins is much better (poll)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Are you using reason without VST?

Yes - I have disabled VST search folder
20%
No - I use VST's with Reason
80%

Total votes: 126
Troyvasanth

23 Mar 2018

Hey Guys,
I am not sure if this topic is discussed. I searched few pages and I couldn't find any. If it already exists please forgive me.
To the topic at hand -
I always liked the idea of VST plugins in Reason and I was very excited when Reason 9.5 released.
But to my surprise using VST in reason became a nightmare. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the way VST's are implemented into Reason.
Its the CPU usage and stability which bothers me. Also I have a shit load of VST plugins and it gets very annoying to deal with them.
Finally I disabled VST plugins and I am actually enjoying reason with just the stock and RE devices.
I feel It pushes one to be more creative with less tools than a whole array of choices.
So just out of curiosity I wanted to know how many of us are sailing in the same boat.

raymondh

23 Mar 2018

VST's in Reason are great.

Optimised, no. But useful and productive, yes.

Rason

23 Mar 2018

Hi I think most ppl would agree you are right. I believe there are many discussions on this here. Props allowed vst and it is great and well thought out but the cpu + other issues, e.g. some vsts not loading at all, make it not suitable to base the entire production on them. Which is good. Guys can have their serum loaded, fine, but the RE format still dominates. I would always prefer RE version over vst having the plugin with both formats. The newest SDK makes REs almost equal to VSTs.. probably, and the benefits of having RE in reason are obvious.

antic604

23 Mar 2018

OP, why you've not voted?

Yes, I purchased Reason for its native stuff & despite having a lot of VSTs for now I'm all native (+ selected REs). I don't feel the need to use VSTs.

hurricane
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2018

Troyvasanth wrote:
23 Mar 2018

Finally I disabled VST plugins and I am actually enjoying reason with just the stock and RE devices.
I'm using VSTs more than REs and internal factory synths (including Europa and Grain). Good thing we have a choice, right?
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2018

I use Ozones exciter because I haven't found something in that category in the RE world that I like enough. The new Selig EQ saturation was alright but I still prefer the Ozone exciter.
Other than that I I pretty much use REs instead. I have most of what I need in RE format already, plenty EQs, compressors, synths to choose from. I have no particular wish to dive into the whole VST market at this point.

EdGrip

23 Mar 2018

This'll go to the wire.

Oquasec

23 Mar 2018

Vst in reason are great and convenient. but I like the sandboxed way and can just use Ableton live for midi channels and stuff.
Reason is fine how it is and they honestly should just focus on making more Reason devices like Europa & Grain instead.
In my opinion I think propellerhead should keeps vsts a secondhand thing and just make more built in plugins just because.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Psuper

23 Mar 2018

I can't figure out many reasons someone would disable VST altogether. I use midiloopback even now after we have native VST, however still have vst enabled for pure convenience.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

aeox
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2018

Psuper wrote:
23 Mar 2018
I can't figure out many reasons someone would disable VST altogether.
Me either. I'll always opt for the RE alternative but there are some things that are just handy to have in the VST world.

esselfortium

23 Mar 2018

Kontakt and UVI libraries are a huge part of my current projects, which wouldn’t have been possible (or at least, remotely convenient) if not for VST handling in Reason. I’m looking forward to further optimization but getting a lot of mileage out of what we have now.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Loque

23 Mar 2018

RE and build in are my first choice, always. Every time i pick a VST i have a bad feeling in my mind. Can i open the song again on my next machine? Does this VST still work? Where can i find this crappy vst? Where is my damn license key? Did i deautorized the old license? Is the site still online?...?
Reason12, Win10

hurricane
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2018

Loque wrote:
23 Mar 2018
RE and build in are my first choice, always. Every time i pick a VST i have a bad feeling in my mind. Can i open the song again on my next machine? Does this VST still work? Where can i find this crappy vst? Where is my damn license key? Did i deautorized the old license? Is the site still online?...?
Wow. It must be mind-blowing to you how those who don't use Reason have been getting along just fine for years.

Are you familiar with the "Allegory of the Cave" ? :D
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Loque

24 Mar 2018

hurricane wrote:
23 Mar 2018
Loque wrote:
23 Mar 2018
Wow. It must be mind-blowing to you how those who don't use Reason have been getting along just fine for years.

Are you familiar with the "Allegory of the Cave" ? :D
No, i am not. And before i completly switched to reason, my experience with VSTs were crashes, struggling with licenses, re-download from many many different pages which took days... Now with 64bit most would not load anymore, crash even more and would not be available anymore. I guess VST users wish they had a -"sync all" button ;)
Reason12, Win10

hurricane
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2018

Well that sucks.

Even though I absolutely love using VSTs, I will admit there is some sort of comfort in knowing I have Reason and all its stock instruments and effects in my back pocket.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

moneykube

24 Mar 2018

if I need vst I use a different daw... no like search time waiting and crappy vst that crash
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

seqoi

24 Mar 2018

raymondh wrote:
23 Mar 2018

+ 1000

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2018

I currently don't as the VSTs I have, as good as they are, I can do just fine without them. I do have a fairly comprehensive library of Refills and samples though.

That being said I am really considering a combo of EWQL composer cloud and Sampletank 3 right now.
Last edited by avasopht on 24 Mar 2018, edited 1 time in total.

BRIGGS

24 Mar 2018

Mucho cpu = El bounceo de audio :lol:
r11s

mreese80

24 Mar 2018

Without vst's this daw would be behind even further than it is. It took vst's to give reason more hype. 9.5 was released and this daw was getting so much traffic. For those of you who continue to cry about vst's...don't use them. It's simple.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

Noplan
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2018

I have not used VSTs yet, but I would not say Reason would be better without VSTs. It's basically an option for the people who want to use it. And maybe I'll need a VST at some point. You do not know what the future holds.

Aosta

24 Mar 2018

Have never used a VST in Reason and don't intend to. I jumped to Reason in the first place to get away from them.
Tend the flame

rgdaniel

24 Mar 2018

I gathered a few free VSTs just to see what the fuss was about, so I haven't disabled them (yet). But I've not dived in all the way. The better VSTs are too rich for my blood. A couple of the free or cheap ones (not from Prop Shop) are good enough to keep around though. If VSTs in general contribute to a healthier, more future-proof Propellerheads, then I'm happy for everybody.

strangers
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2018

raymondh wrote:
23 Mar 2018

Spot on. :thumbs_up:

I'm curious as to why several people are complaining about "crappy VST" and crashing? I trial all RE and VST regardless of being free, promotional, sale or full price. Unless you're completely skipping or don't bother with that step why are you acquiring and holding onto "crappy VSTs" anyway?

I'm very selective with the VSTs I purchase. If they improve my workflow, speed up a process that takes several RE's or just flat out handle a task better than a RE then it's money well spent. Aside from obvious opimization issues, I've yet to come across a VST that hasn't loaded or crashed my session all while working on a laptop that's probably nowhere near the powerhouse that most of you guys are working with.

jlgrimes

24 Mar 2018

Troyvasanth wrote:
23 Mar 2018
Hey Guys,
I am not sure if this topic is discussed. I searched few pages and I couldn't find any. If it already exists please forgive me.
To the topic at hand -
I always liked the idea of VST plugins in Reason and I was very excited when Reason 9.5 released.
But to my surprise using VST in reason became a nightmare. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the way VST's are implemented into Reason.
Its the CPU usage and stability which bothers me. Also I have a shit load of VST plugins and it gets very annoying to deal with them.
I feel It pushes one to be more creative with less tools than a whole array of choices.
So just out of curiosity I wanted to know how many of us are sailing in the same boat.

IMO Reason with VSTS has taken a performance hit. Reason 10 years ago was the king of efficiency but with VSTS and even REs, Reason can be just as a hog as any other DAW. It is even worse as it lacks Freeze.

That said if you use VSTS REs sparingly, it still have a good workflow.

• Information