Reason without VST plugins is much better (poll)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Are you using reason without VST?

Yes - I have disabled VST search folder
20%
No - I use VST's with Reason
80%

Total votes: 126
avasopht
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2018

Okay, so I've loaded my first VST into Reason, the Halion Sonic trial.

It's like my last set of refills was a Yamaha Motif and I've been upgraded to an MOXF8.

That being said, my refills are pretty strong so I'm struggling to justify getting Halion, and I'm thinking the only next step up from this is to get something like East West Composer Cloud.

PortendingHonor

03 Apr 2018

Really not sure what some people are complaining about. I would guess some of these problems must be hardware specific. I started using VST's about a month ago in R10, and I haven't had it crash yet. Haven't had it slow anything down more than usual.

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2018

avasopht wrote:
03 Apr 2018

It's like my last set of refills was a Yamaha Motif and I've been upgraded to an MOXF8.

That being said, my refills are pretty strong so I'm struggling to justify getting Halion, and I'm thinking the only next step up from this is to get something like East West Composer Cloud.
The more I play with this the more I find myself changing my mind. But I'm not sure if it's more about the reverb than anything else.

Also it uses much more CPU, to the point of being unplayable in Reason with more than 4 notes playing on the default patch.

chimp_spanner

09 Apr 2018

avasopht wrote:
09 Apr 2018
avasopht wrote:
03 Apr 2018

The more I play with this the more I find myself changing my mind. But I'm not sure if it's more about the reverb than anything else.

Also it uses much more CPU, to the point of being unplayable in Reason with more than 4 notes playing on the default patch.
HalionSonic is fantastic (I have HS2) but it *needs* multi-channel MIDI input to be CPU efficient. Really hoping that comes to 10.5 or 11.

guitfnky

09 Apr 2018

I love VSTs in Reason, and haven’t had many issues with CPU usage or stability. that’s probably because I reach for them only as a last resort. I use a multisampled drum plugin (Addictive Drums 2) in every project, and U-He’s Satin tape plugin on most individual tracks, but that’s mostly it. REs for just about everything else.

I can see how it would be frustrating for people who are heavy VST users to get access to them in Reason, but not have them be very efficient or stable. I’m guessing for people who use them more as a supplement to REs and the stock devices, like I do, we see the implementation in a more positive light.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information