Feeling played by Reason's Players (W/ Pets and cake)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
RobC

22 Mar 2018

Mostly, the scales and chords. I was expecting to be able to do everything with it, but in reality, so far it seems it does less than when I compose the regular way.

Note echo... limited possibilities, again.

Now, arpeggiators are fun to play with, even if I probably wouldn't use them for composing. That's a good one, though, I'd say.

-

This is just my first impression, though. I have a feeling, if people rely on these entirely, it will result in all those samey electronic tunes today.
Somehow I didn't find them inspiring for "sketching" either. Seems too basic, where you can't create complicated chords.
Last edited by RobC on 24 Mar 2018, edited 1 time in total.

BRIGGS

22 Mar 2018

I use them as a tool to get some notes down quickly then export to a midi clip for further modification. No complaints here. And, there's less writers block this way.
r11s

EpiGenetik

22 Mar 2018

Hi,

What kind of features would you like to see added to them?

Cheers

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2018

This topic is a little de-ja-vu for me, last time it turned not so nice... anyway

This track I did was done after a lot of people were "moaning\complaining" about the players etc.

I thought I was quite creative with the players as in, it did not sound like it made with players...

I also did a fun (Political) version of that track..

I do find them useful for coming up with ideas\fill-in's etc..

PoohBear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

emilng

22 Mar 2018

The players are great for making generative music. If you throw them in a combinator you can use CV automation for turning players on and off and changing the scale range and note repeats on the fly. Scales and chords is great for pads or for routing to the arpeggiator.

edit: they're also useful for getting generative note data out into the sequencer

Catblack

22 Mar 2018

I think the players are great. I recently cracked the code as to how to use cv to change the scale on a scales and chords player (using PSQ.) But along the way really thought about what they were doing. I think you shouldn't discount the Note Echo so readily. It's actually really damn handy once you get to know it.

I honestly think that we'll see more Players from Propellerhead this year. In fact having VST midi implemented via an internal Player midi bus seems like the most logical way for them to do it.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

RobC

22 Mar 2018

I remember people feeling intimidated when they first saw the players, like omg, songwriters would become obsolete because of that, or whatever. Personally, I'm very open to trying new things. If it works for others, then that's great, too.

Remember, it was only my quick first impression; but I expected something like being able to program on the device what notes get played when you play a specific key. For example, if I press the A key, then why not play A, B, and C notes. It's not a sin to play notes that are next to each-other. Results can be weird, but don't sound strictly programmed at the same time.
Honestly, when I build up a chord progression, I'll just play the keys, cause pressing additional controller buttons seems like unnecessary extra work.
At first glance, it seems the chords are like glued together to perfection.

So, yeah, I'd find it useful to have a programmer on it or similar. Would be fun to play around even on a drum pad for example, where each button would play a specific combination of chords.

It could be that these things are already possible, though and if so, I apologize in advance.

Also, I very much am interested in midi note generators, so I see potential uses for future and maybe even these players. In fact, one use for the Note Echo already struck my mind. Probably useful for a drum flam, rolls, etc. Though, that's still not a melodic element.

motuscott

22 Mar 2018

Songwriting is so yesterday's taters.
A well equipped laptop and a dancing hamster will get you there...
Amirite gurls?
Currently vacationing in Barbados on my songwriting royalties
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

RobC

22 Mar 2018

A cat walking over a keyboard works, too. xD

O1B

22 Mar 2018

Scales/Chords
Cons:
ONLY 13 MODES, but, Phrygian and the Pentas are there.
You can't have different Modes per note -type Parameter Locking.

Pros:
Custom Chord MODE. (So, be creative, or add one of your own)
On the fly inversions is immensely powerful.
Adding Open Chords, and "Color" is unusual and very useful.

Note Echo:
I have many a delay modules, but I have NOTHING like note echo - HW or SW
NO loss of signal strength is KEY to it's awesomeness.

Dual ARP... unheard of. with such intricacy...
maybe, in eurorack.... but even then... 16 steps by 4 lanes AND Velocity per step... ?
the minibrute 2s... ALMOST... but, not TWO! Full Arps.
.... the 2s can play duo phonically .

if you're after a proper hardware Chord/Scale/ARP/STEP SEQ, check out Kordbot:
40 MODES at your fingertips... 3-4 inversions, lighted keys show selected Chord,
8 slots to save specific chord choices, custom chord mode,
step sequencer, ARP, and full MIDI

He's a little backlogged, but it was worth the wait for me.
RobC wrote:
22 Mar 2018
... I expected something like being able to program on the device what notes get played when you play a specific key. For example, if I press the A key, then why not play A, B, and C notes. It's not a sin to play notes that are next to each-other. ...

So, yeah, I'd find it useful to have a programmer on it or similar. Would be fun to play around even on a drum pad for example, where each button would play a specific combination of chords.
Also, I very much am interested in midi note generators, so I see potential uses for future and maybe even these players. In fact, one use for the Note Echo already struck my mind. Probably useful for a drum flam, rolls, etc. Though, that's still not a melodic element.

BRIGGS

22 Mar 2018

emilng wrote:
22 Mar 2018
The players are great for making generative music. If you throw them in a combinator you can use CV automation for turning players on and off and changing the scale range and note repeats on the fly. Scales and chords is great for pads or for routing to the arpeggiator.

edit: they're also useful for getting generative note data out into the sequencer
SOOO COOL!!! :o
r11s

Oquasec

23 Mar 2018

I had a copy of Reason since 2010-11 ish so I usually just gravitate towards the sound modules almost exclusively.
Wondering if I should give the matrix a rest.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

BRIGGS

23 Mar 2018

Oquasec wrote:
23 Mar 2018
I had a copy of Reason since 2010-11 ish so I usually just gravitate towards the sound modules almost exclusively.
Wondering if I should give the matrix a rest.
I find, when I export notes from the matrix, things don't turn out as planned most times. Midi clips and players opened up a new world to me. Still working on reincorporating the matrix somehow.
r11s

Oquasec

23 Mar 2018

Reason 5 had like...4 or 5 seqs in it before players came out.
One was thor.
One was matrix, one was redrum and one was rpg-8.
Anything else is bells and whistles lol
Producer/Programmer.

stxlm

23 Mar 2018

O1B wrote:
22 Mar 2018
Scales/Chords
/.../
Custom Chord MODE.
How do you mean? Do you mean the custom scale maybe?

Raveshaper

23 Mar 2018

True story: I have used players exactly zero times since upgrading.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Oquasec

23 Mar 2018

One of these days I actually need to start using the extra shit I upgraded for fr lol.
Europa, Grain, the players, the EMI modules, the echo etc that's alittle too much to not be using.
Producer/Programmer.

RobC

23 Mar 2018

It's kind of ironic, that usually what I want, already exists in hardware, but not software. xD

Not everything is useful for everyone in Reason, but everyone will find something useful and what they need.

Like, I'll just use grain for some scratch-like effects, mostly.
...and Humana to crack me up, when some solo vocals start out in a munching-like sound. x"D

pushedbutton

23 Mar 2018

I'm not totally disagreeing with the OP but I'd like to suggest that you might be able to build more flexible tools out of them when you throw them into a combinator and get down and dirty with some more advanced routing.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

RobC

23 Mar 2018

'Might' is the keyword. I like that they create midi generator devices, though. But again, I'd like some basic tools, so I could build what I want myself. Reason and Reaktor should team up (not just as a VST).

motuscott

23 Mar 2018

I like pie and ain't nobody gonna change my mind.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

RobC

23 Mar 2018

I prefer sponge cake. Baked by myself.

BRIGGS

23 Mar 2018

No....fudge brownies!!! :puf_bigsmile:
r11s

RobC

23 Mar 2018

That's technically like sponge cake without the foaminess and added butter. Now, I can't say that it's like dynamic vs. loudness war music, cause cakes are usually yummy, one way or the other. :)

O1B

23 Mar 2018

Yes. Scales... Chords or Kordbot.
Mind you... I've never USED them in a piece, (just RnD moments).
I like the liveliness of outboard gear for ARP/SEQ'ing, Delaying, and Modal manipulation.
But, Players makes me aware of what other ground there is to (possibly) cover.

And, like I said, not many devices allow for repeats with NO loss of power.
Besides your typical looper... can anyone name one besides NOTE ECHO?
stxlm wrote:
23 Mar 2018

How do you mean? Do you mean the custom scale maybe?

• Information