Feeling played by Reason's Players (W/ Pets and cake)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
w1pl0c

23 Mar 2018

Scales and Chords gets blown out by Autotheory by Pitchblende. You can adjust the accidentals, which is sexaaay! It could use a chords to track feature though. Maybe propellerhead could take notes on this?

The Arpeggiator Player is excellent.

Note echo... wut?

Also all of the players should have CV hookups on the backside.

EdGrip

23 Mar 2018

I wish Scales & Chords was just a bit more in-depth. The other two are sooooound

motuscott

23 Mar 2018

You may need to revisit the definition of the term baked goods, cos I am.
My name is motuscott and somebody paid for this
it weren't me
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? πŸ§‚

ravisoni

23 Mar 2018

The thing with any tool is at a certain point you need to define what you're using it for. When you start feeling that you're not really getting something out of it, it's probably time to move away from thinking about it as a creative unit and instead ask what purpose it can actually serve you.

I have a love and hate relationship with them. Love because my music invariably sounds WAY better than before, and I spend less time tinkering getting the right notes (I use scales and chords, with the chord option set to off so it only corrects my notes). Melody is not my thing at all, but if I can hit the right notes, and keep doing it for half an hour, I'll come up with a "motif" (as teddy would say) that sounds melodic, and can continue building from there -- scales and chords definitely allows me to do that very efficiently. My productivity has skyrocketed ever since I started using it.

That said, I don't use them as often as you'd expect because of workflow reasons (the hate part), and that's simply because when I record midi, I want the corrected note to be placed into the sequencer, and not what note I hit on the keyboard. And that I need to create a new player for each instrument that I drop into the rack (but I do understand why it's counter productive to have a global note correction for an entire project).

Edit: While I'm here, I'll also pitch in on notes and dual arp. They are both fantastic in their own right. The way I look at them, they are never going to feature prominently in a track (my track anyway), because they are more embellishments than anything else. To get that little transition once or twice in a song. To get that fancy melodic percussive trill once or twice in a song. To do some gated, chaotic texture in the background during a chorus or such. When I think about them like so, and then pair it with fact that I have used Notes and Dual Arp very lightly across my Reason usage, the world seems all right, and then I'm not too upset at the players anymore.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

RobC

23 Mar 2018

For me, the best would be more flexible, even simple elements. That's why I lean towards Reaktor with Reason.
Reason has newer, rather creative devices, than flexible ones.

nickb523
RE Developer

23 Mar 2018

I use them when i'm not near a keyboard... :)

miscend

23 Mar 2018

EpiGenetik wrote: ↑
22 Mar 2018
Hi,

What kind of features would you like to see added to them?

Cheers
Some kind of learn function to teach them new chords by playing them in with a keyboard. Like you can do with Logic.

RobC

24 Mar 2018

Since a computer keyboard has low "polyphony" the use in that case makes sense, too.

The teaching function is sort of what I meant with the programmer feature.

Catblack

24 Mar 2018

RobC wrote: ↑
22 Mar 2018
A cat walking over a keyboard works, too. xD
My whole oeuvre!
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

motuscott

24 Mar 2018

Pie, with squishy fruit stuff inside.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? πŸ§‚

strangers
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2018

motuscott wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2018
Pie, with squishy fruit stuff inside.
I know just the treat you're talking about...

RobC

24 Mar 2018

Added pets and cake to the title. xD

Too much good food makes you tired, not good for work in your studio.
Bad food, such as bleh >_< apple pie on the other hand can really "make" your day.

A pet on your lap can keep you in place and focused on your work. Especially with a cat. You're prohibited to move then.

EpiGenetik

06 Apr 2018

w1pl0c wrote: ↑
23 Mar 2018
Scales and Chords gets blown out by Autotheory by Pitchblende.
If you don't mind me asking, can you elaborate on this a bit?

Electric-Metal

06 Apr 2018

06 Apr 2018

If you don't mind me asking, can you elaborate on this a bit?
Autotheory allows you to, lets say, play major chords even when a minor scale is selected. Also sus-chords can easily be played by just a additional key press.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

MusicianX

06 Apr 2018

23 Mar 2018
Scales and Chords gets blown out by Autotheory by Pitchblende. You can adjust the accidentals, which is sexaaay! It could use a chords to track feature though. Maybe propellerhead could take notes on this?

Note echo... wut?

I emailed pitchblende a couple days ago about a possible update. I mentioned the notes to track feature like you can do with scales and chords but they said they have no plans to update, which sucks because I feel like autotheory would be this best option with this feature added.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

06 Apr 2018

MusicianX wrote: ↑
06 Apr 2018

I emailed pitchblende a couple days ago about a possible update. I mentioned the notes to track feature like you can do with scales and chords but they said they have no plans to update, which sucks because I feel like autotheory would be this best option with this feature added.
But there are couple away around getting the notes to track, maybe that is another reason not to update it..

MusicianX

06 Apr 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote: ↑
06 Apr 2018
06 Apr 2018

But there are couple away around getting the notes to track, maybe that is another reason not to update it..
I only know of one which involves me going into my audio midi settings on Mac. Other than that what other way is there?

EpiGenetik

06 Apr 2018

06 Apr 2018
23 Mar 2018

Note echo... wut?

AutoTheory is an instrument though, not a Player. An update to include this feature is not possible at present.

EpiGenetik

06 Apr 2018

06 Apr 2018
06 Apr 2018

I only know of one which involves me going into my audio midi settings on Mac. Other than that what other way is there?
You can also do it pretty easily if you have Maschine available. Any VST with an onboard sequencer should do the trick really. 😊

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2018

06 Apr 2018
06 Apr 2018

You can also do it pretty easily if you have Maschine available. Any VST with an onboard sequencer should do the trick really. 😊
The EMI and midi loopback is one way (which sounds like you already know about) and the other is using the players..

This vid of mine shows both ways, the interesting stuff you are after is at 1:45

PoohBear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

MusicianX

07 Apr 2018

07 Apr 2018
06 Apr 2018

The EMI and midi loopback is one way (which sounds like you already know about) and the other is using the players..

This vid of mine shows both ways, the interesting stuff you are after is at 1:45

Could this same method in your video work with scales and chords and autotheory? Your method looks exactly like what I want to do I just can't set it up between the instruments I want to use.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2018

07 Apr 2018

Could this same method in your video work with scales and chords and autotheory? Your method looks exactly like what I want to do I just can't set it up between the instruments I want to use.
The method works with anything that has a note and gate out.

I'm slightly confused that you are using Scales & Chords and Autotheory together, what are you trying to achieve? (however it should work as you can place a player above Autotheory then take the note and gates out)

MusicianX

07 Apr 2018

07 Apr 2018
07 Apr 2018

The method works with anything that has a note and gate out.

I'm slightly confused that you are using Scales & Chords and Autotheory together, what are you trying to achieve? (however it should work as you can place a player above Autotheory then take the note and gates out)
No worries I figured it out. I wasn't trying to use the two together I only wanted to get the notes from autotheory to the sequencer without the other tedious workaround. I found one of your other videos which was a bit easier to follow without all of the cables that can be in the way. Thanks for your help Poohbear.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2018

07 Apr 2018

No worries I figured it out. I wasn't trying to use the two together I only wanted to get the notes from autotheory to the sequencer without the other tedious workaround. I found one of your other videos which was a bit easier to follow without all of the cables that can be in the way. Thanks for your help Poohbear.
Glad you are all sorted and you are more than welcome...

PoohBear

123repeater

08 Apr 2018

If you don't find that scales/chords gives you a ton of new ways of looking at things you should really consider learning some basic music theory like:

1. What makes a major scale (series of Whole steps and Half steps Ex: W-W-H-W-W-W-H)
2. Then mess around with those combinations and find what your heart desires.
3. Look into the symetrical scales.

My favorite player is the DUAL ARP for adding motion to parts that need some spice. Mix it with Synchronus and its a no brainer that I could never have accomplished with combinators and previous versions. These players help so much with sound design and textures.

• Information