10 pieces of music-making software that changed the world (Computer Music)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Loque

20 Mar 2018

Where is ProTracker?
Reason12, Win10

avasopht
Competition Winner

20 Mar 2018

No Mario Paint?

jlgrimes

20 Mar 2018

Reason was one of the first programs for me that really made great use of the advancement of CPU power to create a great pre production studio. With Reason, I really did start using my hardware less and less.

It now does waaay more than originally intended and is a full fledged DAW.

jlgrimes

20 Mar 2018

jlgrimes wrote:
20 Mar 2018
Reason was one of the first programs for me that really made great use of the advancement of CPU power to create a great pre production studio. With Reason, I really did start using my hardware less and less.

There were more powerful solutions at the time but Reason had a very intuitive workflow and was extremely stable. When I played the patches in 2.5, I was like damn, this actually is a virtual hardware platform!

It now does waaay more than originally intended and is a full fledged DAW.

miscend

20 Mar 2018

Octamed and Buzz

ckoehler

20 Mar 2018

My fav music software over the years: ProTracker, Cubase SX, Rebirth and Reason
:reason: Reason 10 @ Windows 10

ltbrunt00

22 Mar 2018

Reason in the grand old year of 2000. I remember the day someone gave me a disk with reason on it. That person said person said after using this you will get rid of your Korg Triton and various drum machines.....I laughed.....I laughed hard.........................They were right.

I remember Ableton Live. I was like Oh, I thought this was going to be more like Reason. Took some years before I found it to be useful.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

joeyluck

22 Mar 2018

ltbrunt00 wrote:
22 Mar 2018
Reason in the grand old year of 2000. I remember the day someone gave me a disk with reason on it. That person said person said after using this you will get rid of your Korg Triton and various drum machines.....I laughed.....I laughed hard.........................They were right.

I remember Ableton Live. I was like Oh, I thought this was going to be more like Reason. Took some years before I found it to be useful.
I discovered Reason when it was pre-installed on a PowerMac G4 Cube that I purchased used. I feel like I would've discovered Reason and made my way towards using it regardless...but you never know! I think I was trying a few other DAWs at the time like Digital Performer, but Reason clicked immediately. I then used Reason alongside Audacity, importing my audio recordings into NN19. Somehow even with that workaround for audio, Reason was still more inviting to use.

ltbrunt00

06 May 2018

joeyluck wrote:
22 Mar 2018
ltbrunt00 wrote:
22 Mar 2018

I discovered Reason when it was pre-installed on a PowerMac G4 Cube that I purchased used. I feel like I would've discovered Reason and made my way towards using it regardless...but you never know! I think I was trying a few other DAWs at the time like Digital Performer, but Reason clicked immediately. I then used Reason alongside Audacity, importing my audio recordings into NN19. Somehow even with that workaround for audio, Reason was still more inviting to use.
After Reason released R9.5 with VST (Mic Drop)it pretty much made my other DAWs obsolete for what I do. I do still use Studio One for Notion. Five years from now I hope to be able to do everything in Reason.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

rgdaniel

06 May 2018

Nice to see Opcode Studio Vision get some love... gawd I miss that program...

NekujaK

06 May 2018

My first synth/sequencer was the AlphaSyntauri for the Apple II, sometime around 1982.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/alphasyntauri.php

It was pretty revolutionary at the time, and even Herbie Hancock was on board to promote it.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

C//AZM

15 May 2018

rgdaniel wrote:
06 May 2018
Nice to see Opcode Studio Vision get some love... gawd I miss that program...
Me too! But sssshhh you're showing your/our age. lol.

There are still things that Vision can do which the others can't and the entire Opcode universe, Vision, Vision VST, Galaxy, Studio64, OMS, geesh I loved that world. I'm glad to see the Gibson CEO get trounced for the very reason that he bought and killed off Opcode leaving most Midi and DAW people without viable alternatives...

ETA---No MOTU and their flagship "Performer"? I wasn't a fan but DP was all over the place I major studios.

Ditto for Digidesign Sound Tools which was a big part of my editing life.

No ACID?

adfielding

16 May 2018

ltbrunt00 wrote:
06 May 2018
After Reason released R9.5 with VST (Mic Drop)it pretty much made my other DAWs obsolete for what I do. I do still use Studio One for Notion. Five years from now I hope to be able to do everything in Reason.
That's still the dream here - once there's support for individual MIDI channels-per-sequencer lane and they optimise VST performance (particularly Kontakt's load times, whew!), I'll have pretty much zero reason to use anything else. Except for multi-track time correction, but... I use that so infrequently that I'm ok with it :)

selig
RE Developer

16 May 2018

rgdaniel wrote:Nice to see Opcode Studio Vision get some love... gawd I miss that program...
Word.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information