Frustration with Recycle and Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
raccoonboy

19 Mar 2018

Hi everyone.

I'm having some frustrations with the REX format and I'm looking for some advice.

Recycle is so great for chopping up files, but the implementation of using them in Reason is almost useless for me, unless I'm missing something.

What I'm trying to achieve: My friend has sent me a SOLO'd track of just kicks. I want to chop up all of these kicks at the start of their transient and then trigger an event in Reason. Essentially I'll be using the triggers to start external kick drums, this can make my hardware kicks perfectly in time (I use audio to CV). I know I could use an envelope follower, but I really don't want to, messing around with thresholds and whatnot, it sends off a lot of accidental triggers, whereas if I can just choose the transients in the file first, this should work perfect.

The problem is. If I import my Rex file into Dr. Octo then this doesn't work as it doesn't seem to accept files this long, so it just loops after about 30 bars (the file is 100 bars).

If I drag the rex file straight into the Reason timeline, then the whole file is just together with no slice info, like an audio file. There seems to be nothing unique about putting a rex file on the timeline, if I double click it, the slice marks are just where reason detects them and because there is no sensitivity slider, they are never in the correct place and I'm not going to go through and delete hundreds of markers. Why can't Reason find the slice info? I'm sure other DAW's do and Recycle belongs to Props!

So I tried the third and final option I can think of and export the REX file from Recycle to MIDI. This way I can import the midi and use THAT as the trigger. Nope.. It says you can only have a maximum of 92 slices and I have 300.. Why did they put this arbitrary limit on Recycle?

Dammit!

I feel like I'm hitting my head off a wall. It doesn't help that there is next to no info on Recycle online.

If I go to the Browser in Reason and 'expand' the Rex2 file, I can see the individual slices. If I could add this all onto ONE track, this might work, but when I drag them over it puts them all onto separate tracks..

Seems like my plan is thwarted every way I try.

All I want is my slices to be visible in Reason in one way or another for a 4 minute file.

Any suggestions? Hopefully that makes sense.

raccoonboy

19 Mar 2018

Okay. Looks like if I make a new track and drag the individual rex files there rather than just dragging onto the timeline, they all go over onto one track. Although they seem to be not in the right order. But progress has been made.... I'll figure this out!

raccoonboy

19 Mar 2018

Yup. dragging them on seperate, they are all in a weird order and different lengths from the original. what the hell?

edit: I have a feeling the individual slices are not supposed to be used. It seems they maybe add the artificial silence even if not requested which screws the timing up. I've tried exporting a short midi file and it's perfectly in time... *sigh*

QVprod

19 Mar 2018

Rex loops were mean to be just that. Loops. Why not just work with the kicks as audio instead of using Recycle? I don't see where rex would give an advantage here. If you're using Audio to CV the effect should be the same. In fact you can put a gate (and/or low pass filter) before Audio to CV and unless bleed into the kick recording is really that bad, setting a threshold on the gate should be easy and work better than just using an envelope follower. Also takes a lot less time then editing 4 minutes of transients.

Loque

20 Mar 2018

I am not working that much with rex and stuff, bout you can try to just drag the rex loop into a empty sampler and you should have all slices on the keyboard.
Reason12, Win10

• Information