Reason's solution to dying MIDI keyboards

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
RobC

19 Mar 2018

Two of my keyboards had issues. The common one was mute keys. I prepared for months to repair it, but I was missing graphite spray for the... thingies that touch each other when you press a key - only to find out that the technology was dated, and thank god, both keyboards used a modern one, so all I needed to do was cleaning out dust and micro sized - probably spiders or similar - that went under there. Keys worked again finally. The bigger one had some rust in it, too - that's why you don't drink cola near your personal-studio equipment. Though that one was strawberry tea, actually. My 3rd keyboard, on the same day I bought it, I spilled a full glass of cola close to it (Yes, I had to put it upside down, so it drips out). Ever slapped your own face with full strength out of anger? Yeah.. xD

Not everything can be fixed at home, though, but gladly, Reason is a DAW that gives us possibilities:

My first keyboard has dying Mod Wheel and Pitch Wheel. (Actually, the pitch wheel was off when I bought it; but later I also realized, that free software and key-code to VST was missing from the box. I was screwed over. I remember e-mailing them, but only after the second e-mail, and right after the 8th day, when they don't accept a return, did they reply. Never shopped again at those mother... oh right, forum rules.)
So the Pitch Wheel always jumps to one position and the Mod Wheel is pretty random with values. I tried adjusting the keyboard from the inside, tried to unplug thingies that were connected to the main board, but that created a constant movement MIDI message.
Finally, I just replugged everything and clearly the Pitch Wheel still looks like it has Parkinson's disease inside Reason.

The solution:

Locking the MIDI Keyboard to a Combinator, and disabling Pitch Bending and Mod Wheel messages to any device you put inside. Better than throwing it away!

Any other ideas?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2018

What surface control are you using in Reason, we could probably change the codec file to ignore the pitch and mod wheel (CC 01).

RobC

20 Mar 2018

Where can I find the codec files? I wish we could create a generic MIDI mapping for any controller...
It's a basic 4 octave Miditech Midistart Music, by the way. Don't wanna throw it out cause the keys are still good.

Also, thank you for helping!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

20 Mar 2018

Windows: C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Remote\
OSX: //Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Remote/

So I take it when you add your controller to Reason you set it up as "<Other>"?

RobC

20 Mar 2018

Yes, but that's not the only case;

maybe I could code setups for my own tastes, too. I know I don't use the stock setup for Akai LPD8. ...and the Korg nano kontrol is capable of more than as set up, too. Plus in the future, like I say I want to build my own controller.
Now, for the Korg Nano Kontrol, a 0 to 1000 setup would be very useful, as by default it goes 0-127.

• Information