Two Basic Redrum Question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pgillis

19 Mar 2018

ok, say I have spent time going through drum sounds . .and I have placed 10 of my most used drum sounds on each Redrum channel. I would like to save this "kit" so I could recall the samples without spending the time searching and assigning every time I want to use Redrum. I "though"t using the section in the lower left where it shows kits, clicking the save there would do it . .i clicked the "Save" icon, named it and thought all was well. So to test, i quit Reason, started a new song and pulled over a Redrum . .then I searched for this kit I saved . .sometimes I had a hard time finding yhe kit but when I did find it and select it, none of the samples where associated to the channesl. I've tried this a few times and feel my IQ declining each time :-(

Can someone explain on how to save your custom channel assignment "kit" . .as well as the best location if any to save this?

And finally, say in ReDrum I create a few of the 8 patterns . . can you save those patterns outside of taking them tracks in the sequencer?

Thanks as usual.

EnochLight

19 Mar 2018

pgillis wrote:
19 Mar 2018
ok, say I have spent time going through drum sounds . .and I have placed 10 of my most used drum sounds on each Redrum channel. I would like to save this "kit" so I could recall the samples without spending the time searching and assigning every time I want to use Redrum. I "though"t using the section in the lower left where it shows kits, clicking the save there would do it . .i clicked the "Save" icon, named it and thought all was well. So to test, i quit Reason, started a new song and pulled over a Redrum . .then I searched for this kit I saved . .sometimes I had a hard time finding yhe kit but when I did find it and select it, none of the samples where associated to the channesl. I've tried this a few times and feel my IQ declining each time :-(

Can someone explain on how to save your custom channel assignment "kit" . .as well as the best location if any to save this?

And finally, say in ReDrum I create a few of the 8 patterns . . can you save those patterns outside of taking them tracks in the sequencer?

Thanks as usual.
I'm assuming you haven't sampled your own stuff and are just referencing samples in Reason's factory soundbank. If so, just safe the Redrum patch and you can open it in any project, or even share it.

If you've sampled your own content, you need to save your samples first. To do this, go to File => Song Self Contain Settings and uncheck all of the samples. You'll then need to save them somewhere, but it will prompt you to crop the samples first:

samples.JPG
samples.JPG (39.25 KiB) Viewed 627 times

So keep them in a folder that's easy to find, for instance - I saved them here in this example:

samples_2.JPG
samples_2.JPG (30.47 KiB) Viewed 627 times

And finally, you'll need to save the actual patch for Redrum. In this example, I saved it in the same folder where I had the samples, but you can save it anywhere that's easy for you find (like in your Favorites, etc):

samples_3.JPG
samples_3.JPG (31.57 KiB) Viewed 627 times

Alternatively, you can self-contain all of the samples in the song and just save the song file, and the Redrum will obviously be there with your favorite samples loaded. But then you can't open it in other projects until you save the patch.

Make sense?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

pgillis

19 Mar 2018

correct . . i intend to but right now was just loading from sounds that came with Reason.

By "And finally, you'll need to save the actual patch" . .that is the lower left section correct?

It did work when I saved the song . .but like you say, I want to use in other projects. I will try again. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I also found come good videos on ReasonExperts and YouTube so hopefully my IQ wont stay in the single digits long.

• Information