Newbie, Best Practices Question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pgillis

18 Mar 2018

Hello,
New to Reason and was curious about the best practices for backing up songs you do with Reason. I am on the OSX platform and know could Time Machine the whole drive, but I was curious about specific backup areas as well as best practices for file/sound/song storage.
Thank you in advance . .lots to learn.
phil

Kalm

18 Mar 2018

I usually use Time Machine for backup. Never went wrong for me. As far as organization, I save all patches in a folder organized bu the fx/instrument and all songs saved in a session folder since I might use other DAW's or link to external sources (like video and MIDI)
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

pgillis

19 Mar 2018

Thank you

MannequinRaces

19 Mar 2018

Time Machine here too. It's saved my butt several times and is super easy to restore things if you have a HD crash.

pgillis

19 Mar 2018

thank you

motuscott

19 Mar 2018

My way (or the highway)
Songs are named by starting date YYYY.MM.DD
At the end of a work session on that song, I name sequentially and back up to a folder in the Music Projects section of my comp. YYYY.MM.DD.2 I don’t back up during the session because Reason is so darn stable.
Backing up your computer is a whole nother thread.
YMMV
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

PeterP

19 Mar 2018

I back up to Google Drive after each session. I've had hard drives fail spectacularly several times so I don't trust local backups at all.
Last edited by PeterP on 20 Mar 2018, edited 1 time in total.

pgillis

19 Mar 2018

thanks for the idea

selig
RE Developer

19 Mar 2018

It’s always best to not trust any single medium. I don’t trust the cloud any more than local drives, even though the cloud is probably the safer of the two.

I was taught that data doesn’t truly exist until it’s in three places. And when possible, at least two of those should be based on different technology.

Just by coincidence I’m copying everything to a second drive today! Important files will be on the primary drive, the secondary drive, Time Machine, and the cloud. ALL files are on the three local drives.

I’ve only lost things once, and that was enough. Almost lost a bunch of files a second time, but after going to three different recovery experts was able to get all files back. The second time was at a studio where I was not in charge of the backups, and there was a minor slip up and things didn’t get backed up - of course, that was the day the main drive failed!

Yea, it’s a pain to backup and archive your files, but it only takes one or two failures to convince you if you’re not already convinced (unless you’re a masochist).

Backup early, and often!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2018

If my hard drive fails, that is natures way of telling me to start over.

I don't believe in backups.

pgillis

19 Mar 2018

i've never had a crash until I didnt have backups :-) I am still curious though about the files . but I assume most are pointers to audio files and the song files being pointers and midi data but I am new to this. .

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2018

The three rules to backup

1. Backup

2. Backup

3. Backup

4. test the bloody backup..

Now I said three rules but gave you four, that's because most people ignore that all important four rule...

PoohBear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

hurricane
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2018

I also google drive it. As soon as I save a project it auto-uploads.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

motuscott

20 Mar 2018

aeox wrote:
19 Mar 2018
I concur.
If Jeebus wanted you to be able to recall stuff, he'd have given you a brain.

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Mar 2018

motuscott wrote:
20 Mar 2018
aeox wrote:
19 Mar 2018
I concur.
I think he did, albeit a pea-sized one.

motuscott

24 Mar 2018

aeox wrote:
20 Mar 2018
motuscott wrote:
20 Mar 2018

I concur.
I think he did, albeit a pea-sized one.
Wait...

wait

• Information