Older "Legacy" Reason factory presets?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ezmar

15 Mar 2018

Hey all, first post here, so apologies if it's misplaced or anything like that. I've got a pretty simple question, but I'll do my best to make it clear anyway.

I recently purchased my license for Reason 10, as I greatly enjoyed using the trial version more than the other programs I'd tried. Anyway, one of my major inspirations has been game composer Takeshi Abo, who has been a Reason user for many years. A lot of his stuff that I'm familiar with was created with Reason 4, and his website has a demo rps file that apparently uses the factory presets, some of which I recognize from his other works. However, Reason 10 no longer has these presets, obviously, and while there's nothing wrong with the presets I have now, there's something about those older sounds that I'd love to be able to look into and use as I hone my production skills. I'm a little old-school, so a lot of the super modern sounds aren't what I'm looking for, and my synthesizer skills aren't always up to the task of sculpting what I want from scratch.

So the question is: Is there any way I can get my hands on the factory presets of older versions of Reason? Obviously I can look into the vast wealth of free ReFills for more sounds, but you know how it can get with too much choice sometimes. If there isn't a way to get them, that's fine, I just thought I'd ask about it.

I'll definitely be checking out some of the community stuff as well, and I'm really excited to be digging into this realm of music that I've left untouched for so long.

Thanks in advance!

esselfortium

15 Mar 2018

I'm pretty sure they should still be in the Factory Sound Bank somewhere... I haven't noticed any samples disappearing, at least (the original NN19 patches from Reason 1.0 are still in there, for instance!), and synth and effect patches should be stored in the song file itself without relying on external files for them. Can you link to the song file in question?
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Ezmar

15 Mar 2018

The song file in question is locked, so the best I can do is painstakingly copy every parameter of the synth patches, which isn't the worst solution, since it's at least educational. As for the presence of the particular patches, I'm not sure if they're actually presets or not, since I've only had reason for a few weeks, and the only reason I think they're factory presets is from the source, which in my case has to be translated from Japanese. The file can be downloaded at http://valsound.fc2web.com/reason/sound.html. Only the first file will work, all the other links were dead (and over a decade old). The sounds also might come from depreciated ReFills, I really don't know too much.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help, but I understand this might be kind of a strange question. I'm more interested in the Synth patches than samples, since I prefer to use synthesis to shape sounds rather than playing around with samples, at least at this point. It's also possible that I'm missing some location in my install to find more sounds, but I'm not sure that's the case. Either way, I'll be continuing to work on my skills. It's a little frustrating coming from several decades of live performance experience, and then entering this similar but totally different realm at square one, but I just need to put in more time.

WongoTheSane

15 Mar 2018

Apart from the RV7000 patches and the mastering patch, all the others ones seem to be custom-made by the composer. I don't recognize any of those patch names, and as esselfortium pointed out, no patch has ever been taken out of the Factory Presets. I tried translating the original text though Google, and I think that "Preset" is a bad translation for "Default patch", which would mean he didn't use any preset at all, but created all of his sounds from scratch. In which case, I'm afraid you're out of luck. You might consider sending an email to the guy? So many years have passed, he might be amenable to the idea of sending you the ".rns" file, instead of the ".rps" one...

Ezmar

15 Mar 2018

I figured that might be the case. I might consider sending an E-mail, but I think I'll be poking around a bit. I wish I had decades of sound engineering experience, or even a mind for it, but I guess I just need to tweak more. Maybe I get too picky, but I always get either totally lost, or completely boxed in when I try to create custom synth sounds.

Here's hoping, I guess.

Catblack

15 Mar 2018

Check here for another one of his tracks.

http://web.archive.org/web/200801121015 ... ername=VAL
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

• Information