White Noise Help!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

09 Mar 2018

Hi All!

I'm applying a white noise woosh (or sweep upwards) on a track over 8 bars using Subtractor.

I have 3 issues here:-

1) As the frequency is being raised (automated) the white noise gets louder. How can I keep the noise at the same constant level as it sweeps? I want to get the white noise to the level I want (so it sits well in the mix) and keep it there throughout the sweep. I'm thinking the M-Class Maximizer?

2) Any tips on getting the white noise to sound smoother and more professional? I've added an RV7000 and it's helped a little but as the filter opens the white noise still begins to get coarser. I want a nice smooth sounding sweep.

3) At the end of the 8 bars I want the white noise to echo out in quarter notes. I've done this using the DDL and it worked but then thought, wouldn't mind it being ping ponged from left to right (this feature should be added to the DDL but is that an issue with it being mono?). Anyway, so I switched to The Echo and although The Echo worked, I'm now having trouble with the delay not being audible in the mix as it delays out as the volume decreases on each quarter note.

Any tips here?
Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Marco Raaphorst

09 Mar 2018

Why not use Thor?

normen

09 Mar 2018

1) You will have to employ an EQ curve that looks at least similar to the "Fletcher Munson Curves"
2) Idk exactly what you mean, sounds funny, a white noise is a white noise, it should have no different "character" at different frequencies. Hard to say what exactly would make it sound "smoother" to your ears :)
3) With deliberate delays I've come to just make a bit of audio and chopping it up instead of using a delay device. Been in too many situations with clients where I finally found the delay device that did what they wanted only to have them want it changed to something that device can't do a day later.

selig
RE Developer

09 Mar 2018

1) as you open the filter you are adding more energy (more frequencies), thus it naturally gets louder. This is one way to create excitement by using a noise sweep. However, if you don't want that effect, you can either lower the sustain of the amp envelope and use the decay time slider to reduce level as the filter opens, or automate the volume at any number of points. Assuming Thor (see #2 below), use Filter Drive, Amp Gain, or Master Volume)
2) Use Thor, it has a more realistic white noise generator IMO. Remember, all digital white noise is synthesized and not typically true random noise.
3) what Normen said above!
Selig Audio, LLC

Exowildebeest

09 Mar 2018

selig wrote:
09 Mar 2018

2) Use Thor, it has a more realistic white noise generator IMO. Remember, all digital white noise is synthesized and not typically true random noise.
Thor's noise osc is awesome, it's so versatile. You can create really interesting noise by mixing and matching noise types, e.g. adding some light crackle to pink noise.

VHS

09 Mar 2018

How I do Noise sweeps:
1) pick a noise source (thor noise module, serum noise section, subtractor, etc.)
2) High pass that shit (I do around 1k, but play with it) maybe low-pass the very top off it, up to you.
3) bounce audio (as long a clip as you want). do not modulate anything.
4) load high passed noise sample into nn19 or xt.
5) use the pitch wheel to sweep noise (pitch from low to high for a upward sweep, etc.)

might take care of your first and second problems.

so, your third problem remains. I would put an OTT on it, modulate the depth to increase when the delay occurs. It will bring the delays WAY up in the mix.

Creativemind

12 Mar 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
09 Mar 2018
Why not use Thor?
Did actually try but although the white noise sounded smoother, the Low Pass Ladder filtter didn't seem to sweep it up how I wanted. Tried the State Variable and didn't like that either.

Creativemind

12 Mar 2018

normen wrote:
09 Mar 2018
3) With deliberate delays I've come to just make a bit of audio and chopping it up instead of using a delay device. Been in too many situations with clients where I finally found the delay device that did what they wanted only to have them want it changed to something that device can't do a day later.
How d'ya mean chop it up? Take what you want out and stick it on another track, then delay it? Or are you talking about just repeat (copy and paste) the part?

normen

12 Mar 2018

Creativemind wrote:
12 Mar 2018
normen wrote:
09 Mar 2018
How d'ya mean chop it up? Take what you want out and stick it on another track, then delay it? Or are you talking about just repeat (copy and paste) the part?
Copy & paste, yeah.

selig
RE Developer

12 Mar 2018

Creativemind wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
09 Mar 2018
Why not use Thor?
Did actually try but although the white noise sounded smoother, the Low Pass Ladder filtter didn't seem to sweep it up how I wanted. Tried the State Variable and didn't like that either.

The default filter in Subtractor is 12 dB/oct - did you try the Ladder on the 12 dB/Oct setting?

Also worth trying: add some drive to dirty things up a bit (lower the master Volume to compensate). Don’t forget to explore adding a little resonance to enhance the sweep frequency. Finally, turn off the filter and try others - there are MANY alternatives you can use in Reason if none of Thor’s filters appeal to you. There’s Malstrom, ECF-42, Pulveriser, Alligator, Kong, Synchronous - and I’m probably forgetting others!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

12 Mar 2018

or use 1000 subtractors for wild noise

Creativemind

12 Mar 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
12 Mar 2018
or use 1000 subtractors for wild noise
Haha!

Or Thors comb filter for white hair!

Oquasec

12 Mar 2018

Oh yeah the combinator is a deadly weapon
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

RobC

13 Mar 2018

The pain when people want to bury great grandpa Subtractor... :')

• Information