What Limiter are you using?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jmax

06 Mar 2018

Although I have the Kuassa, iZotope Re, and Ozone 8.

I still prefer to use the Onyx limiter (digital setting) for some reason. I like the controls and the look of it.

Are people really noticing a difference in sound using other limiters?

I really can't tell if I am hearing something different or just imagining that I am. Really your just making your output louder. The sweet spot wherever you like it. For me it's getting more quiet these days. I used to be a 'as loud as possible' without distortion. Until I realized that sounds like shit. Best keeping the dynamics.

BRIGGS

06 Mar 2018

FF Pro-L

I also use the built-in Reason limiter.
r11s

aeox
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2018

I wouldn't say you're just making it louder. It also can change transients because of different limiter settings such as lookahead/attack and release times. The different "Intelligent Release Control" modes in Ozone 8 all sound a little different to me. Some result in more punchy drums, etc.
Last edited by aeox on 07 Mar 2018, edited 1 time in total.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2018

I use the Ozone RE. It's the most transparent limiter as far as REs or stock stuff goes imo.

QVprod

06 Mar 2018

They definitely sound different. I mainly use the Kilohearts limiter. It's a pretty good freebie. Transparent enough for what I need to do with it. That said I rarely do final mixes in Reason.

NekujaK

07 Mar 2018

Stealth Limiter by IK Multimedia has become my go-to limiter. It can be pushed hard with no artifacts and it is amazing at preserving bass in the signal. Of course, it's a VST. If you're talking REs only, then Kratos was always my fav.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

dustmoses

08 Mar 2018

I use Kuassa, don't feel the need for anything else (as far as master limiter.)

O1B

08 Mar 2018

Izotope Ozone RE. IRC II, mostly. mostly.
ImageBeast. Most transparent. Definitely tightens.

Be warned: Sh*tty mixes will now be tighter, sh*tty mixes. Fix it in the mix.

makke

08 Mar 2018

If you want loudness, there is no better limiter than AOM Invisible Limiter in clip mode.

Use two limiters. First one to cut sharp peaks, like FF Pro-L with gain reduction 2-4db and then Invisible Limiter with clip mode. You get loud tracks (still requires good, balanced mix) 😀

United South

10 Mar 2018

FF Pro-L set at 8x up sampling.

EnochLight

10 Mar 2018

Ozone 8 Advanced (single module on a per-instrument or the suite on my output for mastering).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

esselfortium

10 Mar 2018

Lately I’ve been using the Kuassa limiter, with a subtle RE-2A compressor just before it.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

deepndark

10 Mar 2018

M-class and Ozone RE. I dunno the M-class works in lots of the times and does alot and treats my kicks to sum down my tracks.

ltbrunt00

12 Mar 2018

Kuassa limiter, I probably over use this device
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Marco Raaphorst

12 Mar 2018

anyone experience with this: https://klevgrand.se/products/grandfinale/ ?

syncanonymous

12 Mar 2018

I like my limiting in hardware
Sound Devices 702T for interviews...and events...can absolutely save recordings

if u r asking about a VST, I use Toneboosters Barricade 32 bit version; 95% of the time as a meter on the overall mix output...I have used it on single tracks, too...obviously Reason will only talk to 64bit VSTs. Toneboosters have a 64bit version...I haven’t tried it...I like the 80s look of the 32bit version. For metering, the “by design” peak and rms peak freeze are gospel for my mixing/ mastering stsndards for the film we produce. The reputation of Toneboosters is excellence catching inter sample peaks.
I also use the Klangfreund LUFS meter to measure “broadcast” compliance in my mixes for film.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

Oquasec

12 Mar 2018

Mclass & freeware/stock.
Last edited by Oquasec on 12 Mar 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

moneykube

12 Mar 2018

I have a few but try not to use any if possible... last 10 songs no limiter
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

United South

13 Mar 2018

Really liking Ozone 8 presets right now.

EdGrip

13 Mar 2018

64bit Barricade is good, and you can get away with using it for free if you just use it at the end in a mastering way - it doesn't let you save settings in demo mode (same with The Glue!).

I seem to remember, when I was doing my limiters reading, that people thought Barricade *wasn't* the best at catching ISPs.

O1B

13 Mar 2018

Subtle RE-2A... that's interesting...
Great on vocals, but that TUBE definitely Sweetens.
It's the most 'electrifying' of the Compressors in RE - besides Softube's TUBETECH, IMO.
for Selig, I mean not harsh (to my ears) dynamics/frequencies,
- but crackles, and hisses like a hot mic on stage.

and, thanks for the head's up. I just realized I gotta grab Kratos:

Rare to see such a variable KNEE, and, CVs on Attack, Release, and KNEE give good envelope control.
No STEREO Control - like Ozone, but 2 will do, if it sounds good.

I never realized there were so few controls on the Ozone - and no CV.
But, as a Master Bus Plug, the sound is Stellar.

Selig's LEVELER is probably one the greatest compressors there is - hardware included!
You can transparently 'lift' the energy to some 'consistent' level. It really sounds GOOD.
With the Leveler, there's no guesswork about maximizing the signal. It's awesome. Snare, Vocals: A GO TO.
(no way to make it stereo? I hate killing my stereo dynamics with these left-side reading Compressors.)
esselfortium wrote:
10 Mar 2018
Lately I’ve been using the Kuassa limiter, with a subtle RE-2A compressor just before it.

strangers
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2018

Either the Ozone RE or Ozone 8. There are times when I really like the vintage limiter (tube mode).

RobC

13 Mar 2018

Splitting up into frequency bands and soft clip any extreme peaks. - Barely needed though for my target dynamics.

I'm for quietness peace.

nickb523
RE Developer

13 Mar 2018

Most of the time i use the MClass Limiter with the limiter turned off and push the softclip to desired level. After that i follow up with and instance of Ozone (only a tiny bit).

I've been thinking about grabbing the Kuassa one for a while... i also need to check out Selig Leveller as that sounds like it might cover my usage.

• Information