How do reason people feel about using the modules reason 5 has?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Oquasec

08 Mar 2018

Interesting...
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2018

hurricane wrote:
08 Mar 2018
I wish there was a 'high quality' setting on the internal synths. I can't prove this, and I'm just using my ears to compare them to other synths, but I think Thor and the other stock synths have some sort of accuracy parameter set to the lowest possible cpu friendly quality setting. Somewhat like how Diva does it, except that we can chose the setting in:

Subtractor just does regular and raw digital synthesis.

It does not oversample, so you will get aliasing with FM and from the harmonics when your pitch is high.

Exowildebeest

09 Mar 2018

avasopht wrote:
09 Mar 2018
hurricane wrote:
08 Mar 2018
I wish there was a 'high quality' setting on the internal synths. I can't prove this, and I'm just using my ears to compare them to other synths, but I think Thor and the other stock synths have some sort of accuracy parameter set to the lowest possible cpu friendly quality setting. Somewhat like how Diva does it, except that we can chose the setting in:

Subtractor just does regular and raw digital synthesis.

It does not oversample, so you will get aliasing with FM and from the harmonics when your pitch is high.
Which is normal for VA's of that era :puf_smile: Part of the character of those days, some would argue.

It's not so much that Subtractor and Thor were made to be low-cpu, it's that they were made at a time when the average cpu was 10% the power of current cpu's. You didn't get industrial circuit modelling and oversampling to run on your Pentium 4. I remember the days when Thor's multi-osc visibly affected my DSP meter :puf_bigsmile:

hurricane
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2018

That’s fine, except that I think ALL their synths, including Grain and Europa are set to “draft” mode. I’d appreciate a “divine” mode.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2018

hurricane wrote:
09 Mar 2018
That’s fine, except that I think ALL their synths, including Grain and Europa are set to “draft” mode. I’d appreciate a “divine” mode.
There is no such thing in synthesis, unless you know of some new technique none of the other DSP devs know of, and especially one that would go undetected.

Oquasec

09 Mar 2018

hurricane wrote:
09 Mar 2018
User error. Reason's the same thing as reaktor, Max for live is the same thing as reaktor.
This is not an opinion it's absolute fact :cool: :lol:
Producer/Programmer.

Resonator

09 Mar 2018

ReDrum is still one of my go-to devices. Once in a while I'll drive Kong with ReDrum's sequencer. I haven't used Malstrom and Subtractor in a while. But they're still as useful and enjoyable as they were when they were the new thing. Coincidentally, I was thinking about using them again as well as Thor. The great thing about Thor is owning the iPad version and being able to make patches anywhere to use in Reason.

antic604

10 Mar 2018

My first track (work in progress) in Reason, using almost all native devices: Subtractor, Maelstorm, Thor, Europa, Grain, Redrum, Kong, Pulveriser, Scream, Synchronous, RV7k, The Echo, all MClass + few REs.

To my ears – and for this type of music – they still sound really good!

kinkujin

13 Mar 2018

The great thing about Thor is owning the iPad version and being able to make patches anywhere to use in Reason.
I just bought Thor on ipad and I'm in love with it's sound. Just great. The interface is wonderful - clean, useful and love the keyboard helps. Does it sound the same in Reason? I won't know until I upgrade, someday.

-kinkujin

esselfortium

13 Mar 2018

esselfortium wrote:
06 Mar 2018
Thor is still my go-to synth a lot of the time! It's great for very quickly getting simple and effective sounds.

I don't use Subtractor as much as I used to, but I was pretty obsessed with it well into the 2010s :puf_smile: You can get some really thick sounds out of it using the Ring Mod mode.
When I first posted this I was for some reason only thinking of synths. I'm still using RV7000 for nearly all of my reverb, Kong is still my main drum machine, I've got lots of NN-XT-based instruments (with or without combinators), and the MClass EQ, Scream4, etc. still get quite a bit of use.

I have an effects combinator I built around 2016 that's almost entirely made of old Reason 4-era devices, and that shows up all over the place in my music whenever I need some fuzzy analog-tape magic in there. (Actually, thinking about it I think the only newer device in there is a Pulverizer that's only being used for volume-to-CV following!)
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

RobC

13 Mar 2018

I'll probably go for Reactor VST for some things. But Reason will be my main man!

123repeater

16 Mar 2018

europa and grain are what i use now BIG TIME

avasopht
Competition Winner

16 Mar 2018

There was a period in the Record era where I'd challenge myself to compose in just Reason. What I realized was that the full package offered by Record was just an addition and that I could get by just fine as I had been in R4. I mean, I was getting by fine with Reason 4 ;)

Reasonable man

17 Mar 2018

esselfortium wrote:
13 Mar 2018
esselfortium wrote:
06 Mar 2018
Thor is still my go-to synth a lot of the time! It's great for very quickly getting simple and effective sounds.

I don't use Subtractor as much as I used to, but I was pretty obsessed with it well into the 2010s :puf_smile: You can get some really thick sounds out of it using the Ring Mod mode.
there is a Pulverizer that's only being used for volume-to-CV following!)
I would love to know how to do this and what applications the follower can be used in. I know it can be used to smooth out jerky cv pulses but other than that I can't seem to find you tube video on it being used as a volume ducking device which apparently it can be or how to hook it up to do that

Oquasec

17 Mar 2018

considering you can load kontakt libraries in reason since the nnxt came out it didn't make sense for record.
You could just crop everything at different parts and then sequence them, but people want the ability to bounce in place and lay audio files into the track lanes cuz it should be doin that lol
Producer/Programmer.

Ahornberg

17 Mar 2018

I love the old devices ... here's an example of SubTractor and half rack FX only

normen

17 Mar 2018

Having Reason and not using the built-in devices seems to go against what Reason is really. Who'd buy Reason solely as a DAW after just looking at it for 10 minutes? It's about the devices.

Somebody posted this in the Reasontalk chat the other day, captures perfectly what Reason is about imo (Reason 4 times). Loads of synth emulations, tube emulations, effects emulations and whatnot all done with Reason internal devices and nicely packed up. The demo songs are really nice too ;)

http://web.archive.org/web/200610160751 ... m_Shop.zip

Oquasec

17 Mar 2018

yeah, even reason 10 doesn't feel like a "traditional" daw it feels more like a moog system with hundreds of modules to use and build but just so happens to have a built in piano roll in it.
Producer/Programmer.

esselfortium

17 Mar 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
17 Mar 2018
esselfortium wrote:
13 Mar 2018

there is a Pulverizer that's only being used for volume-to-CV following!)
I would love to know how to do this and what applications the follower can be used in. I know it can be used to smooth out jerky cv pulses but other than that I can't seem to find you tube video on it being used as a volume ducking device which apparently it can be or how to hook it up to do that
If I remember right, the patch in question uses the Pulverizer volume-to-CV follower's output to ride the volume slider on a noise generator, such that noise is layered onto the signal when there's an audio input, but not during periods of silence.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Kalm

17 Mar 2018

I have a couple Maelstrom combo's ive made here and there that are go to's. Same with Thor. I have a ton of Subtractor patches I've created that usually gets beefed up over time when I just need an extra sound. Very rarely do I begin music with them. More often I'll use Thor than any of the three.

Kong and Dr. Octorex can't be replaced. Control functionality would make it better but everything is laid out on those devices very nice.

Only reason FX i use is the Stereo Imager. Everything else needs update and GUI replacement. The devices look ugly in 2018.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

clone

17 Mar 2018

Yup, Thor and subtractor are my homies still. Thor is my go to.

tobypearce

19 Mar 2018

Gosh - just found Demention pad patch for Maelstrom - wonderful!
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

jlgrimes

19 Mar 2018

normen wrote:
17 Mar 2018
Having Reason and not using the built-in devices seems to go against what Reason is really. Who'd buy Reason solely as a DAW after just looking at it for 10 minutes? It's about the devices.

Somebody posted this in the Reasontalk chat the other day, captures perfectly what Reason is about imo (Reason 4 times). Loads of synth emulations, tube emulations, effects emulations and whatnot all done with Reason internal devices and nicely packed up. The demo songs are really nice too ;)

http://web.archive.org/web/200610160751 ... m_Shop.zip
Yes. Reasons biggest strength is how well it’s native devices integrate with its sequencer. Biggest issue with VSTS are the difficulties of fully integrating them in the program.

Another strength is Reasons older devices were used by so many users that there are great tutorials of what most devices can do. Certain VSTS and even REs can be lacking when it comes to documentation and tutorials.

I agree the biggest benefit of Reason is its included devices.

Many other DAWS the included devices are more overlooked and many users go straight to VSTS.

A lot of Reasons most powerful devices come from like the first 4 versions.

Redrum, Subtractor, Thor, Malstrom, Scream, Combinator, NNXT, Rv7000, and even NN19 are classic devices for many folks.

Many did things that even some VSTS don’t do and yes all of them have major limitations but a lot of them have very direct interfaces that makes it very easy to tweak.

Subtractor is probably one of my favorite synths in terms of GUI for example. It is very easy to program a quick and dirty patch than using a more complex synth with buried or confusing interfaces.

Thor was a monster synth while complex still has a relatively easy to understand GUI. NI for example while having very powerful devices often had very complex GUIS. Massive was one of their more popular synths and I think that was an example where they did a good job of simplifying the GUI. Reasons new synths combine the power and technology of newer synths but at the same time keeping them Reasonlike. It would be a mistake though IMO to rely on the newer stuff for all of your sounds as the older stuff still does some things well while being extremely efficient on resources.

eXode

20 Mar 2018

avasopht wrote:
09 Mar 2018
hurricane wrote:
09 Mar 2018
There is no such thing in synthesis, unless you know of some new technique none of the other DSP devs know of, and especially one that would go undetected.
In synthesis no, but in digital audio world there is aliasing.

I think the point he is trying to make is that the synths in Reason alias, more or less, while some other VST synths offer different means to enable/disable anti aliasing. Different anti aliasing measures consume CPU cycles so the option is usually there for the user to choose between fidelity or performance.

eXode

20 Mar 2018

I like all three synths in Reason (pre RE) and I would like to see updated versions with optional anti aliasing solutions/improved filters, etc incorporated.

A combo of allowing the Subtractor's lofi oscillators but incorporating optional improved filter algorithms with saturation and oversampling could probably be very interesting from a "character" perspective. I'd also like the option to run the oscillators with high quality/anti aliasing as well though.

• Information