Using CV to control knobs without CV inputs

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
gnsdg

06 Mar 2018

Hey all, first post. I'm sure there are threads about this, so forgive me if so, but I found the topic a bit difficult to search.

I want to use an envelope follower CV out (from Pulveriser, for instance) to control one of Neptune's knobs so that the effect responds to vocal performance in real time. Because there's no CV input for this knob, I'm thinking about sending the envelope follower CV out to an External MIDI Instrument where the CV is assigned to that knob's MIDI CC #, then routing the MIDI back in and assigning it to the knob via an external control bus.

I think this will probably work, albeit with some latency. But frankly, it seems ridiculous.

Is there a rack extension that does this? Anyone know of less painful workarounds?

Thanks in advance!

Loque

06 Mar 2018

The Combinator is perfect for this. Put you Neptune in a Combinator, connect your CV to the Combinator CV input, go to the Mod Matrix of the Combinator, use CV as source and select Neptunes target controller.
Reason12, Win10

antic604

06 Mar 2018

I think using Combinator would be much simpler. Put Neptune into Combinator, assign one of its Rotaries to the desired Neptune's knob using the programmer. Flip the Rack and connect Pulveriser's envelope follower CV to your chosen Rotary.

Done :)

MikeMcKew

06 Mar 2018

Attached some pictures... perhaps this will do what you're looking for? Basically run the audio into the Pulveriser (knob set all the way to dry unless you want the effect) then into Neptune. CV out from Pulveriser's Follower into a CV input on the mix channel. In the mix channel's mod routing, route the same CV input to whatever parameter on the Neptune you're trying to control. Tweak the min/max values until it's doing what you want it to.

I did a quick test using guitar to make sure it works, seems to be functional. There could still be an easier way! Hope this helps.
Attachments
front.JPG
front.JPG (130.5 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
back.JPG
back.JPG (106.4 KiB) Viewed 1765 times

antic604

06 Mar 2018

Loque wrote:
06 Mar 2018
The Combinator is perfect for this. Put you Neptune in a Combinator, connect your CV to the Combinator CV input, go to the Mod Matrix of the Combinator, use CV as source and select Neptunes target controller.
Or this :)

gnsdg

06 Mar 2018

OMG COMBINATOR. I feel like an idiot. Thank you all!

I did a lot of work with Reason 4 back in the day and just recently came back to it. Lots of cobwebs.

Didn’t really realize audio tracks have similar functionality as well. That’s very helpful!

• Information