Reason Automaton Question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
BassmanJ

05 Mar 2018

Hello everyone, this is my first post to the forum! I'm brand-new to Reason, bought Essentials a few weeks ago, and upgraded to the full version as soon as I saw the $99 upgrade email! I'm loving it so far, but there is one thing I would like to do that I haven't found a great way to do just yet.

Basically, in a live performance setting, I would like to be able to automate which track is active. I'll be using my guitar as a MIDI controller (via Jam Origins MIDI Guitar), so I won't have a dedicated MIDI controller onstage to switch tracks. So for any given song, I would like to have, say, a clean channel (Channel A), an overdriven channel (Channel B), and a synth channel (Channel C). During the course of the song, I would like to automate changes in which channel my guitar is actively sending notes to (the song would, of course, theoretically be playing, even if It isn't playing any pre-recorded output). The best I've found so far is to assign a key to toggle the previous/next track. I'm sure I could figure out how to automate that, but if I wanted to, say, toggle from Channel A to Channel C, it would seem that I would either have to automate *two* instances of toggling to next track (A to B, then B to C), or I would just have to duplicate Track A and put it after Track C. Neither option seems particularly elegant to me.

Is there a way for me to do what I am trying to do? Or should I just ReWire Reason into Reaper for this purpose (I already figured out how to accomplish this in Reaper)?
Last edited by BassmanJ on 05 Mar 2018, edited 1 time in total.

amcjen

05 Mar 2018

Perhaps you could have the same guitar input on multiple channels and just automate the mutes? (Not at a computer atm so not sure if that’d work)

amcjen

05 Mar 2018

Perhaps you could have the same guitar input on multiple channels and just automate the mutes? (Not at a computer atm so not sure if that’d work)

BassmanJ

05 Mar 2018

amcjen wrote:
05 Mar 2018
I'm also not at my computer, so I can't try it out, but something like that seems like it might work. I look forward to giving it a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

Oquasec

05 Mar 2018

Splashtop, remote access fro microsoft version or the windows remote app butthen again You don't wannt usually have that enabled unless you want to use windows on your phone.
Only linux can be used on droids natively these days.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

BassmanJ

10 Mar 2018

Just learned about the 12-input, MIDI-controllable audio switch from Pongasoft. That'll do the trick.

Oquasec

12 Mar 2018

An old way is to use a combinator and route the wires to the device to toggle em automatically.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information