Getting no signals/sounds from Subtractor. What am I missing?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
islander

27 Feb 2018

Dear Reasoners,

new to the program I have already run into some issues in my demo trial, and can't seem to find any answers on youtube or in forums in previous threads.

The issues is: When installing the Subtractor as an instrument, either in the combinator or straight in the rack, I can't get the meter at the top right to register any output from the instrument. When looking at other videos, some just seem to tap "play" at the bottom of the sequencer, and Subtractor starts.

Anyone has any starting steps to follow. What am I missing?

Loque

27 Feb 2018

You need to ensure, you drag Subtractor into the rack without holding "shift" key - that creates automatically a mixer-channel for it. Than select the instrument on the left top corner to make it receive midi-notes (or alternatively select it's sequencer track).

You can also just drag a sequencer-device like "Matrix" from the utility-category below the instrument and click the "play" button on the Matrix.

If it still does not work, please post a picture of your setup.
Reason12, Win10

normen

27 Feb 2018

Are you even playing any notes with a MIDI keyboard on a sequencer lane or with a matrix device?

dhruan

27 Feb 2018

I would suggest opening one of the demo songs (File > Open demo songs > etc.) to see how things are routed etc.

Pressing Play on the transport controls will not make sounds happen unless you have midi info that the synth would play (as in notes in clips in the piano roll of the sequencer for the said device, for example subtractor etc.). If you just drag and drop a synth to the rack it should be routed automatically. Playing notes should cause an audible result (provided everything else was set up properly and the device was active > receiving notes from the MIDI keyboard).

Anyway, check one of the demo songs, it is pretty self explanatory and a good way to ensure that your setup is kosher otherwise (playing the song via Play on transport controls actually gives you audible results > Reason has been set up properly audio settings wise etc.).
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

Gorgon

27 Feb 2018

islander wrote:
27 Feb 2018
Dear Reasoners,

new to the program I have already run into some issues in my demo trial, and can't seem to find any answers on youtube or in forums in previous threads.

The issues is: When installing the Subtractor as an instrument, either in the combinator or straight in the rack, I can't get the meter at the top right to register any output from the instrument. When looking at other videos, some just seem to tap "play" at the bottom of the sequencer, and Subtractor starts.

Anyone has any starting steps to follow. What am I missing?
The manual, for one.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

• Information