Propellerheads might be waking up finally. Not that it means anything yet.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

04 Mar 2018

hurricane wrote:
04 Mar 2018
Well, speak for yourself.

Check this out - some of us actually make music using THIS program and post it to the music forum, then come on HERE pro-ing and con-ing the F out of it because we're invested in it cuz we actually really do use it to create MUSIC!
Imagine just how much more music you could write if you stayed off the forums, though! :puf_wink:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

hurricane
Competition Winner

04 Mar 2018

EnochLight wrote:
04 Mar 2018

Imagine just how much more music you could write if you stayed off the forums, though! :puf_wink:
There are these things called "breaks" people take every once in a while. "All work and no play..." :puf_wink:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Goodbye

04 Mar 2018

You spend more time on here dishing out your brand of passive-agressive smugness than anyone else so please don't roll out that line again. And putting smily faces after your condescending little digs just makes them look even more passive aggressive than they already are. Instead of hanging around threads like this, how about you stick to ones about music making and spend all the time you save making music. :D

EnochLight

04 Mar 2018

Goodbye wrote:
04 Mar 2018
You spend more time on here dishing out your brand of passive-agressive smugness than anyone else so please don't roll out that line again. And putting smily faces after your condescending little digs just makes them look even more passive aggressive than they already are. :D
And just imagine just how much more music you could write if you stayed off the forums! ;) :puf_bigsmile:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

strangers
Competition Winner

04 Mar 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
04 Mar 2018
:lol: That happens to be one of my favorite Interweb memes/gifs of all time. I jokingly use the line a lot so was funnier than you think to get it dished back for once.
normen wrote:
04 Mar 2018
People don't go to forums to make music, if I wanted to make music I wouldn't be on this forum now :) I think thats especially true for music forums and yet more for this one ;)
You've got me on a technicality there but wasn't really what I was aiming for. The point was we could all get so much more done with the tools at hand instead of going back and forth about improvements that may or may not be useful. I may be typing this up at this very moment. At the same time, this is happening during a quick break from mixing someone else's music.

And I thought I wasn't good at multi-tasking. You learn something new every day.

EnochLight

04 Mar 2018

hurricane wrote:
04 Mar 2018
EnochLight wrote:
04 Mar 2018

There are these things called "breaks" people take every once in a while. "All work and no play..." :puf_wink:
Heheh, true, true. Mr. Villa, you make a good point.

normen

04 Mar 2018

strangers wrote:
04 Mar 2018
You've got me on a technicality there but wasn't really what I was aiming for. The point was we could all get so much more done with the tools at hand instead of going back and forth about improvements that may or may not be useful. I may be typing this up at this very moment. At the same time, this is happening during a quick break from mixing someone else's music.

And I thought I wasn't good at multi-tasking. You learn something new every day.
Hehehe.. I was just putting the fact that if everybody was making music (as is so often suggested) nobody would post here in a funny way ;) I also post here mostly while waiting for shows to start and such. A nice "time waster" for somebody who isn't on facebook.

EnochLight

04 Mar 2018

normen wrote:
04 Mar 2018
A nice "time waster" for somebody who isn't on facebook.
Ugh... FB is such a freaking time suck. I try to stay away from that as much as possible, but still find myself checking in on occasion.

BRIGGS

04 Mar 2018

Fakebook where everyone's lives look like ice cream and unicorns.

meh...pass.
r11s

Kategra

05 Mar 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
04 Mar 2018

meh...pass.
You are missing so much :))))
You also do get the occasional protest invite, shares about terrorist attacks :( , new product releases, found wallet & ID share to find the owner :)))

AzureEyes

12 Mar 2018

I think that Reason needs to add more stuff periodically. I mean Apple, Ableton and Imageline do it. Why can't Propellerhead?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

antic604

12 Mar 2018

AzureEyes wrote:
12 Mar 2018
I think that Reason needs to add more stuff periodically. I mean Apple, Ableton and Imageline do it. Why can't Propellerhead?
Like so? https://www.reasonistas.com/reason-version-history

That's pretty regular, typically much less than 12 months between updates. Now it's a different matter completely if particular person finds the updates worthwhile... But it's the same with Ableton, that went almost 5 years between 9 and 10 and in the meantime updates were primarily focused on Push, which is great if you're a user of it.

madmacman

12 Mar 2018

antic604 wrote:
12 Mar 2018

That's pretty regular, typically much less than 12 months between updates.
I understood AzureEyes in a different way: There should be much more output *between* major releases.

And in fact - Propellerheads did! After the lackluster release of Reason 8, they added some additional features to minor versions, including the great convolution reverb to the RV7000 (brought with R8.3). And I remember some blog (?) entry where they said "Why should we hold back a new feature until next major release when it's ready?".

Unfortunately, they didn't keep up the pace.

Creativemind

12 Mar 2018

-008' wrote:
01 Mar 2018
I started on a 4 track tape machine, the notion that ANY daw today is "missing features" makes me absolutely

That's not what people are saying though. The things I want just improve workflow and make life easier.

The main ones:-

Manual Parameter Inputs
Copy and Paste Parameter Values
Sync Browsers Buttons on Each Browser
Sync Windows on the Fly
Searchable / Scalable Undo Events List
Cloning / Aliasing Clips
Time Markers
All Parameters in Right Readings inc Automation
EVERYTHING Automatable
Ganged Faders on the Main Mixer
Tab to Label Next Track in all 3 Windows
Labelling the Track Automatically Labels the Clip
Keyboard Shortcut to Put End Marker at Last Decayed Sound In Project
Tempo Detect of Audio
Auto Fit to Tempo of Audio
Auto Crossfading of Audio in Sequencer

Then a multitude of midi editing (dozen or more) and jobs a good'en.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

AzureEyes

13 Mar 2018

antic604 wrote:
AzureEyes wrote:
12 Mar 2018

That's pretty regular, typically much less than 12 months between updates. Now it's a different matter completely if particular person finds the updates worthwhile... But it's the same with Ableton, that went almost 5 years between 9 and 10 and in the meantime updates were primarily focused on Push, which is great if you're a user of it.
Like devices and effects! The M Class series needs a lift. When I work in Ableton Live Suite I use the EQ and Compressor more then my VSTs because they are modern and are fun to use. In Reason it's the complete opposite! New people buying a DAW for the first time look at that stuff! They see M Class EQ and then EQ Eight and pick Live!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

antic604

13 Mar 2018

AzureEyes wrote:
13 Mar 2018
Like devices and effects! The M Class series needs a lift. When I work in Ableton Live Suite I use the EQ and Compressor more then my VSTs because they are modern and are fun to use. In Reason it's the complete opposite! New people buying a DAW for the first time look at that stuff! They see M Class EQ and then EQ Eight and pick Live!
Oh, right! This I agree with completely. I can use the Limiter, Stereo Imager and Compressor just fine, but the EQ is terrible - the "display" only makes it worse, because it makes it obvious how "stiff" are those filters. And it wouldn't hurt them - or break the compatibility - if they added realtime spectrum of pre and post signal, coloured layers per band and modernised the look. I mean it's not a bad device, but looks soooo dated.

BRIGGS

13 Mar 2018

Kategra wrote:
05 Mar 2018
BRIGGS wrote:
04 Mar 2018

meh...pass.
You are missing so much :))))
You also do get the occasional protest invite, shares about terrorist attacks :( , new product releases, found wallet & ID share to find the owner :)))
Tanks I is already haz twitterz. :lol:
r11s

EnochLight

13 Mar 2018

AzureEyes wrote:
13 Mar 2018
antic604 wrote:
13 Mar 2018
Oh, right! This I agree with completely. I can use the Limiter, Stereo Imager and Compressor just fine, but the EQ is terrible - the "display" only makes it worse, because it makes it obvious how "stiff" are those filters. And it wouldn't hurt them - or break the compatibility - if they added realtime spectrum of pre and post signal, coloured layers per band and modernised the look. I mean it's not a bad device, but looks soooo dated.
I honestly haven't really touched the MClass EQ since Reason's graphical display to the main mixer EQ appeared. I find it much easier to use, and frankly - it looks a hell of lot sexier than Live's EQ Eight, IMHO.

I do wonder in this day and age of "now we can have anything" in Reason begs whether or not core effect devices need to be updated anymore?

esselfortium

13 Mar 2018

EnochLight wrote:
13 Mar 2018
AzureEyes wrote:
13 Mar 2018
antic604 wrote:
13 Mar 2018
I honestly haven't really touched the MClass EQ since Reason's graphical display to the main mixer EQ appeared. I find it much easier to use, and frankly - it looks a hell of lot sexier than Live's EQ Eight, IMHO.

I do wonder in this day and age of "now we can have anything" in Reason begs whether or not core effect devices need to be updated anymore?
I think it's still a necessity to update at least some of the old devices now and then so they can be seen as modern features again rather than outdated "we also have this, I guess" appendages, but I'd consider it pretty low on the priority list, just something to do every now and then.

The CF-101 could really use some love, it's certifiably antique. Now that I have both the Kuassa and Kilohearts chorus REs, my only use for the CF-101 anymore is CV-modulating very short delays, which in send mode is perfect for building tape-wobble effects but not really a selling feature for the only built-in chorus in the rack. :redface:

I don't think the MClass set is in dire shape, but I certainly wouldn't complain about an overhaul to it.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

EnochLight

13 Mar 2018

esselfortium wrote:
13 Mar 2018
I think it's still a necessity to update at least some of the old devices now and then so they can be seen as modern features again rather than outdated "we also have this, I guess" appendages, but I'd consider it pretty low on the priority list, just something to do every now and then.

The CF-101 could really use some love, it's certifiably antique. Now that I have both the Kuassa and Kilohearts chorus REs, my only use for the CF-101 anymore is CV-modulating very short delays, which in send mode is perfect for building tape-wobble effects but not really a selling feature for the only built-in chorus in the rack. :redface:

I don't think the MClass set is in dire shape, but I certainly wouldn't complain about an overhaul to it.
Fair enough. And adding convolution sampling to the RV7000 was superb, so clearly older devices can still be updated fairly easily.

MonsterRadioMan

13 Mar 2018

One update to the native devices that I think would be really cool and I've never seen anybody suggest is with the NN19. I think a cool addition to the NN19 that would really make it standout from the NNXT other than the modulation/automation you can do that you can't with NN19, is if it had some kind of sampler modeling like Kontakt has with it's MP60 and SP modes, or maybe something similar to the Tal Sampler where it does it's analogue emulation. I started thinking about this recently when I was considering how Ableton updated Simpler and really gave it it's own unique features other than just being a one shot player. I don't know many people who really use the NN19. I know some people do for it's CV inputs and what not and I do that as well, but I still feel like overall in the lab I work at it's the least used device in Reason. Nobody ever touches. Just something I been thinking about. Will never happen but I think it would be rad lol.

Goodbye

14 Mar 2018

Updating devices and creating new ones is obviously something nice-to-have, but RE develpers have and can supply great alternatives and new devices. Propellerhead should be concentrating on things RE devs can't do and making the RE SDK more capable:

- graphics overhaul
- remove SDK limitations
- improve sequencer
- performance
- bug fixes

Instead they have been consistently choosing the cheapest / easiest routes of:

- releasing old tech
- adding more devices in competition with existing ones
- low quality romplers
- subscriptions
- dated samples
- telling everyone how great the above are.

michael.jaye

14 Mar 2018

MonsterRadioMan wrote:I don't know many people who really use the NN19.
I use it all the time. If it’s a one-shot sample I get quicker results and more automatability than the NNXT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michael.jaye

14 Mar 2018

Goodbye wrote:Updating devices and creating new ones is obviously something nice-to-have, but RE develpers have and can supply great alternatives and new devices.
I strongly believe they should develop better or updated stock devices rather than leave it to RE developers. This way it’d be cheaper and also run very efficiently. A great example is the audio and cv mergers/splitters that Jiggery Pokery made. Props could quite easily have updated their own mergers & splitters. It’s remarkably lazy on their behalf. And why they don’t have a simple HPF with variable slopes or add Notch & HPF to their envelope-controlled filter device is maddeningly infuriating to me. Talk about missing the basics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Namyo85

14 Mar 2018

I'm still waiting for all the bugs to be fixed, more user preferences and browser improvements. What's been annoying me lately is is that all windows are not full screen but windowed when I start the program. I often save a project while all 3 windows are separated and full screen, however when I reopen the project sometimes the windows are windowed and not full screen, sometimes they all are, occasionally one or two of them are and the other one isn't or one is and the other two aren't. What on earth could be causing this inconsistency?
Also when originally separating the windows (ctrl F5 etc) it would be preferable if they opened full screen.

• Information