Propellerheads might be waking up finally. Not that it means anything yet.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
QVprod

14 Mar 2018

Namyo85 wrote:
14 Mar 2018
I'm still waiting for all the bugs to be fixed, more user preferences and browser improvements. What's been annoying me lately is is that all windows are not full screen but windowed when I start the program. I often save a project while all 3 windows are separated and full screen, however when I reopen the project sometimes the windows are windowed and not full screen, sometimes they all are, occasionally one or two of them are and the other one isn't or one is and the other two aren't. What on earth could be causing this inconsistency?
Also when originally separating the windows (ctrl F5 etc) it would be preferable if they opened full screen.
I pretty much answered this in your thread but the same thing applies. Set Reason up to how you want it, 3 full screen Windows etc... Then save it and choose it as your default template in Preferences.

Goodbye

14 Mar 2018

michael.jaye wrote:
14 Mar 2018
Goodbye wrote:Updating devices and creating new ones is obviously something nice-to-have, but RE develpers have and can supply great alternatives and new devices.
I strongly believe they should develop better or updated stock devices rather than leave it to RE developers. This way it’d be cheaper and also run very efficiently. A great example is the audio and cv mergers/splitters that Jiggery Pokery made. Props could quite easily have updated their own mergers & splitters. It’s remarkably lazy on their behalf. And why they don’t have a simple HPF with variable slopes or add Notch & HPF to their envelope-controlled filter device is maddeningly infuriating to me. Talk about missing the basics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd love those things to be native, but developers like Lectric Panda and Robot Bean have built great CV utils. They already exist, and for very reasonable prices on the whole. There was a really good bunch of RE developers at one point, but instead of updating the SDK so the large developers could port VSTs over, they have left lots of restrictions in place. Now there are a handful of independent developers left (thankfully most are really good devs), but they've lost all the major industry players through their laziness. Worse still, they now build their own REs using the SDK, so they are also limited by these restriction. If they had concentrated on building the tools for devs to build better REs we would have a thriving ecosystem by now instead of an ever-shrinking pool.

REs are already cheap (if you buy a bundle or wait for the sale). What nobody outside Propellerhead can do is improve the SDK and improve the sequencer, so that is what they should be focused on imho.

sublunar

14 Mar 2018

So.. things have been quiet. Too quiet.

New update coming out soon? Feels like we're about due for one. Like a massive back-end workflow update with huge MIDI editing advancements. Also a video monitoring track and better audio editing tools. Yes. That's definitely what I'm feeling.

kuhliloach

14 Mar 2018

obviously the CEO needs to leave before anything good can happen - perhaps an acquisition is near

madmacman

14 Mar 2018

kuhliloach wrote:
14 Mar 2018
perhaps an acquisition is near
Jeez no. Most DAW acquisitions I can remember usually ended up with the product going down the drain. (This opinion excludes the acquisition by really big players, e.g. Yamaha --> Steinberg, or Apple --> Logic)

EnochLight

14 Mar 2018

kuhliloach wrote:
14 Mar 2018
obviously the CEO needs to leave before anything good can happen - perhaps an acquisition is near

picard-facepalm.jpg
picard-facepalm.jpg (39.44 KiB) Viewed 3306 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Creativemind

14 Mar 2018

Goodbye wrote:
14 Mar 2018
I'd love those things to be native, but developers like Lectric Panda and Robot Bean have built great CV utils. They already exist, and for very reasonable prices on the whole. There was a really good bunch of RE developers at one point, but instead of updating the SDK so the large developers could port VSTs over, they have left lots of restrictions in place. Now there are a handful of independent developers left (thankfully most are really good devs), but they've lost all the major industry players through their laziness. Worse still, they now build their own REs using the SDK, so they are also limited by these restriction. If they had concentrated on building the tools for devs to build better REs we would have a thriving ecosystem by now instead of an ever-shrinking pool.
I fully agree with this. They (apparently) were asked for a decade or more for vst support for Reason and refused to cave. They gave us Re's instead. Then out of the blue vst support arrived. They should've concentrated on the SDK 3 after 2.5 I think and gave us that in 9.5 instead. As vst was close after SDK 2.5 arrived maybe they should of delayed 9.5 a month or 2. They should've just brought it up to par with vst.

What would need improving? Notes / patterns / loops to track being in the top 3. Built in undo's and not sure the correct terminology but something do with routing midi outs on stuff like Kontakt isn't it? Also, changing colours of Re's would be cool and being able to add jpg and png thumbnails to Re's and to be able to horizontally and vertically scroll them so they could be used on patches and stuff.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

14 Mar 2018

AzureEyes wrote:
13 Mar 2018
Like devices and effects! The M Class series needs a lift.
You're right. The M-Class EQ could use more bands and the M-Class Compressor could do with a visual display. One like you get on Logic's compressor that shows you in like a graph type display how the signal's being compressed.

Creativemind

14 Mar 2018

Namyo85 wrote:
14 Mar 2018
Also when originally separating the windows (ctrl F5 etc) it would be preferable if they opened full screen.
They do on mine. The only annoying thing I find is that (I thought) the sequencer was the main primary screen no? Sometimes when I open projects that have the screens seperated already, that it doesn't automatically go to the sequencer sometimes.

QVprod

14 Mar 2018

Creativemind wrote:
14 Mar 2018
Namyo85 wrote:
14 Mar 2018
They do on mine. The only annoying thing I find is that (I thought) the sequencer was the main primary screen no? Sometimes when I open projects that have the screens seperated already, that it doesn't automatically go to the sequencer sometimes.
It opens to whatever the screen was when you last saved.

Goodbye

15 Mar 2018

kuhliloach wrote:
14 Mar 2018
I think they need a new product manager.

Namyo85

15 Mar 2018

QVprod wrote:
14 Mar 2018
Namyo85 wrote:
14 Mar 2018
I'm still waiting for all the bugs to be fixed, more user preferences and browser improvements. What's been annoying me lately is is that all windows are not full screen but windowed when I start the program. I often save a project while all 3 windows are separated and full screen, however when I reopen the project sometimes the windows are windowed and not full screen, sometimes they all are, occasionally one or two of them are and the other one isn't or one is and the other two aren't. What on earth could be causing this inconsistency?
I pretty much answered this in your thread but the same thing applies. Set Reason up to how you want it, 3 full screen Windows etc... Then save it and choose it as your default template in Preferences.
Hi QVprod, When I save a song and open reason again, the last song I was working on opens which is what I want. It's no good saving a template, opening it, then opening my last song, that would add an extra pointless step, lol. Point is Reason should remember the last saved state exactly, not decide to window a full screen randomly. Note, when I say windowed, it's almost full screen, the windows borders the desktop if you like.

Namyo85

15 Mar 2018

QVprod wrote:
14 Mar 2018
Creativemind wrote:
14 Mar 2018

No it doesn't, I tried again a moment ago. The mixer and rack window weren't full screen despite saving it full screen last time. The issue is random though. I maximized the windows, saved and opened and this time they were all full screen so doesn't always happen. It isn't a massive deal really but I'd still prefer it to be consistent. Creativemind: Yes, that also sometimes happens, the windows are re-shuffled! :lol:

QVprod

15 Mar 2018

Namyo85 wrote:
15 Mar 2018
QVprod wrote:
14 Mar 2018

Hi QVprod, When I save a song and open reason again, the last song I was working on opens which is what I want. It's no good saving a template, opening it, then opening my last song, that would add an extra pointless step, lol. Point is Reason should remember the last saved state exactly, not decide to window a full screen randomly. Note, when I say windowed, it's almost full screen, the windows borders the desktop if you like.
Of course it's up to the individual what's more of a problem; having to setup the windows in the way they want each time or selecting the last worked on song in 2 clicks from the file menu.
Namyo85 wrote:
15 Mar 2018
QVprod wrote:
14 Mar 2018

No it doesn't, I tried again a moment ago. The mixer and rack window weren't full screen despite saving it full screen last time. The issue is random though. I maximized the windows, saved and opened and this time they were all full screen so doesn't always happen. It isn't a massive deal really but I'd still prefer it to be consistent. Creativemind: Yes, that also sometimes happens, the windows are re-shuffled! :lol:
Here however, I will concede after testing that multiple separate windows do function differently with the rack being the primary window and it not being full screen. On my dual monitor setup, the behavior I listed above (returning to the state last saved) is what occurs.

123repeater

16 Mar 2018

hurricane wrote:
27 Feb 2018
When I saw that email I thought nothing of it. IMO, it didn't say much between the lines.

It would be pretty bold of the Props though, to deliver another content-centric update. It's pretty clear their current #1 priority as of late is to get as many NEW users as possible. But they can only pursue that objective so much longer before they really start upsetting their more "established" users. Therefore I expect the next major update of Reason to focus on actual new features, enhancements, and bug fixes. I cannot imagine them sitting in a meeting asking "What do we give them in Reason 11?" and the answers being "How about more synths and more loops?".

However, the only thing that concerns me is the possibility that they do actually add something major in Reason 11, but that they'll devote ALL their resources to making it an addition that focuses on one specific piece of the music making pie. So for example, if they chose to try to make this major push and attract the Ableton crowd, and create something like an Ableton-like loop browser, where the Props create a new loop mixer/loop launchpad, and it's like this big elaborate complex THING which joins the rack, mixer, and sequencer as window #4, and it's like the new highlighted #1 feature of Reason 11. And since they're still supposedly a "small" company and don't have the resources to give us a balls-to-the-wall update like Apple do with Logic, that will be the only major addition to Reason, thus leaving all non-loopers, like myself, in the dust. But then again it's kind of what they did with Reason 10. I certainly didn't want or NEED any more loops or synths. There was nothing in R10 that was for MOI. That update was for someone else. Sigh....but you can't please everyone, yeah yeah, I know...

Reason 6 was such a sweet update - a new mixer, audio recording & editing, the echo, pulverizer, alligator, the Line 6 amps, time stretching, pitch-shifting, interface enhancements, bug fixes.

All that came in ONE update.

Those were the good old days.
I'm praying this is part of the update if not the whole update. Reason needs to be better for live music performance.

Goodbye

16 Mar 2018

I just don't buy the whole 'they're just concentrating on acquiring new users' the thing. The content update wasn't about getting new users. It was about doing the simplest possible thing they could do and still get away with calling it a major release:

- licence romplers
- licence samples
- 2 REs
- hype

New users who open reason are really not getting much that they wouldn't have had access to before. Ok there are more samples, but samples are easy to come buy. There are a couple of REs, but there are loads of well priced REs available. This translates to the endless RE sales. They are milking what already exists to the max in the absence of anything else to offer.

Reason 10 was all about a quick buck without investing in infrastructure.

I honestly think the company is in trouble. It has invested hard in some kind of project we haven't seen yet (iPad, big update, new app), but is finding it very hard to get it to market. They don't want to touch the current Reason codebase because their priorities are elsewhere. Hence no feature requests, bug fixes or performance improvements. They've even gone quiet on social media. I think despite all their marketing hype, they are really struggling to monetise Reason (in my opinion because it is so badly in need of updating). They are looking for the quick buck instead of addressing the core (unless that is the big thing on the horizon). If you look at their Facebook page, the release of R10 got 130 likes. Now I hate Facebook like a whore hates herpes, but that is a pretty tiny number for a major release.
Last edited by Goodbye on 16 Mar 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

16 Mar 2018

Goodbye wrote:
16 Mar 2018
I just don't buy the whole 'they're just concentrating on acquiring new users' the thing. The content update wasn't about getting new users. It was about doing the simplest possible thing they could do and still get away with calling it a major release:

- licence romplers
- licence samples
- 2 REs
- hype

New users who open reason are really not getting much that they wouldn't have had access to before. Ok there are more samples, but samples are easy to come buy. There are a couple of REs, but there are loads of well priced REs available. This translates to the endless RE sales. They are milking what already exists to the max in the absence of anything else to offer.

I honestly think the company is in trouble. It has invested hard in some kind of project we haven't seen yet (iPad, big update, new app), but is finding it very hard to get it to market. They don't want to touch the current Reason codebase because their priorities are elsewhere. Hence no feature requests, bug fixes or performance improvements. They even gone quiet on social media.
A company in trouble is not hiring:
https://www.propellerheads.se/employment
Reason12, Win10

Goodbye

16 Mar 2018

Loque wrote:
16 Mar 2018
Goodbye wrote:
16 Mar 2018

- licence romplers
- licence samples
- 2 REs
- hype

I honestly think the company is in trouble. It has invested hard in some kind of project we haven't seen yet (iPad, big update, new app), but is finding it very hard to get it to market. They don't want to touch the current Reason codebase because their priorities are elsewhere. Hence no feature requests, bug fixes or performance improvements. They even gone quiet on social media.
I honestly don't think that means anything. Have they actually hired anyone recently? We don't know.

Loque

16 Mar 2018

Goodbye wrote:
16 Mar 2018
Loque wrote:
16 Mar 2018

I honestly don't think that means anything. Have they actually hired anyone recently? We don't know.
Yea, all speculation ;)
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

16 Mar 2018

I'm going to copy & paste the fuck out of this thread when Reason 14 adds ghost lanes.

Goodbye

16 Mar 2018

Loque wrote:
16 Mar 2018
Goodbye wrote:
16 Mar 2018

Yea, all speculation ;)
Wild speculation ;)

tc13

16 Mar 2018

Well, we know that last year(2016) was a very good year for the company.

According to the yearly statement (this is public information in Sweden) the profit margin was 31 per cent for 2016. Seems unlikely that Ph is in any major danger. The numbers are there for anyone to see...

https://www.hitta.se/f%C3%B6retagsinfor ... 5565462206

Loque

16 Mar 2018

Goodbye wrote:
16 Mar 2018
Loque wrote:
16 Mar 2018

Yea, all speculation ;)
Wild speculation ;)
Didnt found something from 2017, but this here goes to 2016:
http://www.largestcompanies.com/company ... rrency=EUR
Reason12, Win10

Goodbye

16 Mar 2018

Their parent company and sister company are both making losses and Propellerhead are making a tiny profit for a company that mature. I'd say that looks far from healthy and would explain why they sold out to those investors.

Loque

16 Mar 2018

Goodbye wrote:
16 Mar 2018
Their parent company and sister company are both making losses and Propellerhead are making a tiny profit for a company that mature. I'd say that looks far from healthy and would explain why they sold out to those investors.
Nearly 31% profit isnt low....
Reason12, Win10

• Information