Reason 10 performance / Ram Ddr Go

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Riko

25 Feb 2018

Hey what's up everyone so i have a little question. So i'm not an expert with reason but i own balance + reason 10 .
I have a pretty good computer
I7-7700 Cpu 4.20 ghz and 16gb ram ddr4
So my question is.
I like to put compressers, play with all kinds of effects etc when i record!
I have my master tune at 440hz sample rate 48000 and buffer size 512 sample input latency is 11ms and ouput 10ms
But when i start to add like 2-3 guitars it freaks out and becomes to slow!!

So my question is: if i buy an axtra 16 gb ram (200 bucks!!) is reason going to be faster i mean will it deal with the effects and stuff? Or i'm just doing something wrong here?
Thanks for the help guys, don't forget i'm a noob and my english is not the best!
Thanks ! Love yall

Kategra

26 Feb 2018

Hi Riko!

As far as I know, adding another 16 GB ram will not not make Reason faster :(
I recommend upgrading the CPU (and suitable motherboard for the new CPU). Get the best CPU from INTEL you can afford if you want to record with low latency and more FX than 7700 can handle.
You can get some info from this thread: "Reason 9.5 & above CPU Stress Tests (2017, two different songfiles included)!"
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7501402

EnochLight

26 Feb 2018

Riko wrote:
25 Feb 2018
So my question is: if i buy an axtra 16 gb ram (200 bucks!!) is reason going to be faster i mean will it deal with the effects and stuff?
No. Not at all. Not measurably, anyway. Adding RAM is only useful for projects that utilize loads of samples that you need to keep loaded/streamed into RAM (such as Kotakt libraries, etc), but even that won't improve CPU performance in Reason.

Try lowering your sample rate to 44.1 Khz, and increase your buffer to 512. Maybe bounce some of your tracks to audio, too.

Your "newer" CPU is only slightly faster than my 6 year old Core i7-3770K, though, so it may be time to upgrade to a faster processor. Additionally, the Spectre/Meltdown patches that hit Windows 10 might be affecting your performance as well, though it shouldn't really be noticeable on your recent CPU (from 2016).

ceepeeyooz.JPG
ceepeeyooz.JPG (81.61 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

demt

27 Feb 2018

hears a trick set your chip to 70 percent,three clicks to do, and keep worrying and resetting the value untill about a month later youll have forgotten the exact value to find that your computer witch you presumed was at a hundred percent actually did the old maximum task while set to 60 percent mind over matter my frends mind over matter ps it works cos its that easy to change the processer value that it takes your cutting edge mind of the problem
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Gorgon

27 Feb 2018

Look in the Windows performance monitor how much memory you're using and how much CPU power is being used and make a decision based on that information.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

• Information