Too long of a boot time

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
vizuallyzah

23 Feb 2018

Hey guys! Wassup?

So I have a question that I hope u guys can answer. I have a lot of plugins, and Everytime I boot reason it takes almost 10 mins just to start scaning them. It's really frustrating to feel inspired and wanting to go to work on something and having to wait between 10-15 mins everytime I want to open the software (sometimes it goes to the 20 min mark). So my question is if any of you know how to diminish the boot time if u have many plugins.

In case u need it here's my PC:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (Base Clock speed)
RAM: 8 Gb
HDD: 1 Tb Barracuda
SSD: 250 Gb Samsung(? Don't remember the brand)

aburazaru

23 Feb 2018

I have a similar issue, although not as pronounced as yours (only three to four minutes to load). It seems that reason feels the need to re-check the VST directories you have it pointed to with every boot up. Although I can appreciate the fanciness of having my shiny new plugins right there immediately after open, I'd be just as happy to get my 10 second load times back and have to press a "Re-Scan" button after additions are made...

I've been told that this is only because reason sees a change in the directory. Maybe some sort of updated time stamp or something? The problem is, I hadn't added any new stuff, nor had I touched any of those VST directories. I'm thinking maybe there's another process (perhaps a virus scan or windows update) touching the directories and tricking Reason into thinking that something was added?

Either way, I just need a way to turn that shit off. If I have a hot track idea that I need to flesh out right now... having to take a smoke break while my DAW boots up is not the way I want to start.
How was I supposed to know "don't touch" meant to not push the big...red...button?

Loque

24 Feb 2018

Pretty anyoing. Reason should only rescan if something changed, but it scans all the time. It's a bug. Feel free to report it to PH.
Reason12, Win10

United South

24 Feb 2018

Thing is Studio 1 also scans at every boot up but it only takes seconds though. I usually launch Reason then go get something to drink while waiting on it finish.

Gorgon

24 Feb 2018

Loque wrote:
24 Feb 2018
Pretty anyoing. Reason should only rescan if something changed, but it scans all the time. It's a bug. Feel free to report it to PH.
All VST hosts scan all VST's at startup.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Eagleizer

24 Feb 2018

vizuallyzah wrote:
23 Feb 2018
Hey guys! Wassup?

So I have a question that I hope u guys can answer. I have a lot of plugins, and Everytime I boot reason it takes almost 10 mins just to start scaning them. It's really frustrating to feel inspired and wanting to go to work on something and having to wait between 10-15 mins everytime I want to open the software (sometimes it goes to the 20 min mark). So my question is if any of you know how to diminish the boot time if u have many plugins.

In case u need it here's my PC:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (Base Clock speed)
RAM: 8 Gb
HDD: 1 Tb Barracuda
SSD: 250 Gb Samsung(? Don't remember the brand)
Make sure that you don`t have any 32 bit or other incompatible VTS`s in
any of the folders that Reason is searching through. This should solve the problem.

You can also disable plugins you don`t use in Window -> Manage Plugins.
Unfortunately, you have to disable them one by one...

You can also have plugins you don`t use so often in a separate folders.
Then you can turn those folders ON or Off as you need them in
Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced Tab - VST Plugins Folders
(You'll have to Add them there first though...)
You will also have to restart after doing this.

The last method is also useful for locating problematic VST`s.

Cheers :)

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2018

I find Reason takes the pee a bit when booting up (due to scanning VSTs) but nothing like that amount of time.

I noticed with Cubase that the first boot up of the day has a fair pause at the VST scan stage but if it is later closed and opened again it flies through the loading process.
Reason is just slow, everytime.

Grum.

NekujaK

24 Feb 2018

I have over 300 VSTs and Reason takes about 8-10 seconds to startup on my Win 7 system.

But a couple of months ago, all of a sudden Reason's startup time slowed down drastically to about 7 minutes, and I couldn't figure out why. I tried disabling plugins and completely removing plugins, but nothing helped.... until I disabled my Waves plugins.

It turned out I needed to update my Waves plugins. After running the Waves plugin manager and letting it do an update, Reason went back to its usual 8-10 second startup. So if you have any Waves plugins, check to see if they need to be updated.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

United South

24 Feb 2018

NekujaK wrote:
24 Feb 2018
I have over 300 VSTs and Reason takes about 8-10 seconds to startup on my Win 7 system.

But a couple of months ago, all of a sudden Reason's startup time slowed down drastically to about 7 minutes, and I couldn't figure out why. I tried disabling plugins and completely removing plugins, but nothing helped.... until I disabled my Waves plugins.

It turned out I needed to update my Waves plugins. After running the Waves plugin manager and letting it do an update, Reason went back to its usual 8-10 second startup. So if you have any Waves plugins, check to see if they need to be updated.
I been updated my waves plugins and Reason still takes 3-4 minutes to scan. Even still if it was a waves problem it wouldn't only happens in Reason and no other DAW.

EnochLight

07 Mar 2018

United South wrote:
24 Feb 2018
I been updated my waves plugins and Reason still takes 3-4 minutes to scan. Even still if it was a waves problem it wouldn't only happens in Reason and no other DAW.
See if there are any 32-bit plugins lingering in your VST folders. If so, cut them out and paste them somewhere else and see if that fixes your issue. If it does, yay! If not, then cut/paste them back and keep troubleshooting (I'm assuming your reached out to support)?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

JoeGYork

07 Mar 2018

Interesting thread thanks! As a newbie to Reason I have noted the time it takes to boot up - I have quite a few 32 bit plug ins that I use in Sonar HS & Ableton Live Lite with few problems. Judging from the above am I correct in thinking that Reason won't handle 32 bit? If so I need to set up a way of ensuring that they are not scanned on start up but still available to the other DAWs - presumably setting up a folder that Reason doesn't scan.

moneykube

07 Mar 2018

you can tell reason where to scan ... I have scan turned off until I need to use vst... fast start up... aha addressed better earlier in thread... never mind.. :oops:
Last edited by moneykube on 07 Mar 2018, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

United South

07 Mar 2018

EnochLight wrote:
07 Mar 2018
United South wrote:
24 Feb 2018
See if there are any 32-bit plugins lingering in your VST folders. If so, cut them out and paste them somewhere else and see if that fixes your issue. If it does, yay! If not, then cut/paste them back and keep troubleshooting (I'm assuming your reached out to support)?
Thanks will try and no I haven't reached out since I know PH don't really fix anything.

EnochLight

08 Mar 2018

United South wrote:
07 Mar 2018
Thanks will try and no I haven't reached out since I know PH don't really fix anything.
Now that’s just silly - of course they fix bugs - but people have to report them to get them logged and placed in cue to get fixed.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EdGrip

08 Mar 2018

vizuallyzah

01 Apr 2018

Loque wrote:
24 Feb 2018
Well I'll do just that if it is a bug!

Also thank you everyone for sharing their thoughts! Big up to all trying to help, Really appreciate it! :)

EnochLight

01 Apr 2018

vizuallyzah wrote:
01 Apr 2018
Loque wrote:
24 Feb 2018
Well I'll do just that if it is a bug!

Also thank you everyone for sharing their thoughts! Big up to all trying to help, Really appreciate it! :)
This should be fixed in the latest 10.0.3 d21 (at least, it appears to be on my rig)...

Re8et
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2018

Just one question, no one made. Are ALL of your Vst into the SSD?
If you had them installed in the Barracuda, that is certainly a reason for the slow boot.

• Information