Do you read the ReasonTalk articles?

This forum is for discussing Propellerhead's music software. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Do you read the ReasonTalk articles?

Yes
25
35%
No
18
25%
Sometimes
28
39%
 
Total votes: 71
User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 5415
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, VA
Contact:

22 Feb 2018

Just simple answers for the poll: Yes, No, or Sometimes. I didn't want to create too many options and would like to hear from you.
This of course, is in regards to our articles located here: https://www.reasontalk.com/

Please provide in the comments your reasons why and if there's anything you would like to see more of. Any favorite articles or types of content?

Let us know how you learn about new articles. Do you visit the front page regularly? Learn about articles via threads in the forum? See them on Facebook or Twitter? Is it via the 'Recent News' in the sidebar (or bottom) of the forum?

I'm excited that our contributor group is growing and we're very happy to have the excellent new additions to the team :)

Our goal is to not only give a spotlight to topics related to Reason and to those contributors, but to also have great content that inspires conversation here in the forum. It all ties together and it's all about promoting a great sense of community.

I feel like our content and writing has improved over time and certainly will always have room for improvement. And having some new folks onboard has really helped keep things more active. What do you think? What can we improve on?

Thank you for your input. It's greatly appreciated!

User avatar
stfual
Posts: 113
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Contact:

22 Feb 2018

Rarely. Reasons as follows.

1: Bookmarked forum and there is no easy link back to Reasontalk main page. Always, always have a link to your revenue generator.
2:Mostly seems like promotional editorial. The forums seem to contain more honest discussion even if it's trolly sometimes. I've just looked at the main site and there is more education than I remembered.
3: Honestly has the feel of being paid for by Propellerhead without them taking any responsibility for it. I've never seen anything critical of the company line which I'd expect to see on a "neutral".

Sort of like the airline magazine. I browse it occasionally but I know it's all going to be lightweight fluff promoting something.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 5415
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, VA
Contact:

22 Feb 2018

stfual wrote:
22 Feb 2018
Rarely. Reasons as follows.

1: Bookmarked forum and there is no easy link back to Reasontalk main page. Always, always have a link to your revenue generator.
2:Mostly seems like promotional editorial. The forums seem to contain more honest discussion even if it's trolly sometimes. I've just looked at the main site and there is more education than I remembered.
3: Honestly has the feel of being paid for by Propellerhead without them taking any responsibility for it. I've never seen anything critical of the company line which I'd expect to see on a "neutral".

Sort of like the airline magazine. I browse it occasionally but I know it's all going to be lightweight fluff promoting something.
Thanks for this. Yes, linking back to the main page is something we need to fix. Although, I think the forum is still the greater player in paying for the servers.

We continue to try to be informative with our articles and offer substance that isn't given other places. Whether that's some tips with a device or interviews with developers.

We certainly do strive to be neutral, but at our frequency of publishing with the time we have, we are often times naturally writing about things that inspire us. We would in a sense have to go out of our way to find something to completely pick apart. We do aim to be constructive in reviews and it's something I think all of us are looking to improve upon. But many times we are writing about the release of a product and trying to provide unique content with interjecting interviews, facts, and tips about the device. We link back to the forum where folks can all offer their opinions.

In an interview with Dave Spiers, I asked his opinion on the RE subscription service and he offered his honest opinion and in another interview with Zvork he gives his opinion of the RE SDK unfiltered. Just a couple examples that I can think of off the top of my head.

Of course, these things are sprinkled throughout and I can understand how it might not be noticed or seem like a good balance. Your point is definitely noted and I'm hoping that having more contributors and more content will help with that :)

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 342
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

22 Feb 2018

stfual wrote:
22 Feb 2018
Rarely. Reasons as follows.

3: Honestly has the feel of being paid for by Propellerhead without them taking any responsibility for it. I've never seen anything critical of the company line which I'd expect to see on a "neutral".

Sort of like the airline magazine. I browse it occasionally but I know it's all going to be lightweight fluff promoting something.
This is EXACTLY why I don't read the articles. And then what really made me raise both my eyebrows high up off my face was when I saw the article called "Why Subscriptions is a good thing" which goes completely against what people on this board think per the recent poll (and the majority of music making folks around the world, if you go by the general response by users towards subscriptions as seen on various popular forums) And then in response to our (and the entire internet's) Reason 10 outrage, you guys put out an article titled "The Case For Reason 10". So it raises these questions for me (which you might as well answer) Are you guys paid in any way by Propellerhead or any entity pertaining to Propellerhead software OR do they contribute monetarily in any way towards the cost to maintain the website?

I also don't believe there is a single negative review on anything. If you guys were Computer Music magazine you would give everything a 10 out of 10.

SOMETHING SMELLS FUNNY.

scratchnsnifff
Posts: 808
Joined: 21 Sep 2016

22 Feb 2018

Would be cool if there was a device of the month, showcase a rack extension new or old and show off some tips and tricks or unknown features :)
Also interviews with the props are always cool
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

justjoyce
Posts: 8
Joined: 18 Feb 2018

22 Feb 2018

The last post was made two months ago. It should atleast be updated twice a week to gather more readers.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 5415
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, VA
Contact:

22 Feb 2018

hurricane wrote:
22 Feb 2018
stfual wrote:
22 Feb 2018
Rarely. Reasons as follows.

3: Honestly has the feel of being paid for by Propellerhead without them taking any responsibility for it. I've never seen anything critical of the company line which I'd expect to see on a "neutral".

Sort of like the airline magazine. I browse it occasionally but I know it's all going to be lightweight fluff promoting something.
This is EXACTLY why I don't read the articles. And then what really made me raise both my eyebrows high up off my face was when I saw the article called "Why Subscriptions is a good thing" which goes completely against what people on this board think per the recent poll (and the majority of music making folks around the world, if you go by the general response by users towards subscriptions as seen on various popular forums) And then in response to our (and the entire internet's) Reason 10 outrage, you guys put out an article titled "The Case For Reason 10". So it raises these questions for me (which you might as well answer) Are you guys paid in any way by Propellerhead or any entity pertaining to Propellerhead software OR do they contribute monetarily in any way towards the cost to maintain the website?

I also don't believe there is a single negative review on anything. If you guys were Computer Music magazine you would give everything a 10 out of 10.

SOMETHING SMELLS FUNNY.
Sorry you feel this way. Those are the opinions of two different people who wrote those. And people can just so happen to have positive opinions of something. The odds are great. I mentioned above, perhaps views will be more diverse as we bring on more people to write. In that opinion piece about Subscriptions, Kenni did close with saying what he felt the subscription service was lacking.

As far as reviews go, I don't write many. I really like doing interviews and release articles that offer more content. I don't see myself spending time writing a review about anything I would give anything less than an 7/10 (if we were scoring). I just don't know why I would. But that's me and I recognize that.

I put out an open call for contributors, but not many have come forward. The initiative was to offer the platform for all ReasonTalk members to express themselves, because it's not all about us (the mod team). However, I have been reaching out to more contributors and am very happy with who we have brought onboard. For instance, I think Teflon Tomb (modecca) brings a completely different energy and unique approach and he even pokes fun at ReasonTalk :)

No, Propellerhead does not contribute monetarily to the site. The ads pay for the servers.

User avatar
jayhosking
Posts: 425
Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Contact:

22 Feb 2018

hurricane wrote:
22 Feb 2018
stfual wrote:
22 Feb 2018
Rarely. Reasons as follows.

3: Honestly has the feel of being paid for by Propellerhead without them taking any responsibility for it. I've never seen anything critical of the company line which I'd expect to see on a "neutral".

Sort of like the airline magazine. I browse it occasionally but I know it's all going to be lightweight fluff promoting something.
This is EXACTLY why I don't read the articles. And then what really made me raise both my eyebrows high up off my face was when I saw the article called "Why Subscriptions is a good thing" which goes completely against what people on this board think per the recent poll (and the majority of music making folks around the world, if you go by the general response by users towards subscriptions as seen on various popular forums) And then in response to our (and the entire internet's) Reason 10 outrage, you guys put out an article titled "The Case For Reason 10". So it raises these questions for me (which you might as well answer) Are you guys paid in any way by Propellerhead or any entity pertaining to Propellerhead software OR do they contribute monetarily in any way towards the cost to maintain the website?

I also don't believe there is a single negative review on anything. If you guys were Computer Music magazine you would give everything a 10 out of 10.

SOMETHING SMELLS FUNNY.
While I don't fully disagree with you, please remember
1) that people were specifically asking for subscriptions on this very forum (before they got them and realized, like some of us already had, that they weren't especially needed), and
2) there are only two people going full-on "outrage" on this board, and you're one of them. Reason 10 is awesome. Does that mean I'm uncritical of it or having all my needs met with it? Certainly not. Nor does it mean that I think it's not missing some critical features. But the difference between 9 and 10 is substantial and I've been using Europa and Grain extensively since their release.

Personally, I don't pay too much attention to the articles because they don't necessarily give me anything I don't already know or get from these forums. What I'd like to see is more on the creation process, taking advantage of Reason's workspace, re-thinking how/where to integrate the older devices in this newer era, hidden older gems on the RE store, etc. Some of the more recent discussion, around featuring musicians' work, sounds neat, too. But mainly I really appreciate the mostly positive and useful discussion on these boards, and that's why I come here at all. I'd love to see more frequent contributions, but I can't imagine it's easy to get people to write for free.
Last edited by jayhosking on 22 Feb 2018, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 5415
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, VA
Contact:

22 Feb 2018

justjoyce wrote:
22 Feb 2018
The last post was made two months ago. It should atleast be updated twice a week to gather more readers.
Where are you looking? There's been several articles just this week :)

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 342
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

23 Feb 2018

Ok Joey, but if you all are just going to write reviews on products you like - what the hell is the point of "reviews"? Those aren't reviews, those are very wordy advertisements. There are tons of shitty refills out there. I'd like to know which ones to stay away from. Same goes with rack extensions and VSTs (yes even though you can trial/demo them). Every time I see a Reasontalk "review" I immediately toss it aside because I know how it's going to go down.

And when are we going to see an article that doesn't look at all things 'Reason' through rose-colored glasses? Here I go bringing up Computer Music Magazine again, but these guys are notorious for giving anything and everything a positive review, but even THEY scored Reason 10 a 7 out of 10! There's real stuff to talk about here - but all we keep seeing from Reasontalk is "Reason 10 is awesome" or "Subscriptions are amazing" or 'this rack extension is great' and 'this refill is fantastic'.

So - I am not particularly fond of the newly released ES01, and an older RE, Hydronexius - assuming they pass all the guidelines, would Reasontalk post my reviews?

User avatar
QVprod
Posts: 1846
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Contact:

23 Feb 2018

jayhosking wrote:
22 Feb 2018

Personally, I don't pay too much attention to the articles because they don't necessarily give me anything I don't already know or get from these forums. What I'd like to see is more on the creation process, taking advantage of Reason's workspace, re-thinking how/where to integrate the older devices in this newer era, hidden older gems on the RE store, etc. Some of the more recent discussion, around featuring musicians' work, sounds neat, too. But mainly I really appreciate the mostly positive and useful discussion on these boards, and that's why I come here at all. I'd love to see more frequent contributions, but I can't imagine it's easy to get people to write for free.
With this response in mind, I think a great question is what kind of content would interest you all? Everything above is noted.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 5415
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, VA
Contact:

23 Feb 2018

hurricane wrote:
23 Feb 2018
Ok Joey, but if you all are just going to write reviews on products you like - what the hell is the point of "reviews"? Those aren't reviews, those are very wordy advertisements. There are tons of shitty refills out there. I'd like to know which ones to stay away from. Same goes with rack extensions and VSTs (yes even though you can trial/demo them). Every time I see a Reasontalk "review" I immediately toss it aside because I know how it's going to go down.

And when are we going to see an article that doesn't look at all things 'Reason' through rose-colored glasses? Here I go bringing up Computer Music Magazine again, but these guys are notorious for giving anything and everything a positive review, but even THEY scored Reason 10 a 7 out of 10! There's real stuff to talk about here - but all we keep seeing from Reasontalk is "Reason 10 is awesome" or "Subscriptions are amazing" or 'this rack extension is great' and 'this refill is fantastic'.
Well I was only stating what inspires me to write reviews. If I'm initiating the writing, I don't have the time and energy to write about something I don't care about. And I think that is the case for most people. But I've only really done a couple reviews. I reviewed GodOfRainbows album (although I called it a 'spotlight') because I think the album is brilliant. And I did a mini review of the kHs 3-Band EQ which I am also a fan of. That said, I think it's most valuable to know what people like about any particular product. If you dislike a device completely, are you going to highlight anything of what it's good for? Otherwise what's the point? What might be something that inspires me personally to write a bad review? A product I'm interested or that I've purchased that is buggy and/or has poor customer service. Otherwise, I don't care.

User avatar
QVprod
Posts: 1846
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Contact:

23 Feb 2018

hurricane wrote:
23 Feb 2018

And when are we going to see an article that doesn't look at all things 'Reason' through rose-colored glasses? Here I go bringing up Computer Music Magazine again, but these guys are notorious for giving anything and everything a positive review, but even THEY scored Reason 10 a 7 out of 10! There's real stuff to talk about here - but all we keep seeing from Reasontalk is "Reason 10 is awesome" or "Subscriptions are amazing" or 'this rack extension is great' and 'this refill is fantastic'.
Actually, the very article you mention, "Why subscriptions is a good thing" includes constructive criticism towards Propellerhead. From the article:
Dear Propellerhead, one thing we need in order to make subscriptions perfect
While we all get back to holding hands on ReasonTalk and get the debate back to a level we all truly enjoy, I just want to say: Well done, Propellerhead. 2017 has quite clearly been a busy year for you, and even though there’s some rough issues here and there, you’ve done well. Right now I really only have one, but important change request for subscriptions (ignoring the general things I’d like to see in Reason beyond that):

Please, please, please change the authorization logic for Rack Extension licenses in a way so that you actually download time limited licenses for the Rack Extensions included in your subscriptions, much like with trials. Except, validate them offline. People should not be bound to the Internet to be creative with the products they actually pay to rent. It’s important that this is available for all user groups, from professionals to hobbyists. Creative beings are sensitive beings. Some of us need to sit in a park, by the lake, or in the forest cabin and be creative without worrying about tethering for Internet connectivity.
There's also a disclaimer that it represents the views of Kenni (the site owner) and not the ReasonTalk team. That aside, what is reasonable is that we include any downsides to products we review. How this is done will vary by the contributor, but If you're looking for us to completely trash products, you'll probably continue to be disappointed. There's a difference between something not being your cup of tea and something not being good.

User avatar
Kenni
Site Admin
Posts: 1184
Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Contact:

23 Feb 2018

My editorial (read: personal article) about subscriptions were written at a time where the forum kind of went beserk over subscriptions. Also, keep in mind that this forum has a lot of regulars and will largely represent more or less the same views on different things Reason. I'm sure my views on subscriptions are shared among the Reason userbase in general. Editorials and the news site in general is not here to cater the forum users only. It's a public site.

It's also unfair to compare us with, say, Computer Music Magazine. After all, those people are on a payroll and new reviews and articles are "just" tasks from a pile. They get paid to do what they do, regardless of their opinion. Focusing more or less only on the Reason user base like we do gives us a rather narrow playing field. We need to create content from something that might not be content. Then, when you actually decide to sit down and write an article (voluntarily, for free), you're less likely to write about a product you don't like. That's also why we don't actually hand out ratings. When we're asked to review something, it's different (and we have that sort of content coming as well).

Finally, the idea that Propellerheads pay us for articles is absurd, even offensive. I'll remember that when Joey, Wongo et al. are busting their ass off at odd hours in the team chat to coordinate articles, tasks and reviewing each others article, in between moderating nonsense comments like this.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 3245
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

23 Feb 2018

I read most articles. I like the interviews with the devs, because that gives me the feeling, that they "care about Reason and their customers".

TBH, i am more interested in tutorials, sound design, tips&tricks to learn new things that help me to make my music better. There were a few questions about specific sounds in the last weeks and i took it as a challenge to improve my sound design skills and to fiddle again with some synths that already got dusty. That all made me think, if there could be more about sound-creation, recreating sounds, beat making, different music types, techniques and all that stuff in a regular fashion, also in form of some high quality articles. I am always looking for something new and not the 100th way of creating a super saw dance lead.
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
Marco Raaphorst
Posts: 1987
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Contact:

23 Feb 2018

It's always hard to be both things, a blog and a forum.

What I in general would love to see is more objective thinking. There's a tendency to see developers as Gods. Having a hard time making money.

We all struggle, which is the most interesting part. Show it out in the open.
Marco Raaphorst

Music & soundware https://melodiefabriek.com.
Check out my new ReFill Rockmen: https://melodiefabriek.com/blog/rockmen ... available/

User avatar
Soft Enerji
Posts: 355
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: East Lismore, NSW Australia

23 Feb 2018

Just for the record, I voted "sometimes". To clarify that I'll say. If a headline grabs me I'll start reading but I don't often finish. Short attention span or something...... Just finding the time for music is hard enough without reading about it :D

Anyhoos, you guys are doing a great job so keep on keepin' on!

EdGrip
Posts: 1204
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

23 Feb 2018

Thoughts at random:
I only tend to read ReasonTalk articles if they're linked from a forum post. This place is primarily a forum to me and bookmarked as such.
That's my fault, rather than the fault of the articles or the writing.

I like to see in-depth interviews with devs about devices. Technical stuff. Geeky stuff.
I totally understand that RE developers are a rare species to be cherished and nurtured, rather than made to fully step over the "what's the point?" threshold and leave to find something else to do instead.
I think that contributes to a sense in my mind that ReasonTalk is very gentle on devs (not that anyone's really made any stinkers - pretty much all my criticism of RE devices comes down to "the GUI could be better and prettier".)

On the other hand, I don't feel that ReasonTalk is unduly gentle on Propellerheads or Reason itself. We've got some well-established feature request threads, and in addition to that half of all threads eventually turn into a laundry list of missing features. It's hardly a taboo subject.
When someone from Props decides to get involved in the forum - even if it's basically in a brief promotional capacity - I think we should treat them respectfully so they're not put off coming here more often. Some software devs have a forum that they are very active in; Props aren't like that and are unlikely to change now.
We don't want their visits here to entirely consist of a crowd of people shouting "WHERE'S MY GHOST LANES AND 4K MATTIAS YOU VERDANE SHILL HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT??".

Reason 10 was a perfectly good release (only a year after Reason 9 and less than a year after VSTs) bringing good stuff that Reason has needed for a while to maintain a good and competitive offer for new starters.
The Ableton Live Standard upgrade price is £160 but if you want the new Wavetable synth in Suite, the upgrade price is £229. Reason upgrade is £89. Perspective.
A few people here need to take a good old-fashioned chill pill. Sometimes it winds me up and I can be a bit snarky, but then you stick your head in GS or KVR and you realise we're doing ok. ^_^
Last edited by EdGrip on 23 Feb 2018, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
syncanonymous
Posts: 336
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: UK and France

23 Feb 2018

I voted no
I very seldom read the Reason Talk articles

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 342
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

23 Feb 2018

Kenni wrote:
23 Feb 2018
I'm sure my views on subscriptions are shared among the Reason userbase in general.
I don't see how you can make this conclusion - unless you are privy to some personally gathered or Propellerhead provided market research? Were you presented with such data?

This is the only real actionable data we have:
Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 9.36.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 9.36.33 AM.png (35.4 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
You handle Devs and Propellerhead with kid gloves (for those of you who don't know what that means: to treat with extreme tact or gentleness). That is very apparent in your "reviews" and articles. And based on the comments in this thread made by others, this favoritism/bias is glaringly obvious, whether it is intentional or not.

The comparison to CM is based purely on scores - you guys hand out figurative "perfect 10s" every single time - as if you were being paid to. And that combined with the way you put Developers and Propellerhead on a pedestal, makes this site look distrustful. Take a look at your most recent "review" - ZFO2 and DYN4: two new devices from Lectric Panda!. Actually read it. This "review" reads like one big positive paid advertisement. It's shady calling this a "review". No cons, all pros. With a convenient "purchase this here" link at the end.

And Kenni - I am highly anticipating reading your "Why Ernst Nathorst-Böös is CEO of The Year" article.

Can't wait.

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 1421
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Location: Oregon

23 Feb 2018

hurricane wrote:
23 Feb 2018
You've got no chill

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 5415
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, VA
Contact:

23 Feb 2018

hurricane wrote:
23 Feb 2018
Take a look at your most recent "review" - ZFO2 and DYN4: two new devices from Lectric Panda!. Actually read it. This "review" reads like one big positive paid advertisement. It's shady calling this a "review". No cons, all pros. With a convenient "purchase this here" link at the end.
It's actually much more an insightful release news article. I'm appreciative the time Wongo put into that one which offers a more in-depth look at the devices and is interspersed with interview questions with the developer. Much more info than offered on the shop pages. And happy it's not a regurgitated press release...which one doesn't exist elsewhere.

User avatar
MikeMcKew
Posts: 156
Joined: 16 Aug 2017
Location: Leesburg, VA
Contact:

23 Feb 2018

I appreciate all these comments. Thank you all for taking the time to share your opinions. I know the Reason community is a passionate one. I also think it's worthwhile to take a step back for a moment. We're all Reason users, and we all want what's best for Reason, Propellerhead, and the community that has been built around them. Of course, we all have slightly different ideas on what's best, and that's okay. That's what places like ReasonTalk are for, in my opinion: to express and share ideas and thoughts.

I also want to clear up something mentioned earlier that pertains directly to me. My article "The Case for Reason 10" was written long before I became a team member at ReasonTalk, and it reflects my views - not those of ReasonTalk staff. I just went back and looked, and it seems that I could have done better by putting a note explaining that in the blurb at the top. I do apologize for that, and I'll keep it mind for future articles. I also want to point out that my article really does reflect my feelings at the time and even to the present. I believe I was clear in stating that I was not overly enthused when Reason 10 was first announced, but I was truly and honestly convinced once I had watched the live streams and used the demo myself. Perhaps others weren't, and that's okay, but this was my experience. The only complaint I had (and again, still do) was in regard to the lack of CV on the back panels of the new devices. I actually expanded on that point in a forum post before I wrote the R10 article. Would I have liked workflow improvements and other updates as well? Of course. And perhaps I should've done a better job expressing that in my article as well.

The last thing I'll say about that is that the article was unsolicited. I was not asked by anyone to write it and I was certainly not paid by anyone for it. I just started putting down thoughts once I reached my own conclusions, and I offered it to the RT team, who said we could publish it.

As for reviews, I echo many of Joey's points. We all do this because we love Reason and the community. This is certainly not a full-time endeavor for me, it's something I do for fun. Do I want to labor over a review (which will include testing a product, forming an opinion, usually making a song using it, creating a video, writing an article, and coordinating a release) for a product that I hate? No. It's unproductive, in my opinion. I consider myself a positive person, and to spend so much time and effort just to tear a product down (which will also have had a lot of time and effort put into development) would not be in my nature. Now, to an extent I do understand the other side of that... if I buy a product and it is buggy, not useful for anything, etc. and I feel strongly enough about it, I will write a review reflecting that. But it would take a lot for me to get to that point.

Anyway, I'm sure I have more to say on the topic, but I've run out of steam for now. Thanks for reading. :) :reason:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel for Reason and other audio production tutorials: YouTube Channel

User avatar
QVprod
Posts: 1846
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Contact:

23 Feb 2018

hurricane wrote:
23 Feb 2018

You handle Devs and Propellerhead with kid gloves (for those of you who don't know what that means: to treat with extreme tact or gentleness). That is very apparent in your "reviews" and articles. And based on the comments in this thread made by others, this favoritism/bias is glaringly obvious, whether it is intentional or not.
Is that referring to Kenni? :lol: There's actually quite a bit that happens behind the scenes that we don't publicize. Trust me , there's no kid gloves. I've personally had a developer upset with me once on a thread, and no I did not change my response. I believe though we treat everyone here with a fair amount of tact...even our critics.
The comparison to CM is based purely on scores - you guys hand out figurative "perfect 10s" every single time - as if you were being paid to. And that combined with the way you put Developers and Propellerhead on a pedestal, makes this site look distrustful. Take a look at your most recent "review" - ZFO2 and DYN4: two new devices from Lectric Panda!. Actually read it. This "review" reads like one big positive paid advertisement. It's shady calling this a "review". No cons, all pros. With a convenient "purchase this here" link at the end.
Despite the category tag, our actual reviews have the word 'review' in the title. The article you mention (as Joey noted) is pretty much a product announcement. Of the very few reviews we've put out, the majority of them were done by Mike before he recently officially joined the team. Our actual most recent review was done by Teflon Tomb https://www.reasontalk.com/2018/02/refi ... nd-design/

I think its also fair to mention this site is called ReasonTalk - which technically makes us kind of a Propellerhead fan site being that their product, Reason, is the sole reason for this site's existence. That's not to say we're in favor of or even support everything they do, but it's highly unlikely you'll see KVR level criticism of them or any other developer in our news section. KVR doesn't even have that, and they're agnostic when it comes to software. It wouldn't be very smart for us to trash the very company our site is based around, and still expect to maintain the relationship we have with them. Besides we already have a few dedicated folks like yourself to list all the cons and drawbacks in our forum threads :puf_wink: .

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 342
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

23 Feb 2018

QVprod wrote:
23 Feb 2018

It wouldn't be very smart for us to trash the very company our site is based around, and still expect to maintain the relationship we have with them.
And THERE is the conflict.

First and foremost, is this a neutral site or what?? You all make it seem like it is. But if it isn't then just come out with it already.

What kind of relationship do you have with them? How is Reasontalk benefiting from this "relationship"? What exactly would you be endangering if you were to be a bit more "balanced"? Propellerhead show up once in a blue moon.I haven't seen any exclusive content from them on this site. What exactly do you stand to lose?

All I would like to see is balance. Is that a ridiculous request?

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests