Maybe a dumb question...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mhertert

20 Feb 2018

I am just returning to Reason after a few versions AFK - what happened to the play button you could use in the patch browser? I can't figure out how to "interview" sounds while making a song without fully loading and then replacing them if it's not right, and it's making me bonkers.

Thanks in advance!

M

Harmen

20 Feb 2018

I think you can,
When you are in patch selection. use de cursor down to scroll through.

mhertert

21 Feb 2018

Harmen wrote:
20 Feb 2018
I think you can,
When you are in patch selection. use de cursor down to scroll through.
Thanks, I figured it out. In the older version you could just scroll through the patch library within the Reason app and it would sound the files. It seems now we have to have a song playing to trigger the sounds and then scrolling through with the cursor works.

I can see why they'd have done this but I found the old format more useful, especially on tracks with more sparsely payed notes...

Thanks for your help. :puf_smile:

MannequinRaces

21 Feb 2018

No song has to be playing... you can use the arrows keys to 'scroll' through them. And make sure in the browser 'auto' is on and the volume is cranked! :) Welcome back to Reason btw. Have fun!

mhertert

23 Feb 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
21 Feb 2018
No song has to be playing... you can use the arrows keys to 'scroll' through them. And make sure in the browser 'auto' is on and the volume is cranked! :) Welcome back to Reason btw. Have fun!
Well in this case I am lost again (and thanks for the welcome back). Neither my keyboard up and down keys produce sound scrolling through, nor do the GUI up and down keys near the bottom of the browser, to the right of the words "Revert" and "Load."

I have no clue what / where the "auto" is in the browser, I see nothing that says that :shock:

Reasonable man

23 Feb 2018

By the arrows i think they mean the arrows next to the 'browse' and 'save' icons on the actual intrument your browising patches or samples on . Cick on the browse button on kong for eg ...wait till it turns orange and use the arrows nest to browse button to navigate up and down through the list. Sometimes on dr octrex for eg you click on the browse button on the dr octorex but it dosnt often bring you to the loop catagory maybe you actually want so you while everything is still orange you have to manually click on 'factory sound bank' find drum loops or instrument loops in 'dr octorex patches' and double click on the first loop you wanna audition . From there you can use the arrows up or down either o keyboard or on the dr octorex intrument.

WongoTheSane

23 Feb 2018

The auto and play buttons are at the bottom of the browser:

auto.JPG
auto.JPG (21.96 KiB) Viewed 2728 times

MannequinRaces

23 Feb 2018

Sorry for the confusion! The OP is asking about patches and I responded with info about browsing samples!

WongoTheSane

23 Feb 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
23 Feb 2018
Sorry for the confusion! The OP is asking about patches and I responded with info about browsing samples!
Damn, so did I! <facepalm>

mhertert

25 Feb 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
23 Feb 2018
By the arrows i think they mean the arrows next to the 'browse' and 'save' icons on the actual intrument your browising patches or samples on . Cick on the browse button on kong for eg ...wait till it turns orange and use the arrows nest to browse button to navigate up and down through the list. Sometimes on dr octrex for eg you click on the browse button on the dr octorex but it dosnt often bring you to the loop catagory maybe you actually want so you while everything is still orange you have to manually click on 'factory sound bank' find drum loops or instrument loops in 'dr octorex patches' and double click on the first loop you wanna audition . From there you can use the arrows up or down either o keyboard or on the dr octorex intrument.
Thanks, but I tried this, too, and no autoplay...

mhertert

25 Feb 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
23 Feb 2018
It's frustrating enough to have a learning curve, imagine realizing I'm such a noob I don't even know how to ask the question properly! I'm not 100% clear on the difference between a patch and a loop, I was referring to the sounds that, for instance, a synth uses. I thought samples were short clips of pre-prepared music that you put into a machine like Dr. Rex.

Realizing I might be confused, I opened a new file and one at a time created one of every device I could make and looked for the autoplay button that WongoTheSane image-referenced for me above - I could get this to appear but only with rx2 files. Otherwise, mine consistently has the same dark grey horizontal bar with the plus button to the left, the word "Revert" in the middle, then "Load," then up and down arrow icons, also the same light grey area below with the file name and type of patch.

I'd appreciate any hints as to wtf is wrong with me, hah!

Thanks again for stretching your brains on this one with me...

MannequinRaces

26 Feb 2018

Nothing is wrong with you. And you did articulate your question correctly to begin with! :) There is no way (that I know of) that you can 'preview' patches without loading them up and trying them out. If you don't like the patch you can also undo the action to go back to the last patch you tried. Unless you are trying out patches for sample heavy combinators then load time shouldn't be much of an issue!

Reasonable man

26 Feb 2018

I bought this Selektor (VST) thingy i while ago thinking it would work in Reason and i could audition kicks and snares etc with an arrow up or down . Unfortuatley it has its own browser so you can only audition your own private samples on your c drive /hardrive or whatever. It can't penetrate reason refills. Whether that's an oversite on abletunes's side or whether thats the restriction of refills im unsure . It is an awesome little device for autioning anything that's NOT in a refill.
If any Re developers could make a device like this that lets you audition contents inside the Reason refill system it would be a best seller for sure. I dont even know if that's possible though.
Here's the video

• Information