Viewing two tracks in the MIDI editor?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
spencer335

19 Feb 2018

I have a freely improvised audio part recorded and I'm trying to overdub some midi pads beneath it.

I can get close by playing along, but I'd like to edit some midi notes to just start at the same time as a peak on the wave form (as visible on the audio track), but whenever I double click on my midi track open the midi editor I can no longer see the audio track. Is there a way to look at two tracks at once while I'm editing?

I don't wish to quantize the audio.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Ahornberg

20 Feb 2018

There's a trick to do that.

You have to convert the audio track to midi.
Then mute this midi clip and place an empty midi clip above it so that the muted clip is hidden.
Then enter the midi clip and you will see the midi notes from the muted clips are grayed out.
edit multiple midi clips in reason.png
edit multiple midi clips in reason.png (24.5 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
There's also a thread in this forum where everything is described in more detail (I think by Selig).

spencer335

20 Feb 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
20 Feb 2018
There's a trick to do that.

Wow - it works! My rubato audio part was complex guitar chord voicings, so the audio-to-midi itself didn't work very well, but I can see the rhythm that I was looking for.

Thanks for your help!

-008'

20 Feb 2018

There's also a thread in this forum where everything is described in more detail (I think by Selig).
was it mine? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7505044

I never needed to do Audio with it, but of course it's great to point out that we can! i will update my article to mention that for sure. :thumbs_up:
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

selig
RE Developer

20 Feb 2018

Ahornberg wrote:There's a trick to do that.

You have to convert the audio track to midi.
Then mute this midi clip and place an empty midi clip above it so that the muted clip is hidden.
Then enter the midi clip and you will see the midi notes from the muted clips are grayed out.
edit multiple midi clips in reason.png
It was -008, not me, and worth checking out for sure.
[ya beat me to it!]

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

antic604

20 Feb 2018

-008' wrote:
20 Feb 2018
was it mine? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7505044

I never needed to do Audio with it, but of course it's great to point out that we can! i will update my article to mention that for sure. :thumbs_up:
Have you contacted Props to implement that "trick" as a native functionality? Since it works already, it would just be a matter of "scripting" the copy / paste / mute and then the reverse actions so that it happens "behind the scenes".

I can't believe - and that's not only in Reason - how many such low-hanging-fruit features DAW developers leave unimplemented :(

• Information