"Live" Ambient / Ambient Techno Performance - how to?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
artotaku

20 Feb 2018

If you want to add send fx devices specific to a mix channel group just group the mix channels, add a Reason stock line mixer device as an insert fx device to the group mix channel and add the fx devices as send fx to the line mixer. That way you are not restricted to the 8 send fx of the main mixer and you can be very specific for a mix group.

For global send fx just just use the sends fx of Reason´s main mixer.

If you want to control the send fx from a midi controller you could assign the 4 generic rotaries and buttons of a mix channel to your midi controllers knobs/faders. In the group mix channel´s programmer assign the rotaries and buttons to the fx devices contained in the group mix channel.

I have no experience with a live performance (other than doing it privately) but a general advice I read often is to start with a setup as simple and controlled as possible to get the confidence. With some experience you can refine it step by step.

BRIGGS

20 Feb 2018

For live, I'd export stems from Reason into Ableton Live. From there you can do more 'Live' stuff like 'on the fly' composition, etc. Reason lacks a performance mode.
r11s

FLVZ

20 Feb 2018

I use the M audio TFP to perform live. Use this video to get yourself set up:

And once you're set up, you should be able to work the TFP live in midi mode. The control bank is fully customisable, which means you can assign a fader/button/knob to a Reason parameter using the right click and "Edit remote override mapping." There are 4 banks of faders buttons and knobs which means you will have access to 16 buttons knobs and faders from which you can control your session live. I tend to use reason in Blocks mode to import my stems, each block has a set of stems for the performance, then in song mode I arrange the order of the performance (with each block housing one song). So I go to the gig with my stuff pre-arranged. I route each track to an output bus which houses effects which I control using different sections of the TFP. I'm a little limited in what I can do because I'm only using (just) the TFP to perform at the minute, but I intend to pick up something like an APC so I can have more control and more complex things happening, as I'll have access to more immediate controls. But at the same time the risk of something going wrong with this kind of set up increases, the more you add things especially being a slave to Reason's transport.

Here's a recent live gig using this set up:

FLVZ

21 Feb 2018

Data_Shrine wrote:
20 Feb 2018
Cool stuff Flavolous :)
Thanks, people some really positive about this style of live performance. Looking forward to developing it :)

BRIGGS

21 Feb 2018

Flavolous wrote:
20 Feb 2018

And once you're set up, you should be able to work the TFP live in midi mode. The control bank is fully customisable, which means you can assign a fader/button/knob to a Reason parameter using the right click and "Edit remote override mapping." There are 4 banks of faders buttons and knobs which means you will have access to 16 buttons knobs and faders from which you can control your session live. I tend to use reason in Blocks mode to import my stems, each block has a set of stems for the performance, then in song mode I arrange the order of the performance (with each block housing one song). So I go to the gig with my stuff pre-arranged. I route each track to an output bus which houses effects which I control using different sections of the TFP. I'm a little limited in what I can do because I'm only using (just) the TFP to perform at the minute, but I intend to pick up something like an APC so I can have more control and more complex things happening, as I'll have access to more immediate controls. But at the same time the risk of something going wrong with this kind of set up increases, the more you add things especially being a slave to Reason's transport.

Good job! I wonder if Props will make things more streamlined in the future. Being able to launch clips/patterns (APC style) Seems like the way to go.
r11s

FLVZ

21 Feb 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
21 Feb 2018
Flavolous wrote:
20 Feb 2018

Good job! I wonder if Props will make things more streamlined in the future. Being able to launch clips/patterns (APC style) Seems like the way to go.
Thanks, this is one of the few things Reason probably still lacks. Control surface integration and innovative live setups, I have a launchpad mk1 which i will probably never use because its such a task to get it working everytime. Serves me right for not buying the latest version, couldn't resist a bargain :lol: :oops:

WeLoveYouToo

21 Feb 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
20 Feb 2018
For live, I'd export stems from Reason into Ableton Live. From there you can do more 'Live' stuff like 'on the fly' composition, etc. Reason lacks a performance mode.
what exactly do you mean? i have been practicing for a live performance with reason synths routed to vsts as the keyboard section, and have never come across any problems with performing, but i also do not use ableton so i have no idea what features could possible improve ability to play live.

BRIGGS

23 Feb 2018

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
21 Feb 2018
BRIGGS wrote:
20 Feb 2018
what exactly do you mean? i have been practicing for a live performance with reason synths routed to vsts as the keyboard section, and have never come across any problems with performing, but i also do not use ableton so i have no idea what features could possible improve ability to play live.
That's Abletons thing... 'live performance'.

Reason doesn't have a session view.

See: https://youtu.be/AIy_2zlXh4I

Most live electronic acts, use Ableton. Also see Daft Punks' setup. Depeche Mode...Dead Mau5....the list goes on.
r11s

FLVZ

23 Feb 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
23 Feb 2018
WeLoveYouToo wrote:
21 Feb 2018

Most live electronic acts, use Ableton. Also see Daft Punks' setup. Depeche Mode...Dead Mau5....the list goes on.
The funny thing is, Reason is not far away from something like this. Imagine a Performance Blocks Mode, where you can important rex loops or exploded blocks from other sessions. Reason already has Remote override to customise controls for triggering clips using hardware, I imagine this would be an almost effortless way to remix other songs or create improvised versions of songs. Writing the code for something like that though I know nothing about!

BRIGGS

23 Feb 2018

Flavolous wrote:
23 Feb 2018
BRIGGS wrote:
23 Feb 2018

The funny thing is, Reason is not far away from something like this. Imagine a Performance Blocks Mode, where you can important rex loops or exploded blocks from other sessions. Reason already has Remote override to customise controls for triggering clips using hardware, I imagine this would be an almost effortless way to remix other songs or create improvised versions of songs. Writing the code for something like that though I know nothing about!
I imagine, Props already have a 'Live Mode' in the works. They're not blind, and they know about this stuff. It just takes them longer, because their own version/spin will likely, be well thought out. Odds are, it will go over very well, and make Reason a top contender in the 'Live' arena.
r11s

Mor1

23 Feb 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
23 Feb 2018
Flavolous wrote:
23 Feb 2018

I imagine, Props already have a 'Live Mode' in the works. They're not blind, and they know about this stuff. It just takes them longer, because their own version/spin will likely, be well thought out. Odds are, it will go over very well, and make Reason a top contender in the 'Live' arena.
I hope there is a'Live Mode'scenario in the works!!If that happens ,making music with Reason will be a whole different experience!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

demt

23 Feb 2018

Resolume avenue links to reason 4 a light show in time
Mind-blowing
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

BRIGGS

23 Feb 2018

Mor1 wrote:
23 Feb 2018
BRIGGS wrote:
23 Feb 2018

I hope there is a'Live Mode'scenario in the works!!If that happens ,making music with Reason will be a whole different experience!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Yeah, I'd be more inclined to play out live if the solution was streamlined. Till then, I'm stuck in the studio, because rewiring Ableton and Reason together is clunky, and uses too many resources.
r11s

Mor1

24 Feb 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
23 Feb 2018
Mor1 wrote:
23 Feb 2018

Yeah, I'd be more inclined to play out live if the solution was streamlined. Till then, I'm stuck in the studio, because rewiring Ableton and Reason together is clunky, and uses too many resources.
I agree :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
I use Ableton from time to time and when i do i always saying how easy and fun is to have different pattern lengths playing in sync with each other,trigger them when you want etc.. Live triggering is always fun!Im sure they will do it!!

BRIGGS

24 Feb 2018

Mor1 wrote:
24 Feb 2018
BRIGGS wrote:
23 Feb 2018

I use Ableton from time to time and when i do i always saying how easy and fun is to have different pattern lengths playing in sync with each other,trigger them when you want etc.. Live triggering is always fun!Im sure they will do it!!
I hope so, I hardly ever used the arrange view in Abletion. Session view, also allows you to 'feel' a songs' arrangement, which can produce different results than just using the timeline. Both methods, working together, have the potential to be a songwriting powerhouse.
r11s

Mor1

24 Feb 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
24 Feb 2018
Mor1 wrote:
24 Feb 2018

I hope so, I hardly ever used the arrange view in Abletion. Session view, also allows you to 'feel' a songs' arrangement, which can produce different results than just using the timeline. Both methods, working together, have the potential to be a songwriting powerhouse.
The non linear sequencing is always a best way to jamming through your ideas!!I used to use this on my hardware sampler.When you have a basic arrangement then you go for the linear sequencing .The point is that your general idea came from ''playing''your patterns live.Its always fun and very powerful to generate different connections with your patterns.
In Reason when i have some ideas i select a clip with the 'p' command and it starts the loop of this section,then i click another clip and doing the same.
With this way i get the filling of the arrangement and where it can go from there..Its not the same but sometimes it helps me discover the next part for my arrangement.

Here its a nice article to read about.
http://tweakheadz.com/sampling-software/
Its where it saying,Time Out: Linear vs. Non-Linear Song Construction
Last edited by Mor1 on 24 Feb 2018, edited 1 time in total.

BRIGGS

24 Feb 2018

Mor1 wrote:
24 Feb 2018
BRIGGS wrote:
24 Feb 2018

The non linear sequencing is always a best way to jamming through your ideas!!I used to use this on my hardware sampler.When you have a basic arrangement then you go for the linear sequencing .The point is that your general idea came from ''playing''your patterns live.Its always fun and very powerful to generate different connections with your patterns.
In Reason when i have some ideas i select a clip with the 'p' command and it starts the loop of this section,then i click another clip and doing the same.
With this way i get the filling of the arrangement and where it can go from there..Its not the same but sometimes it helps me discover the next part for my arrangement.

What's really interesting, is with the nonlinear method the musician can play their song in many more ways that one. Making things exciting if you have to play out a lot.

I get bored easy, and move on quickly. So, that creative energy has to always keep flowing. Otherwise, what's the point?😎
r11s

Mor1

25 Feb 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
24 Feb 2018
Mor1 wrote:
24 Feb 2018

What's really interesting, is with the nonlinear method the musician can play their song in many more ways that one. Making things exciting if you have to play out a lot.

I get bored easy, and move on quickly. So, that creative energy has to always keep flowing. Otherwise, what's the point?😎
Its true.The spontaneously change from a part of a song to an other its the key!
Every pattern goes with everything and nothing is written,
Well i hope they listen... :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :reason:

WeLoveYouToo

26 Feb 2018

oh, i see.
i think i tend to think of live performance in a much more traditional way, as in no loops or anything pre-recorded, so i guess i mainly use reason as a synth/sample player only.
but that looks really cool, it would let me play more "instruments" than the number of people in my band, so i am kinda intrigued now.

BRIGGS

01 Mar 2018

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
26 Feb 2018
oh, i see.
i think i tend to think of live performance in a much more traditional way, as in no loops or anything pre-recorded, so i guess i mainly use reason as a synth/sample player only.
but that looks really cool, it would let me play more "instruments" than the number of people in my band, so i am kinda intrigued now.
Wow, looks like you just had a breakthru!!! Good internet forums have a way of doing that!

Keep reading, keep learning!😆
r11s

• Information