Mix and Mastering Rig 2

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
djs

17 Feb 2018

Has anyone tried using this extension pack and willing to share feedback? The link is below. Im interested in the tutorial videos as I am someone new to mixing and mastering in Reason. Are the devices/videos helpful and worth the price?

https://www.propellerheads.se/reason-ri ... ering-rig2

aeox
Competition Winner

17 Feb 2018

The devices are well worth the money. I can't say for the videos, never watched them.

I paid the full price, but you can wait for a sale when it's half off.

Loque

17 Feb 2018

Price/value is good. Some of those devices get a lot of dust in my rack tbh. Some other devices are not for beginners and you should think if you really need them. If you are new I suggest try it what you have until a sale.
Reason12, Win10

djs

17 Feb 2018

How did you learn how to use the extensions?

djs

17 Feb 2018

Are these the tutorials that are included in Rig 2?

https://ask.video/course/reason-302-mastering-lab

clone

17 Feb 2018

Mix and master is a great stuff.
I bought it she it was on sale. Use them all the time.

Loque

18 Feb 2018

djs wrote:
17 Feb 2018
How did you learn how to use the extensions?
Experimenting and reading... Don't get me wrong, you will have quick results with reverb or compressors, but for the gater and multiband compressor i didn't had much use in that time. That my suggestion to learn what you have and THAN you know what you need. You can build a multiband compressor for free, SSL has a Gater and you already have a bunch of different compressors. If you get the differences of that compressors, you might be ready for more.
Reason12, Win10

dberndt7
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2018

I picked this up during black Friday for 50% off. I'd suggest waiting until it goes on sale, but it's a great deal either way. Maybe more geared for or essential for those recording audio (which I do a lot in reason). I love the Selig devices, especially the leveler. Once I got the hang of that, it's become my default on vocals.. the RE-2A is good on vocals as well. I like the synapse GQ-7 a lot for a more surgical eq.. something I find is my go to when not using the ssl eq. The Softtube FET has a great vintage sound as well (1176).. lot of uses for that, personally just scratching the surface.. Oh and the Ozone Maximizer is great to use the mastering suite.. to replace the mclass maximizer. I started testing some of the verbs and seems like some good alternatives to the RV7000.

Funny, I never figured out how to get the videos.. keep meaning to write props to find out how I'm supposed to access these, but hasn't been a priority. Overall using a lot of this stuff falls into more general mixing concepts. You can learn a lot by reading about mixing, using compressors, eq etc and apply it to a lot of these devices. There are a ton of places to do this online. One I could shout out is the https://www.recordingloungepodcast.com/

All this said if you primarily use reason for synthesis and are getting mixes you are happy with you may not need to go this route... not to say this stuff can't be used with synths though...

dberndt7
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2018

Forgot to mention Polar, which is unlike many of the other bundled items and can do things not easily done with stock reason. It's a great pitch shifter, guitar effect, special effect.. just learning what really can be done with this. It's a great bundle overall, no regrets in purchasing.. I don't use everything yet, but use at least a few on just about every track.

djs

21 Feb 2018

Thanks for the tips! What determines a better EQ or compressor over another? What makes the extensions included in the rig different from the stock modules? There are multiple compressors and eq devices and also inside some of the instruments. When does adding more become redundent?

selig
RE Developer

21 Feb 2018

djs wrote:Thanks for the tips! What determines a better EQ or compressor over another? What makes the extensions included in the rig different from the stock modules? There are multiple compressors and eq devices and also inside some of the instruments. When does adding more become redundent?
What has worked for me…
The “better” EQ/Compressor is the one that works better for the music you make. The differences can be big or small, but again it depends on what you need/want.

When does adding more become redundant? When you already have everything you want/need, and the alternative choices are inferior for your needs.

Extra choices to me means I have more to choose from to build my “quiver” of go-to tools. That does not mean I just keep adding stuff - I often trade out one new tool with one old tool.
[emoji3]

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

rexbrewer

21 Feb 2018

The Selig Audio RE's are worth it alone for the price. The De-esser and the compressor are amazing.

botnotbot

23 Feb 2018

djs wrote:
17 Feb 2018
Are these the tutorials that are included in Rig 2?

https://ask.video/course/reason-302-mastering-lab
Yup. When purchased, Ask.Video coupon codes are available in your PH account. It's the 'Tutorials' tab, IIRC.

The Mix and Mastering videos actually had some cool information. Unfortunately with such short videos, covering something like a synth at anything other than a fly by level is pretty tough. Effects, however, seem to work better in this format. Or maybe it was just the instructor.. Anyway, I can recommend these as not total wastes of time :)

• Information