How can I merge two song files most efficiently?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
calebbrennan

12 Feb 2018

I think the genious of the end of Abbey Road was inspired by the medely format in musicals

they are two minute sections pasted together with finesse

lets say I have 3-4 distinct song files I want to merge.

Is the only way to do it to open both files in seperate windows and drag and drop the midi and audio tracks?
And then step by step recreate the instruments I used in previous versions?

Of course I could mix down each aong file and meld them like the beatles splicing mixs

but if I want to take several 2 min gem songs and merge them into an opus
so I can play with the tempo at the transitions

what would be the most efficient way to do that?

I do have the advantage that the only tracks I want to keep in midi are Drums percusion bass and some synths.

Thanks in advance

normen

12 Feb 2018

Simply Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V the sequencer lanes, that should copy the devices with it.

selig
RE Developer

12 Feb 2018

You can play with tempo even if you’ve already mixed down each song file. If nothing else, it would be much easier to mockup the transitions with two audio files vs ‘x’ amount of audio files per song. You can add instruments to the audio files to smooth the transitions if need be.

This would especially be helpful if you’re going to be merging 3-4 songs in total, as it may be difficult (for both hardware limitations and workflow issues since there is no way to group tracks) to load that many full songs.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

calebbrennan

19 Feb 2018

I like your advice

Selig said:

"You can play with tempo even if you’ve already mixed down each song file. If nothing else, it would be much easier to mockup the transitions with two audio files vs ‘x’ amount of audio files per song. You can add instruments to the audio files to smooth the transitions if need be.

This would especially be helpful if you’re going to be merging 3-4 songs in total, as it may be difficult (for both hardware limitations and workflow issues since there is no way to group tracks) to load that many full songs."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been making a practice of mixing down my synths to audio tracks
It's hard to do
because leaving the endless possibility loop
for commitment
is the challenge

Pretending I have only sixteen tracks forces decisions

Decisions are my friends :

• Information