Making markers for the purpose of adjusting audio segment timing

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
rabid

07 Feb 2018

Hi
I look forward to learning lots from the forum.

I wondered if there was a way to set markers on the sequencer to act as a guide to drag sections of audio around in the pitch editor or slice editor?
I use audio with quite complex timing and when correcting it spend ages struggling to pull it into the right place by using my ears. I also find the more I hear it looping around and around, I easily lose in my mind how it needs to be, I could easily tap out the syllables/hits with my midi keyboard or computer keyboard very accurately. It would be nice to be able to do this and see somewhere in the sequencer these marks and then simply drag the audio sections to match these. It would make for a much slicker, quicker and probably accurate process. It would be using my eyes instead of my ears.
Does such a thing exist? or does anyone have a work-around?
Thanks

Loque

07 Feb 2018

No, there is no definable grid to snap markers, only snap to note grid or disabled snap.

What i often do is, remove all unnecessary rulers and add some where i need them, than i snap them to the position where i want. If it does not fit accurate, i select one ruler and adjust it from the toolbar controls.

Sometimes the stretching works weird, where you cannot really see the accurate position of the ruler within the transients and they seem to move around while dragging or the transients do not snap where i would expect it. Guess this comes from the re-calculation of the stretching and not optimal display of the transients and some specific features of the stretching algorithms. Here is room for optimizations in future releases of Reason.
Reason12, Win10

rabid

07 Feb 2018

Thanks!
I'm somewhat confused by what you have said though, lol.

There is something called the groove mixer. I have never used that, but wonder if you could use that to take the timing from a midi track to an audio track. Just an idea

EpiGenetik

07 Feb 2018

Can you loop the groove? I.e is it a timing that can be repeated throughout the rest of the song?

If yes you can tap it in as MIDI without using the snap, then set your bars to the correct size and fit the clip to the bars, then right-click on the MIDI clip and select "Get Groove From Clip", which then sets it into the first available slot of the Groove Mixer.

At this stage you want to start looking at the manual as there is more to it.

Going the audio route takes longer but works just as well, simply sing/hum what you want, then convert the audio to MIDI, then follow the above instructions :)

Hope this helps
B

rabid

07 Feb 2018

ok,
so just to clarify....
i get say a 16bar loop.
record some singing in an audio track.
then record (without quantise) some midi taps where I want the singing notes to hit.
then I get the groove from the midi taps. and then somehow apply that groove to the audio track?
thanks

• Information