Using MIDI to control a Mix Channel (or other devices)...?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Sus4

05 Feb 2018

I'm attempting to mute/unmute a device's Mix Channel using MIDI control values (sent by a Pure Data patch, in this case), and I'm hoping someone could point out my mistake, at least from the Reason end of things.

I've set up MIDI channel 4 to route to a specific Mix Channel's input, using the Advanced MIDI Device within the Hardware Interface at the top of the rack window.

I looked up the Mix Channel in Reason's MIDI Implementation Chart (PDF), saw that Control #12 corresponds to Mute when sent to a Mix Channel, and have tried sending various control values to it... guessing that either 0 and 1 or 0 and 127 or 1 and 127 would end up controlling mute/unmute, but nothing seems to have any effect.

I know PD and Reason are communicating because I can send notes to synths no problem in the same patch.

What values does the Mix Channel's mute expect? Is there something I'm missing? And if anyone reading this has used PD to do something similar, any pointers would be appreciated since the built-in documentation on the ctlout function is basically nonexistent. (Reason's documentation on MIDI control isn't exactly great either.)

Thanks

JacobiusWrex

06 Feb 2018

I think it's because you are piping midi to the synth device. Not to the mix channel.

You could override map the mute button (easiest)

Or depending how involved your project is you could create two outputs from pure data and create two control surfaces in reason one for mixer stuff one for synth stuff (see retouch control res)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

normen

06 Feb 2018

Yeah, you're over-complicating things.
First add your keyboard as a "generic multichannel midi controller" or "generic multchannel midi keyboard" (in case its not already added in the MIDI devices section). Then just enable control override mapping mode in the Reason menu, click on the mute button and press the button on your control surface.

• Information