Imagine a Hardware version of reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jimmyklane

19 Jun 2018

Suggested instruments:

Akai S950=NN-19
Akai S6000=NN-XT
Oberheim OB-12=Subtractor
Waldorf Blofeld=Malstrom
(1part of) Access Virus=Thor
Tasty Chips GR-1=Grain
Exodus Digital Valkyrie=Europa
Akai MPC4000=Kong
Korg Electribe=RedRum
Elektron Octatrack=Dr. OctoREX

These will obviously sound different, and there are some cases where the hardware is overkill, or Reason will have a feature I can’t think of in a hardware synth. Let move on to the effects units! (I’m not basing off of sound, but off of functionality and purpose)

Suggested Effects:

Strymon ElCapistan/Timeline=The Echo
Sony R7/DRE-S777= RV7000mkII
Neve Portico II MBP plus Pendulum Audio PL-2= MClass Processors
Tape Machine, old computer, cheap digital camcorder, VCR with blank video generator, consumer turntable, and various stomp box style audio oddities= Audiomatic Retro Transformer (don’t have a great way to replace this in hardware without a fair sized 500-Series rack or a bunch of old junk to color the sound)
Various Guitar Amps, mics and preamps=Softube Amps (You’d need quite a few here)
Something similar to the equipment for Audiomatic, perhaps a little more lo-fi=Scream4
Roland VP330 or Korg MicroKorg=BV512 Vocoder
Antares AVP-1=Neptune Pitch Adjuster

Then there are the half-racks (think Art, Alesis, etc, perhaps more low-budget?) the utility modules, the Mixers (14:2 & 6:2) all of which you’d probably need to sum all of your new keyboards, effects, and processors down to something manageable. Please feel free to correct me with your own suggestions or comments on the (completely arbitrary) list of synths, samplers, and effects I’ve chosen!
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

Matt van K

19 Jun 2018

When i start with EM i build a little Rack inspired from Reason. Cool little toys like the Spectral Audio Neptune2 or Xone VF1Spectralis, Rack FX inside but i don´t want this time back and like the possiblities of computer based music these days.
I agree to fieldframe. Don´t use to much Controller. The last AKAI and Propellerheads tutorial are good lessons in working with modern hardware.

amcjen

19 Jun 2018

Where’s Pulverizer? A Distressor maybe?

fieldframe
RE Developer

19 Jun 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
19 Jun 2018
fieldframe wrote:
06 Feb 2018

That's very interesting; I had no idea the hover-to-control pattern had been implemented in shipping products. I'll have to look into both of those.

That said, these are clearly based around what is essentially a hack - emulating the mouse, which requires having to toggle between control types, and can cause the mouse stuttering mentioned in the review. The ideal solution would be some kind of native integration.

My (quite reasonable, I think!) dream would be for Propellerhead to work with their neighbors Teenage Engineering to integrate TE's Ortho Remote (https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/orthoremote) with Reason. So you'd have native, high-resolution, hover-to-control functionality in Reason, with hardware that already exists and costs less than $100!
I'm just looking into buying a good usb audiointerface and been comparing the audient id4 with the scarlet solo and 2i2. The mouse emulation sound compelling. Does it really work with reason? Still don't know whether I need the 2i2 or iD4 or the solo is sufficient, but thats OT here.
As I understand it, it's literally just running a virtual mouse driver and sending drag-up and drag-down (or drag left and right if you toggle it) motions to the virtual mouse when you turn the wheel. So I don't see any reason it wouldn't work automatically with Reason.

jlgrimes

20 Jun 2018

Pajor Hill wrote:
05 Feb 2018
Something like a arturia origin mixed with a mpc /maschine interface?

I can dream until then
It will cost ya.

That said I wonder if the Subtractor came out in the 1970s in hardware form, it would probably be an all time classic.

jlgrimes

20 Jun 2018

joeyluck wrote:
05 Feb 2018
I remember the Open Labs keyboards being somewhat appealing for this concept. Before I realized that a laptop and a portable MIDI controller would give me what I wanted.

So are you imagining a keyboard with all of Reason built-in? Or just something with it's synths built-in?
The Open labs thing is kind of nice in that it is a self contained unit.

The problem is that they can get obsolete pretty fast and they weren't cheap.

I'm looking for a laptop solution for my live keyboard playing using an Akai Advance.

Problem is you need keyboard stand + laptop stand+audio interface stand.

Re8et
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2018

fieldframe wrote:
06 Feb 2018

My (quite reasonable, I think!) dream would be for Propellerhead to work with their neighbors Teenage Engineering to integrate TE's Ortho Remote (https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/orthoremote) with Reason. So you'd have native, high-resolution, hover-to-control functionality in Reason, with hardware that already exists and costs less than $100!

:puf_smile:
re1.jpg
re1.jpg (764.54 KiB) Viewed 708 times

Teenage is nice, Arturia, also,
OP-1 is the best candidate for Reason-hardware, having that interfaceable with your Reason, on your pc or mac, would be breakthrough, just a VST controller for the OP-1 would be breakthrough, I don't know where is the OP-Z leading to, but my guess it's still pretty standalone unit.
Last edited by Re8et on 17 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.

jlgrimes

15 Jul 2018

sdst wrote:
19 Jun 2018
Imagine a Hardware version of reason?
I was kind of thinking similar. It would look cool but be kind of impractical taking up a room.

Also most Reason native devices are monotimbral, meaning you would definitely need multiple Reason devices taking up even more space.

On the plus side, you would get a decent workout moving around going behind Racks to wire stuff up.

• Information