POLL: How much would you pay for Mobile Reason? (and what would you like to see/or not see implemented?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

How much for mobile Reason?

1 - up to 19.99
8%
2 --20 - 24.99
2%
3 - 25 -29.99
7%
4 - 30 - 39.99
4%
5 - 40 - 49.99
5%
6 - over 50
8%
7 - not remotely interested
65%

Total votes: 167
scratchnsnifff

03 Feb 2018

I would seriously pay 100-200 for an updated combinator
50 for a grain or malstrom oscillator in Thor
75 for my suggestions in Europa

And other features I’d pay an update price XD
These mentioned features are features I’m dying to have especially the combinator! Also iv been messing with Thor a lot lately so the new oscillator types would be lovely :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

joeyluck

04 Feb 2018

I would definitely consider it. I'm already very mobile and happy with my MacBook Air. Maybe mobile Reason could sway me into finally purchasing an iPad?

If I can start Reason ideas on an iPad and pick them up on my laptop or a desktop computer, I only see it's existence as a plus. Could probably even finish them on the iPad.

If it can have an interface as attractive as the Thor app, when switching between instruments in full screen, that would be very inviting I think.
It could breathe new life into some classic devices like Subtractor and Redrum. And it would be lovely to see Europa and Grain and all the other Reason devices in that format. It would definitely be fun and very handy.

If there is a mobile Reason, it's likely that yes it would be for iPad. So an even better pole might be one that is posed to owners of iPads.
If you're a Reason user, and you already have an iPad, what is the likelihood you would pick up Reason mobile? If I already had an iPad, it would be a no brainer for me.

uncle

04 Feb 2018

I’m definitely for it. I have an iPad Pro 12.9 inch (loving it) and I also have reason 9.5 Mac version(yet to upgrade to 10). Garageband already have it so y not Reason. Especially if you can transfer all data to the Mac version as you can with GarageBand. I also have the Thor for iPad and it’s great. I even have the rsTouch but that doesn’t really give the flexibility I want as you still have to be in the same vicinity as the main DAW. Anyway, PROPELLERHEAD, GO FOR IT.. How much would I pay? Not sure.. I would prefer a huge discount for already existing reason users(possibly $0) but I think about $25 is fair..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Psuper

04 Feb 2018

That's just another reason not to look to mobile - Propellerhead would develop for Apple and leave the other half of Android users in the dust. However most users of Reason wouldn't even want it on Mobile, likely be highly pissed and rightfully so that Propellerhead wasted their meager resources on something that a large majority has no interest in.

Would Propellerhead make some money on it? Probably. What will definitely happen however is their core base will feel even more abandoned and disregarded, and the end result will be fully disastrous for Propellerhead.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

joeyluck

04 Feb 2018

Psuper wrote:
04 Feb 2018
That's just another reason not to look to mobile - Propellerhead would develop for Apple and leave the other half of Android users in the dust. However most users of Reason wouldn't even want it on Mobile, likely be highly pissed and rightfully so that Propellerhead wasted their meager resources on something that a large majority has no interest in.

Would Propellerhead make some money on it? Probably. What will definitely happen however is their core base will feel even more abandoned and disregarded, and the end result will be fully disastrous for Propellerhead.
Unless...they can deliver an awesome update all at the same time. Then there might not be as much of this argument?

Psuper

04 Feb 2018

joeyluck wrote:
04 Feb 2018
Psuper wrote:
04 Feb 2018

Unless...they can deliver an awesome update all at the same time. Then there might not be as much of this argument?
Oh we're in agreement there!
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

dioxide

04 Feb 2018

I'm not sure I would use it. Perhaps in a live environment as currently I use two laptops, but also an iPad probably isn't going to have the CPU power I need for one song unless I'm creating something that is designed to be played from an iPad.

Laptops are already mobile. The 'mobile' revolution was more about having internet coverage outside of the house, allowing you to do things you couldn't do before. I've been gigging with a laptop since 2001 and the only difference an iPad would make is that my bag would be lighter. That and I would be more limited as to what I can do due to the lower CPU power.

There is no reason that I would need internet connection when I take Reason on a laptop out of the house. So in this case you have to think of Reason on a tablet as being 'portable' rather than 'mobile' as laptops are already mobile enough. Perhaps the only real advantage is multitouch?

stratatonic

04 Feb 2018

JRJulius wrote:
02 Feb 2018

I would also settle for MIDI Out from Thor iOS. It’s a really good touchscreen keyboard.
You can install the musicIO app, plug in a USB cable from iPad to computer, and have iOS Thor keyboard play Reason stuff.
There may be other MIDI transfer apps, but it had a good intro price, so I grabbed it and it's all I'm aware of.

stratatonic

04 Feb 2018

A bunch of people want to pay over 50.

I suspect some Prop employees have voted here lol. :lol:

joeyluck

04 Feb 2018

stratatonic wrote:
04 Feb 2018
A bunch of people want to pay over 50.

I suspect some Prop employees have voted here lol. :lol:
Well the question is how much would you pay, not how much you want to pay. Of course everybody would want to pay less for anything they buy. What they would pay is different.

How much would I pay for MPE/multitimbral support in Reason? The price of an upgrade. How much do I want to pay? Well, I'd love to see it in a free update :)

soroc sosta

04 Feb 2018

There is a mobile app that feels & functions in a similar fashion as Reason called Caustic, I paid $20 for it.

It's a wonder why Props and that developer could not collaborate...

Caustic is a solid and full functioning composition app, my only gripe is the latency :-\

Pralijah

05 Feb 2018

Personally have not invested in an iPad yet and too old phone. But I am not totally against PH broadening their user base and workflow possibility.
A limited PH type of Garage band, why not?

Those invested in Surface pro microsoft windows range, already can use Reason on them, but better alternative touch layout to switch between, might be good and touch screen will sooner or later probably also come to iMac or macbook pro and desktops. But a sophisticated but stripped down version for iPad etc, could be handy as first step I guess, with a good solid integration with Reason on ordinary computers. Maybe it can somehow also benefit us who are still mostly interested in better layout and workflow for "normal" laptops and desktops.
Make music shake again!

EdGrip

05 Feb 2018

Though I don't want to make this thread sound more of a Debbie Downer than it already is, I voted not interested.

My laptop is mobile enough for messing about at friends' houses, and whenever I try a music-y drum-machine-y app on my phone, it's just sadness.

I can't imagine me getting a tablet. There's just not a niche to fill between my laptop and my phone.

nickb523
RE Developer

05 Feb 2018

Not something i would be interested personally. However i could see a cut down version of Reason in the style of Caustic or Korg's Gadget being appealing to some folks.

JRJulius

05 Feb 2018

stratatonic wrote:
04 Feb 2018
JRJulius wrote:
02 Feb 2018

I would also settle for MIDI Out from Thor iOS. It’s a really good touchscreen keyboard.
You can install the musicIO app, plug in a USB cable from iPad to computer, and have iOS Thor keyboard play Reason stuff.
There may be other MIDI transfer apps, but it had a good intro price, so I grabbed it and it's all I'm aware of.
Interesting, this actually works super well. I loaded Thor in AUM and sure enough its keyboard was available in the MIDI routing matrix. Thanks for the tip!

Edit: just as an FYI, with AUM you can send data over USB, network MIDI, or Bluetooth (depending on your latency tolerance). It’s super easy to set up and, while it looks like iOS Thor’s knobs don’t send MIDI data, the in-app keyboard is highly configurable and offers nice-to-have features like scale collapse and strum/pluck support. If you can handle touchscreen keyboards, this is a very decent combination indeed. I’m going to mess around a few minutes more and see if I can get the knobs to send MIDI as well.

splangie

05 Feb 2018

Maybe they can get with HP and ask get them to restart their Touchpad project just for Mobile Reason and squander another 2 billion and maybe a tiny little itsy bitsy particle accelerator while they are at it. And the Cloverfield Paradox was a sappy disappointment, don't bother.

EnochLight

05 Feb 2018

I would use the shit out of a proper mobile version of Reason, and it's long overdue. There's over 1 billion active iOS users out there as of last year, and close to 100 million iPad were sold in the past 12 months alone. There's absolutely a market for it, and it's one that Propellerhead have been absent from since the iPad appeared in 2010.

FL Studio has a mobile app. Studio One has a mobile remote app. Cubase has a mobile app (Cubasis is awesome, BTW). Of course, Apple has Garage Band for iOS. Rack Extensions are platform agnostic, so there is literally NOTHING that devs would have to do - assuming Reason runs on iOS, we'd have access to all of our RE's as well, which is pretty bad ass. Even if it's a scaled-down "Reason light" (which is what Cubasis is), if we can run RE's, that would make up for it.

I watch my daughter and all of her friends - they are all glued to their mobile devices. These are the customers of today and tomorrow, and Propellerhead would be remiss to ignore the market.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EpiGenetik

05 Feb 2018

Can't make any comment on what I'd be willing to pay without having a full list of the features, and confirmation of whether or not my sizeable collection of RE's would be legitimate in that environment. If it was available to existing Reason users for £50, with non-Reason users getting it for £150, I'd be happy enough, I guess, but I would want it to be a very high standard version of Reason in order to give it my cash.

ltbrunt00

06 Feb 2018

I would only be interested with this if I could run it on any Android type tablet like Amazon fire or Samsung galaxy. They have cheaper tablets that are rock solid.

I am not willing to spend $500 for any tablet device then pay a fortune for a scaled down version of a product which may be locked to one expensive platform.

I would love to use a Reason companion interface tool that would use a tablet as an controller for reason. Sort of like Studio one or Fruity loops. Or a reason virtual controller like the Ableton push.

Would there Rack Extension streaming to this device? What about VST's on this device? VST library sizes can be up to 100GB.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

ltbrunt00

06 Feb 2018

Then again, Mobile....Like others pointed out you can get a decent laptop for a fair prices these days and run full blown reason.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

stratatonic

06 Feb 2018

chaosroyale wrote:
02 Feb 2018
I already HAVE "Mobile Reason" AKA Reason installed on an ultraportable PC/tablet.
I'm guessing Reason things look mighty cramped on your ultra.

Here is the default resolution of an 11.6" laptop vs 10.5" iPad for Thor.
iOS vs THOR default.jpg
iOS vs THOR default.jpg (620.94 KiB) Viewed 3924 times

And Thor to fit screen
iOS vs THOR fit screen.jpg
iOS vs THOR fit screen.jpg (606.93 KiB) Viewed 3924 times

I

stratatonic

06 Feb 2018

Psuper wrote:
03 Feb 2018
Mobile *anything* sounds cool in concept, but fails miserably if you aim to actually get something done. Talto polish it upking on the phone, sending txt messages, pissing around with a game or watching vids is one thing, trying to actually compose is another and it doesn't matter what kind of mobile device you're using, nor where. Its simply far inferior in almost every way that gets shoveled aside quite quickly after the novelty wears off.
I can finish a basic tune in Garageband for iOS, but in the end, yeah, it Is somewhat limited, and with the limited feature set, you are forced to finish off in Logic if you really want to polish it up.

But it is not difficult to Airdrop project files to computer, or USB the GB file to computer, or even send to cloud to computer to finish off.

It should be possible to finish off a Reason project on an iPad, but Propellerhead would need to make it easy to bring that project into your desktop version if you want to tweak it, (and also export wav/mp3 files out elsewhere to another DAW - mobile or desktop.)

A lot of stuff I did in Reason 5 was all in the box with no additional external interfaces needed. I got quite a bit accomplished. With the extra Keyboard input options ala iOS Thor available on touch screen, Reason mobile could be pretty cool. Of course, it all depends on how well Propellerhead pulls it off. And hopefully, any refinements/optimizations go right into the desktop version as well.

Oquasec

06 Feb 2018

Reason is not java. They did that because ios is C or something and not the java based android platform (I think)
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

chimp_spanner

07 Feb 2018

I'm on the fence. I've spent a lot of time (and money) on the iPad as a music platform. I thought I'd be able to use it as a truly mobile studio, but app switching is still a nightmare, true multi-tasking still feels impossible (especially since they ruined split screen mode in the last update) and the lack of a proper file system makes working with even a single file between programs almost impossible. I remember once trying to save a WAV file from freesound.org onto my iPad to use in a drum sampler in Gadget. 45 minutes I spent on it before I gave up and realised that I could've done the same thing in about 10 seconds on my laptop. These days I use the iPad like a piece of hardware. It runs its own audio interface for MIDI and Audio I/O with my laptop's interface and then I sample individual sounds or beats directly into Reason. As a writing and recording environment...can't say I've managed to do a damn thing with it.

Now....while this all sounds pretty negative, it's actually the strongest case for Reason on iOS. Because it'd be the single most comprehensive and powerful package out there. Every app seems to have "bits" that I like. Garageband has some cool "smart" instruments but the FX section sucks and I don't like the sequencer. Cubasis has a decent sequencer but awful built in instruments and file management. Gadget has great instruments but a lousy sequencer. And the only way to incorporate all the bits you do like into one project is to use something like Audiobus or AUM, which in itself presents even more problems, getting apps to state-save and sync properly. If PH were somehow able to give us just the current core set of instruments and effects (and if they can do that, surely RE wouldn't be impossible) then it'd render every other app I own pretty much useless, because there's just no other way to get audio and MIDI talking between multiple apps as easily as using it all inside one.

So that's kinda where I am. My negative experience of iOS music making basically boils down to the fact that there just isn't anything as good as Reason on it. If I could start an idea on the sofa or the train or in bed, press a button and have that project sent over to Reason 10 for later...yo sign me up!

antic604

07 Feb 2018

Doing Reason for mobile devices would mean the whole UI needs to be reworked (like Thor above). As is, all the knobs, buttons and sliders even blown up to full screen are too close to each other. Also the sequencer would need a whole dedicated system to input and edit MIDI, audio and automation.

Considering how eager and willing Props have been to update the UI for desktop Reason, I wouldn't count on it. Unless they want to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and that's an interesting thought. I imagine it's quite possible to design a hybrid bitmap-vector UI, that (obviously) scales to size and also can define spacing between elements, dynamically creating tabs/pages for finer control. That's a huge undertaking, but one that would make sense going forward (and would explain lack of UI updates so far).

• Information