Best piano for Reason ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
reason.fan

31 Jan 2018

Hye
i'm still in version 9.5 for the moment, so, i don't have radical piano.
However, what i could have heard by the past is...humm, not very very good.
What's the best piano for you, in Reason ?
The Pianotec vsti is often describe as a good product, is it worth the price ?
Thanks

Oquasec

31 Jan 2018

Anything. Nothing specific. Had the radical RE since Reason 8 I think. Still usin it to this day.
(If you don't feel like bein lazy, use rewire or midi ox with a loopback interface to get external plugins)
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

stratatonic

31 Jan 2018

reason.fan wrote:
31 Jan 2018

The Pianotec vsti is often describe as a good product, is it worth the price ?
Thanks
Well, I think it sounds pretty good. Only you can determine if it is worth the price. I think it does get discounted 30% here and there.

https://www.pianoteq.com/try

QVprod

31 Jan 2018

The question no longer has to be "in Reason" as Reason can use anything now. Agreed that Radical piano isn't very good. Pianoteq is considerably better. I have Piano V2 which is pretty nice sounding but Itend to stick with sampled pianos as they still sound better (to my ears) and have less of a cpu hit. Most times I'm using Addictive Keys grand.

Psuper

31 Jan 2018

I'm vocal about Pianoteq, would never use another piano and that's pretty much all I record.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Noplan
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2018

The best Piano in Reason is for me the NN-XT default patch "B Grand Piano 1.0." Don`t like the Reason Piano Refill and I don`t like Radical Piano.

selig
RE Developer

31 Jan 2018

Unless I need a real piano, I’m gonna go rogue and say my favorite grand piano in Reason is ID8, which is taken from Reason Pianos. I have a few personal samples of upright pianos I use when I want a “less than grand” sound.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

EdGrip

31 Jan 2018

Pianoteq is super inspiring.
There's no way I can justify the price tag, but I enjoy playing around with the demo. Give it a try. If you're a pianist it's probably the best there is, short of recording a real piano.
I bought Radical Piano on sale ages ago, and I have no strong feelings about it.

Psuper

31 Jan 2018

As Ed said, the price can be daunting . Especially if you are used to buying a new sampled piano everytime one comes out comparatively. However I haven't paid for any pianos for about 8 years, and never will again.

You only need the Pro ($500) so you can fully work the modeling backend (which is absolutely overwhelming yet undeniably impressive - nothing out there like it). The sample packs are just adjustments of that engine and shows how immensely powerful it is with the variety of convincing sounds it produces. Just pick the 2 packs you think you'll use the most and you're good to go.

They don't screw you on upgrades either - you typically get an incredible new model with the engine updates for about $40 for each major update. Believe me, Moddarts $40 update is worth 5x a Propellerhead $130 update if you prefer piano instruments, or modeling instruments in general.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Ottostrom

31 Jan 2018

The pianos which have worked out the best for me personally are from the Home Piano Premium refill by Sonic Flavours. They are great if you are looking for something that sounds very rough and beat-up :)

aeox
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2018

I use a reason stock piano, it sounds great.

sdst
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2018

physically modelled instruments is the future

the days of sample instruments are numbered, 12 gigas for a flute, no thanks

I would go with pianoteq

reason.fan

31 Jan 2018

Thanks everybody for your comments.
well, i just have downloaded pianotec and i will try it next week with a normal keyboard (i only have my reloop keypad here in holidays).
But it sounds good and i think the Little Stage version à 99 euros, will be enought for me.
I play live with a band and i just want to have good presets, rapidly.
So it seems i don't need to upgrade to reason 10 for the moment :-)
maybe there will be a discount price for old owner one day :-)

paulred67

31 Jan 2018

Since I've bought Pianoteq, I never looked back. But that's only my personal taste. On the other hand, I quite liked Radical Piano before VST support in Reason.
Studio One 6, Melodyne 5 Studio, Nord Stage, Roland RD-88, VR-730, Jupiter-Xm, JD-08, Arturia V Collection X, Pigments 5, Korg Collection 3, East West Cloud, Sampletank 4, Miroslav Philharmonic 2, Syntronik, Sampletron, Hammond B-3X, Blue 3, Pianoteq.

Oquasec

31 Jan 2018

There's a hundred piano plugins out so I'm not gonna bother suggesting a few, since everything has it's use.
Try everything you can
Producer/Programmer.

16BitBear

01 Feb 2018

Another one here for Pianoteq. I have used sampled pianos since the old Emu hardware sample days. Sure, I have had some great libraries over the years. But once I discovered Pianoteq, I am simply done with sample libraries. I started with the Stage version, bought expansion packs (love the vintage Piano fortes!), and during a sales deal last year, upgraded quite reasonably to pro.

I also love its footprint and that I can run it on Linux. I have an older Korg SP stage piano. It has great hammer action keys but the sounds are rather meh. With an old Chromebook running Linux, a small Behringer USB audio/midi device, a set of speakers, and Pianoteq running, it is a joy again to practice at home. :)

ltbrunt00

03 Feb 2018

E instruments Grand piano is nice but some what of a resource hog. I always start off using Reason Radical Pinao RE or Reason Piano refill then decide later if one of the many VST Pianos would sound better. Almost always if the piano is buried behind other instruments I stick with the Radical Piano. It seems that if it sounds good to you go with it.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

sleep1979

09 Apr 2019

selig wrote:
31 Jan 2018
Unless I need a real piano, I’m gonna go rogue and say my favorite grand piano in Reason is ID8, which is taken from Reason Pianos. I have a few personal samples of upright pianos I use when I want a “less than grand” sound.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
but how do you get any sustain on the id8 when you dont use a pedal ? playing i mean like a release knob

sleep1979

09 Apr 2019

Noplan wrote:
31 Jan 2018
The best Piano in Reason is for me the NN-XT default patch "B Grand Piano 1.0." Don`t like the Reason Piano Refill and I don`t like Radical Piano.
interesting im not much of a piano player that one sounds a bit soft but not bad actually

Oquasec

09 Apr 2019

All the refills are good.
Every refill. Get as many. Collect many refill.
Producer/Programmer.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2019

I just layer two. Arturias modeled piano is nice for layering stuff in tight mixes, then add some bright knock to get the hits to come trough (unless you want the old Korg M1 twang, then use that). This stuff is quite different from trying to sound natural though since you need to thin it out and get the hits to be a bit more metallic. But hey some guys love the old MKS-20 still, and I've played with the idea to mod mine with extra inputs just to get external sounds through its EQ and Dim D, but then, feel bad about drilling up a classic Roland...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

boingy

10 Apr 2019

Unless you are making solo piano music or really sparse piano/vocal tracks in the style of that Adele hit the best piano is probably not the one that sounds most impressive when you audition it. You'll end up EQ-ing half of it out to make it sit in the mix.

The stock piano sounds in Reason are spot on for most stuff and I usually end up with an upright piano rather than a grand, because it cuts through other sounds better and doesn't swamp the mix with "richness". But there are no rules. If it fits then use it.

mashers

10 Apr 2019

Out of interest, what is it about Radical Piano that people don't like? I've used it several times and I think it sounds lovely, so I'm curious as to why people don't like it.

reddust

10 Apr 2019

These are the ones I'm using:

these first ones have very nice sounds, but they are expensive as they also require the full version of kontakt or you'l need to do a lot of work on NN-XT to get them working:
http://www.imperfectsamples.com

And these are more affordable and do a good job too:
https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addictive_keys

Heigen5

10 Apr 2019

Radical Piano can sound good in some cases, but I know what people mean, when they want something that sounds more natural or kind of "right". I did about 15 patches for Radical Piano, by trying to find convincing settings for it. Remember that all the patches inside the Refills usually introduce a "model" sound and almost always need to be tweaked a bit.

• Information