Crackling sound in Reason 10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kd24

30 Jan 2018

I'm hearing a crackling distorted sound every time I play or play back a note in Reason, whether it's through my MIDI keyboard or through the onscreen keyboard. Also happens when I play back loops. I've tried restarting, changing the buffer size, switching to regular headphones through my computer rather than through my audio interface (in which case I can't hear anything).. not sure what else to do. DSP is fine.

I'm using an AKAI MPK88 into Reason 10, monitoring through a UMC404HD using ASIO4ALL. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

antic604

31 Jan 2018

kd24 wrote:
30 Jan 2018
I'm hearing a crackling distorted sound every time I play or play back a note in Reason, whether it's through my MIDI keyboard or through the onscreen keyboard. Also happens when I play back loops. I've tried restarting, changing the buffer size, switching to regular headphones through my computer rather than through my audio interface (in which case I can't hear anything).. not sure what else to do. DSP is fine.

I'm using an AKAI MPK88 into Reason 10, monitoring through a UMC404HD using ASIO4ALL. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I'm assuming other sound sources - youtube, spotify, other DAWs in particular? - play fine? I'm also assuming you've checked the cables / connections?

Could you post a screenshot of your audio settings in Reason and Asio4All panel?

normen

31 Jan 2018

Can you record the crackling so we can take a listen?

chimp_spanner

31 Jan 2018

Any reason you're using ASIO4ALL? Does it not have its own audio driver? That'd be the most likely culprit. You should also be able to get sound using your laptop's built in soundcard for testing. Just make sure you've selected either the DX or MME drivers. ASIO4ALL doesn't always play nicely with on-board sound (or you might just have to configure it to use its outputs). What are your system specs and what version of Reason?

Oquasec

31 Jan 2018

use these:
Asio4all
MME
Or asio interface drivers.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Ixus

31 Jan 2018

I also get crackles sometimes. Just now in fact! I often load up a song file to play guitar through Reason with my Helix and its not unusual to get cracks, so much that its very annoying. Its a simple fix for me though, I just restart Reason and its gone. Wierd!

Im on 10 aswell

MichaelMcGaha

06 Nov 2018

Ixus wrote:
31 Jan 2018
I also get crackles sometimes. Just now in fact! I often load up a song file to play guitar through Reason with my Helix and its not unusual to get cracks, so much that its very annoying. Its a simple fix for me though, I just restart Reason and its gone. Wierd!

Im on 10 aswell
I've been fighting something similar ever since the upgrade to 10. I can play audio through ASIO4ALL for a bit (whether I am recording or just monitoring) and after a couple of minutes It starts crackling so bad it's unusable. I can open the ASIO4ALL control panel and change anything on it and it immediately quits crackling.... for a few minutes.... then it starts again. I have literally been trying to figure this out for months. My details are...

Alienware 17R4 (i7-7700HQ @ 2.8GHz) & 32GB

I have tried the following, all with the same results.
Audio through a Blue Snowball
Audio through a Blue Yeti
Audio through a Shure BLX24 plugged into a Mackie ProFX12v2
Guitar through the Mackie ProFX12v2
and
Guitar through a cheap single channel USB interface.

They all act the same way. a few minutes of good sound, then cracking like crazy. The weird part is the cracking does not get recorded into the track if I'm recording... it just makes it REALLY hard to hear what you are recording.

I've tried so many combinations of settings in the ASIO4ALL control panel (which is the latest version) that I think I've covered them all.

I'm stumped. If this is what you are experiencing, I'll let you know if I figure it out. If not, I think I'll start a new thread.

:puf_smile: Michael

Ad0

07 Nov 2018

Try switching off multicore processing. Did it for me. Seems to be happening with either Windows 10 October update or Reason 9.2

demt

07 Nov 2018

Increase buffer size fixes mine there again so does a hit of crack cocaine
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Ad0

03 Dec 2018

Issue was resolved with fixing a bad state in the graphics card

GRB

03 Dec 2018

Ad0 wrote:
07 Nov 2018
Try switching off multicore processing. Did it for me. Seems to be happening with either Windows 10 October update or Reason 9.2
Hi Ad0, you turned off clicks disabling multicore processing... but this doesnt means at the same time you also lose performance not using multicore processing?

I remember to have this turned on, as soon as I came home I'll try it tio see what happens with de DSP meter.

Is this a reported bug? :|
R12 12.2d36 / Reason+ / R11 Suite - Win10 64bit HP i7 - 32Gb RAM - SSD / Scarlett 2i4 / Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 / Nektar Impact LX61+ / JBL 305 MKII

Ad0

03 Dec 2018

GRB wrote:
03 Dec 2018
Ad0 wrote:
07 Nov 2018
Hi Ad0, you turned off clicks disabling multicore processing... but this doesnt means at the same time you also lose performance not using multicore processing?

I remember to have this turned on, as soon as I came home I'll try it tio see what happens with de DSP meter.

Is this a reported bug? :|
It depends. When plugins are spread across cores, there is overhead in synchronizing the cores. This can be further delayed with crappy drivers interfering and want their share. That's why my problems were amplified because it added to the latency caused by the graphics driver.

MichaelMcGaha

13 Jan 2019

Ok... we have purchased a Behringer X18 and it also does the crackling. The only thing I haven't changed is the onboard sound, for obvious reasons. Do you think trying an external sound card would make a difference?

I am going to install Ableton (which I really don't want to use) just to see if it does the same thing. It is very irritating to sink this much money into something and not be able to use it because of this type of annoying problem.

Ad0

21 Feb 2019

I got the clicks and pops back sadly. I will investigate it. But it seems to be nvidia again...

guitfnky

21 Feb 2019

Ad0 wrote:
21 Feb 2019
I got the clicks and pops back sadly. I will investigate it. But it seems to be nvidia again...
I’ve been having a similar issue, and encountered a number of crashes when running Reason which seem to be caused by my video card (though mine’s AMD)...how did you fix the “bad state” of your card the first time? (and how did you know that was causing the problem?)
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Ad0

21 Feb 2019

I messed around in MSI Afterburner

• Information