Mixing with headphones

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
33db

26 Jan 2018

Sharing a wall with my (very patient) neighbors has a limiting effect on volume, and what time things can get done.
I've been trying a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones for mixing with mixed (haha) results.
When I search this online, there seem to be 2 distinct schools of thought on headphones, OK for tracking not good for mixing, and those that mix in phones and love it.

How many here use HP's for mixing? Any thoughts on the yay or nay of it?
Last edited by 33db on 26 Jan 2018, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

26 Jan 2018

I find that it somewhat doesn't matter what you mix on as long as you are familiar with it's results and you mix on different things. But never just headphones.

Whether that means mixing on headphones and then checking the mix in your car, or on a pair of studio monitors when you have the chance, checking on your phone/mobile device, a home stereo, etc. The trick of listening in your car is still a goto for many people because that's where they listen to the most music; and they can tell when something is off or consistent with what they would consider a good mix. Studios don't have one pair of monitors, they have several that they check between.

So, it's all about what you can do within your means, but also just checking across systems in which you are familiar. And maybe sending or bringing a mix to a friend who can play loud music in their home or studio to check your mixes.

JRJulius

26 Jan 2018

It’s possible so long as you test on other systems and don’t overdo it with stereo panning. I use headphones exclusively and it’s fine, but my mixes are admittedly not great. That’s largely down to me crowding the midrange and letting my reverb stay muddy — they would probably still suck if I had monitors.

I don’t want to buy monitors because I’d have to justify the space to my wife, the cost to myself, and the noise to my neighbours. I test on my TV, my phone with cheap earbuds, and occasionally my car.

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2018

I just notice I get ear strain a lot more with headphones. Before you know it, everything in your mix will sound dull and you'll boosting things when you shouldn't :D

Take frequent breaks and try not to overdo it. :thumbs_up:

normen

26 Jan 2018

Use open headphones for mixing, not closed ones. Closed ones make it very hard to judge the dynamics among other things.

33db

26 Jan 2018

I should have added at the start that I'm limited in budget, so the Sonys were priced at a friendly point, and my monitors are M-audio BX5's... so not the greatest things to mix on.
This post could be named "How to get a good mix with a limited budget and sensitive neighbors" =)

33db

26 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
26 Jan 2018
Use open headphones for mixing, not closed ones. Closed ones make it very hard to judge the dynamics among other things.
There's a fierce debate about this as well, most of the debate revolves around mics picking up the sounds with opens and tracking difficulties, but there is also a debate on open vs isolation.

Depends on if you're tracking or mixing.

RandyEspoda

26 Jan 2018

A pair of good 'open' headphones in combination with Sonarworks reference can work fairly well.
I've noticed that since adding Reference, especially the subbass and bass regions turn out a lot better when tested on other systems.
Just watch out not to overdo any stereo panning, and always at least 'check' your mixes in mono
before you start testing the mix on other systems.
Checking the mix in mono first ensures that any flaws and issues can be identified and dealt with.
Usually after that, it'll sound at least 'ok' on other systems.
Imo, when mixing with HPs this mono-check is at least as important as testing on other systems.
I've also noticed that things like reverbs and delays, when you think you have the sweetspot, turn it down just a tad,
because on speakers it will (usually) be a tad over-guestimated.

It always takes a while to get used to any kind of HPs or monitors,
so take that into account, because that also matters more than which ones to get.
I currently use the Beyerdynamic dt990pro, and admittedly it isn't the 'best' for mixing,
having seriously hyped highs and tomed down mid-lows, but with Sonarworks that is corrected,
and the act of balancing your sounds and mixes do improve because of it.

normen

26 Jan 2018

33db wrote:
26 Jan 2018
There's a fierce debate about this as well, most of the debate revolves around mics picking up the sounds with opens and tracking difficulties, but there is also a debate on open vs isolation.

Mics? I am talking about mixing, not recording. When recording always use a closed headphone (obviously). The dynamics problem is real. Way too easy to dial in a distorting limiter without noticing when using closed phones.

33db

26 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
26 Jan 2018
33db wrote:
26 Jan 2018

Mics? I am talking about mixing, not recording. When recording always use a closed headphone (obviously). The dynamics problem is real. Way too easy to dial in a distorting limiter without noticing when using closed phones.
OK, but I'm curious what is it that open HP's do exactly that makes them better for mixing vs closed?

normen

26 Jan 2018

33db wrote:
26 Jan 2018
OK, but I'm curious what is it that open HP's do exactly that makes them better for mixing vs closed?
They - as the name implies - do not form a closed air space around your ear.

33db

26 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
26 Jan 2018
33db wrote:
26 Jan 2018
They - as the name implies - do not form a closed air space around your ear.
Yes but how is that better? Isn't it just different? There are several threads online (as I mentioned) of people debating the use of open and closed for both tracking and mixing.
According to this article closed back can create "resonant effects" but they can also be used for mixing depending on the situation.
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... headphones

So here's what I think today, that a good mix can be done with speakers OR headphones, and if using headphones they can be done just fine closed or openback as long as you are aware of the potential problems.

normen

26 Jan 2018

33db wrote:
26 Jan 2018
Yes but how is that better? Isn't it just different? There are several threads online (as I mentioned) of people debating the use of open and closed for both tracking and mixing.
According to this article closed back can create "resonant effects" but they can also be used for mixing depending on the situation.
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... headphones

So here's what I think today, that a good mix can be done with speakers OR headphones, and if using headphones they can be done just fine closed or openback as long as you are aware of the potential problems.
Well I gave one example that to me should seal the deal. If you can't hear distortion properly on a headphone you should probably not use it. And it goes both ways - over-compression and under-compression can easily be misjudged on closed headphones. Its also way further from the impression you have when listening on speakers which also makes it less suitable - unless you know your listeners will use in-ear or closed headphones.

Its a completely different way of transferring the sound to your ear. You're basically moving your ear drum directly instead of having sound hit your ear and be deflected / reflected the way normal sound around you does. It can in certain situations be better (e.g. VR or playing back recordings from a Kunstkopf) but for mixing a generic track that is supposed to be played on speakers as well its not a good place to judge the sound from. Your ears natural compression and the dynamics on the track "mix" when they're in a closed system.

manem78

27 Jan 2018

Hi,
I also do mix on headphones, but always use 112db Redline Monitor vst plugin on a headphone output. I set it up so it sounds almost exactly as my monitor speakers. As Reason now supports vst I don't have to rewire it to other daws for that.

33db

27 Jan 2018

manem78 wrote:
27 Jan 2018
Hi,
I also do mix on headphones, but always use 112db Redline Monitor vst plugin on a headphone output. I set it up so it sounds almost exactly as my monitor speakers. As Reason now supports vst I don't have to rewire it to other daws for that.
I'll check this out thank you.

• Information