Refills vs Zip?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Oquasec

19 Jan 2018

I use refill packer since it doesn't read zips by default.
Does it make sense for that to be a thing? I notice most daws can't read a zip.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EnochLight

20 Jan 2018

Oquasec wrote:
19 Jan 2018
The refill "format" uses a proprietary lossless compression algorithm that allows wav/aiff/samples/etc to be compressed to roughly half their size at ~50%, and of course - they can be opened, navigated, and searched via Reason.

With ZIP, you have to use your OS's browser for all of that, and the compression averages 15%-20% for wav.

So... while no DAW's except Reason can read Refills, if space/size and convenience of searching is your goal, then Refill seems to be the best choice. If you need to share with other DAW or users that use other DAW, then your only choice is ZIP, RAR, etc...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

submonsterz

20 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
20 Jan 2018
Oquasec wrote:
19 Jan 2018
The refill "format" uses a proprietary lossless compression algorithm that allows wav/aiff/samples/etc to be compressed to roughly half their size at ~50%, and of course - they can be opened, navigated, and searched via Reason.

With ZIP, you have to use your OS's browser for all of that, and the compression averages 15%-20% for wav.

So... while no DAW's except Reason can read Refills, if space/size and convenience of searching is your goal, then Refill seems to be the best choice. If you need to share with other DAW or users that use other DAW, then your only choice is ZIP, RAR, etc...
Refill is ok as all in one format but I still stand by my thinking for audio lossless compression then wave pack is still what props should be injecting into reason
http://www.wavpack.com/
I'm Shure you know all about it after all these years and it's improvements etc but if not up to date a read at link I provided I'm Shure you'll agree it would be welcomed by many as an audio compression method for reason especially as what it uses on a save file for audio heavy project .
Because as is it's rediculas insane huge file sizes as is. :(.

sdst
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2018

I dont see the benefit of having the samples compressed in the pc

better to have them in a folder,

unless you have a hard drive from the 90s, lol

EnochLight

20 Jan 2018

sdst wrote:
20 Jan 2018
I dont see the benefit of having the samples compressed in the pc

better to have them in a folder,

unless you have a hard drive from the 90s, lol
^^ ^^

THIS. I haven't used the Refill packer in over a decade, and even back then it was just to share some stuff with someone for convenience. Unless I'm selling patch libraries for Reason, I really see no reason to use it. And I only ZIP stuff (well, actually I RAR it because WinRAR is awesome) if I need to share something with someone and save bandwidth. But the OP never explained why he is choosing between refills and ZIP, so... there's that! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Marco Raaphorst

20 Jan 2018

I never understood why DAWs can't read zip files. Would be great if you could read zip files without the need to unzip and zip them over and over and over and over again.

Should be easy to implement also.

EnochLight

21 Jan 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
20 Jan 2018
I never understood why DAWs can't read zip files. Would be great if you could read zip files without the need to unzip and zip them over and over and over and over again.

..because technically, WinZIP is not free software. Any DAW manufacturer would have to pay to license the tech in order to allow their DAW to read it.

http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/47/

That might be part of the reason...

Marco Raaphorst

21 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
21 Jan 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
20 Jan 2018

..because technically, WinZIP is not free software. Any DAW manufacturer would have to pay to license the tech in order to allow their DAW to read it.

In OSX zip is a native proces.

EnochLight

21 Jan 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
21 Jan 2018
EnochLight wrote:
21 Jan 2018

As it is in Windows, but that’s likely because both Apple and Microsoft pay to license it.

Marco Raaphorst

21 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
21 Jan 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
21 Jan 2018

As it is in Windows, but that’s likely because both Apple and Microsoft pay to license it.
Yes, but that means any DAW developer can run these native processes. No extra licenses needed, it's OS dependant.

Oquasec

21 Jan 2018

Daws not reading zip files is so 90's lol.
But then again I like refill format too and did not know those had a compression algorithm like that.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EnochLight

22 Jan 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
21 Jan 2018
EnochLight wrote:
21 Jan 2018

Yes, but that means any DAW developer can run these native processes. No extra licenses needed, it's OS dependant.
Both Windows and OSX read mp3 “native” back in the day, but you still have to license it. That’s why Reason can’t *EXPORT* mp3; only read it. ;) The licensing for WinZIP may be more restrictive. Clearly there’s a reason, or I’m sure Props would have embraced it by now. Or maybe it’s so low on he totem pole of requests, they just haven’t given it a thought? Beats me.

Marco Raaphorst

22 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
22 Jan 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
21 Jan 2018

Both Windows and OSX read mp3 “native” back in the day, but you still have to license it. That’s why Reason can’t *EXPORT* mp3; only read it. ;) The licensing for WinZIP may be more restrictive. Clearly there’s a reason, or I’m sure Props would have embraced it by now. Or maybe it’s so low on he totem pole of requests, they just haven’t given it a thought? Beats me.
On OSX you can only natively encode aac, mpeg, aif, not mp3. Only with iTunes and 3rd party software you can encode mp3.

With native I mean: build in os, you can run it via terminal. Then any coder/program can use it.

• Information