New alternative lane at loop end automatically

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
oor

18 Jan 2018

As I have come to now, I have to explicitly press "," or "." (or the corresponding mouse clicks) to get a new lane when recording in a loop. That is very distressing. It would have given me a lot more musically undisturbed flow, if a new alternative (or duplicated for that sake) lane was created automatically each time the loop end is reached. Is that possible?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2018

Yep, see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503908

There is a list of my tips and tricks here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909

oor

20 Jan 2018

Hi!

Thank you so much! I got it to work after some research, trying and failing. I am still a newbie, you see:-) I am sure this is the simplest way of achieving my goal, if you guys out there say so. But it is beyond me that this functionality is not a native part of the Reason's alt/dub feature. Although yours is a working solution, it is still somewhat elaborate.

However, one more thing:
When using your technique to record some lanes, there comes the time to listen to the different lanes, cleaning up, keeping some, removing others. I do that by playing the loop and muting/unmuting different lanes upon my listening. That creates a new lane at each loop end. Of course, I could turn the functionality on and off, but sometimes I get an idea, and want to record a new lane by just turning the record on. I would then want to avoid having to turn the loopback functionality on and off as well. Shortly, what I want, is your mechanism to work only upon recording and not playing. Some way to achieve that?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2018

oor wrote:
20 Jan 2018
Hi!

Thank you so much! I got it to work after some research, trying and failing. I am still a newbie, you see:-) I am sure this is the simplest way of achieving my goal, if you guys out there say so. But it is beyond me that this functionality is not a native part of the Reason's alt/dub feature. Although yours is a working solution, it is still somewhat elaborate.

However, one more thing:
When using your technique to record some lanes, there comes the time to listen to the different lanes, cleaning up, keeping some, removing others. I do that by playing the loop and muting/unmuting different lanes upon my listening. That creates a new lane at each loop end. Of course, I could turn the functionality on and off, but sometimes I get an idea, and want to record a new lane by just turning the record on. I would then want to avoid having to turn the loopback functionality on and off as well. Shortly, what I want, is your mechanism to work only upon recording and not playing. Some way to achieve that?
Hmm, quick answer would be to mute the EMI channel on playback as you are already in the SEQ.

Long answer would be to have a 2nd EMI to start the record and enable the Alt-loop however that would mean you would need the rack always in view.

oor

20 Jan 2018

Hmmm..., what about triggering track unmuting with the same MIDI input as the "record" one? I mean, if the transport "record" on my controller keyboard could have triggered not only the "record" functionality, but also the <"unmute" my EMI track>. I have in all modesty experimented somewhat, but have not been able to do that. But I am sure you @Carly as an experienced one could achieve something in that direction.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2018

oor wrote:
20 Jan 2018
Hmmm..., what about triggering track unmuting with the same MIDI input as the "record" one? I mean, if the transport "record" on my controller keyboard could have triggered not only the "record" functionality, but also the <"unmute" my EMI track>. I have in all modesty experimented somewhat, but have not been able to do that. But I am sure you @Carly as an experienced one could achieve something in that direction.
You did not say what controller you had however for quickness, remote override the "On" button on the EMI with a button from your controller, so to record you will have to hit 2 buttons one after the other.

The longer way off the top of my head,
add a combinator and insert 2 EMI's

One of the EMI's send out a CC to control the On/Off button on the EMI that does the alt-track
2nd EMU sends out a CC to control the Record button.
Program the combinator to send a signal to the EMI's via a button
Remote override that button from your controller.
Then one button on your controller will turn on the Alt-track EMI and record at the same time.

oor

20 Jan 2018

Thanks a lot for your thoughts!

I will take them as input for a learning exercise the days to come.

BTW:
My daily controller keyboard is an Akai MPK49. With it, I can govern the record (and other transport controls), which frees me from the PC and its keyboard. Which I love. The more I can free me from the PC HW when feeling creative, and concentrate on playing (and do stuff on my Akai) (or whichever controller), the happier I will be. :) That's why I suggested the "record" button on my Akai controlling "unmute the EMI track". And also, of course, the "play" triggering the "mute the EMI track". ... or whatever could start/stop new lanes proliferating...

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2018

Just to add why I suggested the way I did.

First off you want one button (ideally the record button) to control 2 different things in Reason.

The combinator button gives you that with a BIG however in this case.
The real problem is the EMI On/Off for CC (or program) can not be controlled by the combinator :(
however you can control the signal coming from the EMI, you can then loop that back in as a remote override on another EMI On/Off button.

Hmm, another though just popped into my head, you could use something like Redrum to do the trigger (gate) as that can be set to 64 steps and a lower resolution however it would only be good for short loops, I would say less than 16 bars, you could then control the pattern enable via the combinator, thinking aloud again you could do more that 16 bars and select the pattern with the gate control when needed... I may try that myself..

• Information