Is R10 OK on High Sierra?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
TagNut

18 Jan 2018

I've searched the forum and read a few threads, but they appear to be specific issues. More generally I wanted to know if R10 runs OK on High Sierra?

I ask because I am currently still on Yosemite, due to the fact that R9.5 ran smooth as dove chocolate on it. But now I have upgraded to R10 it keeps crashing. tia.

moneykube

18 Jan 2018

sierra was a nightmare and had problems times one million... never tried high sierra as it makes all old apple video programs non functional meaning a 1000 dollar kick in the teeth
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Oquasec

18 Jan 2018

I hear sierra is the mac OS to avoid using period. At least for now.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

TagNut

18 Jan 2018

Crikey glad I asked! Thanks all. :thumbs_up:

wishMachine

18 Jan 2018

No problems here and this is a 2012 iMac. Can't upgrade the filesystem though (which was the bit I was super psyched about because I'm a complete nerd!)
:reason: 10 :record: :refill: :ignition: :re:

joeyluck

18 Jan 2018

I went from Mavericks (10.9) to a new computer on Sierra (10.12) and noticed a drop in performance when using Reason. Most other applications I use saw an increase in performance (with the newer processor).

That said, I did not see a performance drop going from Sierra to High Sierra (10.13).
And supposedly the drop in performance with Reason in macOS has been a known issue since El Capitan (10.11).

So if you are going from 10.11 to 10.13 (and from anywhere in between), you might not notice a difference. If you're updating from something earlier than 10.11, chances are you might see a drop in performance when using Reason.

brand

18 Jan 2018

I have an iMac which came with Sierra - got it several months ago . I've had no problems with R10, at least so far. But hearing of some of the issues with Reason and High Sierra, I've not upgraged the OS -- at least not yet.

TagNut

19 Jan 2018

Thanks again all. Ima stick with Yosemite for now. I can live with the crashes, but can't risk a drop in performance as I'm on an old machine (until summer). :thumbs_up:

JRJulius

19 Jan 2018

R10 has been stable on High Sierra for me but I’ve had to keep my buffer higher than I would have expected — 256 frames once I hit ~5 tracks, 512 once I hit ~12 tracks. That’s with Europa and A-List Classic Drummer, which may just be heavy devices, but it still surprised me a bit.

I took a long break from Reason AND I’m using new devices so I can’t properly compare High Sierra to earlier operating systems. But in my experience, it’s stable and not brilliantly optimized. Oh but there is one persistent bug — Bluetooth MIDI works fine during playback, but as soon as I try to record I get an overflow message.

Late 2013 13” MBP with a Balance interface and Akai MPK Mini 2. Occasionally I’ll plug in my phone over IDAM or WiFi MIDI, which has no obvious impact on performance. If I connect via Bluetooth, R10 gives an overflow message as soon as I try to record.

woodsdenis

19 Jan 2018

Sierra here, no issues with R10

Last Alternative

21 Jan 2018

My computer works flawlessly on games, movies and other software with the exception of Reason. It’s gotten better as PH releases updates and right now my only issue is video drag - even in low resolution - while navigating around and doing stuff. It’s very frustrating but it’s a lot better than all the other problems there were on top of that.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

SoulState

21 Jan 2018

joeyluck wrote:
18 Jan 2018
I went from Mavericks (10.9) to a new computer on Sierra (10.12) and noticed a drop in performance when using Reason. Most other applications I use saw an increase in performance (with the newer processor).

That said, I did not see a performance drop going from Sierra to High Sierra (10.13).
And supposedly the drop in performance with Reason in macOS has been a known issue since El Capitan (10.11).

So if you are going from 10.11 to 10.13 (and from anywhere in between), you might not notice a difference. If you're updating from something earlier than 10.11, chances are you might see a drop in performance when using Reason.
Think I'll stay on Mavericks and Yosemite. They work well enough with Reason. I never change operating system unless I have too.
I've looked at El Capitan and above, they don't offer anything I need to create music - why move?! What am i missing out on? :roll:
:reason:

priior

21 Jan 2018

I'm running High Sierra on a 2013 mac Air. r10 is running fine on it. Sierra was terrible, but High Sierra was a good move forward!

dvdrtldg

21 Jan 2018

No probs with Sierra on my 2016 MBP

Giving High Sierra a big swerve for now, though. I wish my machine would stop prompting me to upgrade

TagNut

22 Jan 2018

dvdrtldg wrote:
21 Jan 2018
........ I wish my machine would stop prompting me to upgrade
Init though! Drives me mad. Top right of screen all day everyday. Someone must know how to turn this off?

SoulState

22 Jan 2018

Go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES - APP STORE - Turn off "Automatically check for updates"
:reason:

TagNut

22 Jan 2018

Great, thanks.

moneykube

24 Jan 2018

nope, nope, nope... I lose final cut studio and a few others if upgrading... not made of $$$$$$....apple's 700 dollar money grab
macOS High Sierra drops support for older Final Cut Studio, Logic Studio apps
Apple's older Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio apps don't work with High Sierra.
Heads up: these Apple pro apps won't work with High Sierra
I use finalcut 7, DVD Studio Pro,Soundtrack Pro,Cinema Tools, compressor and more
macOS 10.13 High Sierra, the latest version of Apple's operating system for Macs, has arrived, and as with any major system release, some things are getting left behind. If you're a longtime user of Apple's suite of legacy professional apps, Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio, you'll need to to make arrangements to transition to new apps if you plan on using High Sierra.

The following Apple Pro apps do not work with macOS High Sierra:

Final Cut Studio:

DVD Studio Pro
Soundtrack Pro
Color
Cinema Tools

Logic Studio:

Soundtrack Pro
WaveBurner
Studio Instruments
Studio Effects
Apple Loops
Apple Loops Utility
Impulse Response Utility

Logic Studio apps, which included Logic Pro, Mainstage, Apple Loops Utility, and more, eventually gave way to Logic Pro X and an updated version of Mainstage. Most of the Final Cut Studio apps, similarly, have also fallen away, supplanted by Final Cut Pro X, though Motion and Compressor are still regularly updated.

In addition to these pro apps, you'll also need the following versions of Final Cut Pro X, Motion, Compressor, Logic Pro X, and Mainstage to ensure compatibility with macOS High Sierra:

Final Cut Pro X 10.3.4 or later
Motion 5.3.2 or later
Compressor 4.3.2 or later
Logic Pro X 10.3.1 or later
MainStage 3.3 or later

If you'd like to start moving your workflows over to Apple's newer professional apps, you can find them on the Mac App Store.

Final Cut Pro X - $299.99 - Download Now
Motion - $49.99 - Download Now
Compressor - $49.99 - Download Now
Logic Pro X - $199.99 - Download Now
MainStage - $29.99 - Download Now
Last edited by moneykube on 24 Jan 2018, edited 3 times in total.

moneykube

24 Jan 2018

dvdrtldg wrote:
21 Jan 2018
Giving High Sierra a big swerve for now, though. I wish my machine would stop prompting me to upgrade
every day or second day... drives me bonkers

• Information