Reason 10 - Why no reviews?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
wils

18 Jan 2018

There's one review in MusicTech, but nothing anywhere else. The software has been out since October, so I'm wondering where SoundOnSound's review is (for example).

Why is it so quiet? It's not a minor player by any means, so I'm surprised at the radio silence (I.e. loads of places saying "Reason 10 is coming!" in September, nothing since).

Harmen

18 Jan 2018

There are reviews on the web; just not on sound on sound They did a review on Europa and grain.
There's enough congregation for Reason 10, i think.

Just fiddle around.

cheers.

wils

18 Jan 2018

Half of those mentioned aren't reviews - they're not someone getting a copy in the post and sitting down and using the software, they're someone reading out a press release (the musictech one I was already aware of).

I guess it's because Reason 9.5 came out relatively recently?

QVprod

18 Jan 2018

Many reviewed 9.5 just a few months before. As linked in Ahornberg's comment, Sound on Sound just did articles on Europa and Grain less than a month ago.

4filegate

19 Jan 2018

wils wrote:
18 Jan 2018
they're not someone getting a copy in the post and sitting down and using the software, they're someone reading out a press release (the musictech one I was already aware of).
IKTF? It’s time we started working with our audience; https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/04/inte ... uperbooth/

a copy in the post? Here is a 30-day Trial version of Reason available for download https://www.propellerheads.se/reason/tryreason

encourage the community to help in the content creation process ➰ last sunday I've sent to Propellerhead press resources;
superbooth2018 Show Us a LIVE event with Peter Lansford in the Evening Program or daily Seaside Stage, perhaps show him EUROPA InRealLife.

Gorgon

19 Jan 2018

The reviewers are probably just as underwhelmed with the upgrade as I am.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2018

You'll be pleased to read that the March edition of Computer Music magazine (CM250) has a review of Reason 10.
You won't be so pleased once you have read the review and seen the mark out of 10.

Grum.

Goodbye

19 Jan 2018

Because it wasn't really worth a review.

FlowerSoldier

19 Jan 2018

Yikes...Shots Fired!

Dante

19 Jan 2018

Future Music Feb 2018 page 86 - 5 pages.

EdGrip

19 Jan 2018

Guys.

4filegate

19 Jan 2018

Everyone has an opinion on which DAW software is the best.
https://www.superbooth.com/en/propeller ... re-ab.html which are presented below "Announcing Reason 9!"
Welcome Reason10 - WHIIIIEZZ Back to the Future!

househoppin09

19 Jan 2018

Grumbleweed wrote:
19 Jan 2018
You'll be pleased to read that the March edition of Computer Music magazine (CM250) has a review of Reason 10.
You won't be so pleased once you have read the review and seen the mark out of 10.

Grum.
I don't have the magazine and the review doesn't seem to be online... what's the mark out of 10 and what did they like and not like?

napynap

19 Jan 2018

If it helps anyone else here, I recently upgraded from 9.5 to 10. I was nervous that something would be missing from my previous projects. I installed version 10 (which is a separate install from 9.5) including the extra content. All of my licenses activated within seconds. I verified all of my REs and VST were already in there without additional downloads. I pulled up a couple of old songs and they sounded exactly like they should. It saved me time and frustration that I've had with other DAW upgrades. I was really impressed with that! Uninstalled 9.5 and I'm rolling on 10 now!
visit http://www.napynap.com to learn more about me. Thank you.

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2018

househoppin09 wrote:
19 Jan 2018
Grumbleweed wrote:
19 Jan 2018

Grum.
I don't have the magazine and the review doesn't seem to be online... what's the mark out of 10 and what did they like and not like?
As I get the magazine delivered I get it before it goes to the shops I wouldn't want to ruin the experience for those who have yet to get it.

I'll will give you a clue though:

Take away the number of Degrees from the number of 'pole Tudors.

Grum.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

20 Jan 2018

Grumbleweed wrote:
20 Jan 2018

Grum.

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
20 Jan 2018
Grumbleweed wrote:
20 Jan 2018

Grum.
Perfect! :D

Grum.

joeyluck

21 Jan 2018

Grumbleweed wrote:
19 Jan 2018

Grum.
CM250 was the December issue. The March issue should be 253 when it's published.

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2018

joeyluck wrote:
21 Jan 2018
Grumbleweed wrote:
19 Jan 2018

Grum.
CM250 was the December issue. The March issue should be 253 when it's published.
If you add on the number of Degrees to the number I wrote you will get the correct issue number!
(I'm sure I wrote 253 the first time I did the post but I did something wrong and had to write it again - I obviously effed the second version up!).

Grum.

Dante

22 Jan 2018

The Feb 2018 Future Music review is better. Its 5 pages covering
. Getting more from VSTs in Reason
. Modulate anything and everything in a VST
. VST/CV Tricks
. Wavetable Synthesis with Europa
. Getting to grips with Player devices
. Transforming a sample in Grain

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

22 Jan 2018

Dante wrote:
22 Jan 2018

. VST/CV Tricks
VST, VST, VST.

Nothing at all about Rack Extensions? (Outside of Grain and Europa, but they don't really count being part of the product release).

It's been a while since I really followed the tech music press, so I'd be interested in hearing what any of these magazines actually cover when writing about Reason.

I mention this because a few years ago, 2013 or 2014, one of the freelance journalists who write for these mags told me that there is no chance of getting the PC music press seriously interested in Rack Extensions: they simply won't pay for articles on the matter.

Now, that's not been entirely true, I know this from experience, as my first two Combos REs got a mention in SoS in a piece alongside one of Ochen's releases. (Oh happy days). But note I knew nothing about that article in advance, so I don't know the details about its commission. (My guess was it was somehow tied in the launch of IDT, and maybe MHG or someone had contact with SoS and managed to convince someone, or SoS had a gap they needed to fill and ran a piece on REs as an experiment... I've no idea).

But apart from that, to all intents and purposes it seemed even on the basis I've not really followed the press too closely, that my insider otherwise proved to have been so generally spot on, I'm starting to wonder if that's not another specific reason that VSTs were added: to actually get some additional press for Reason. It almost certainly was in the Pros column on the meeting room whiteboard: with no VST support, would FutureMusic, for example, be doing articles about Rack Extensions.

So was my journo contact right back in 2014? How many [non-PH] RE exclusives have FM and CM et al actually reviewed? Did RE coverage ever improve?

joeyluck

22 Jan 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
22 Jan 2018

So was my journo contact right back in 2014? How many [non-PH] RE exclusives have FM and CM et al actually reviewed? Did RE coverage ever improve?
I remember MusicTech doing more Rack Extension coverage and reviews. But that was before VST; so it wasn't sparked by that. There seemed to be more of an initiative a year or so ago to "catch up." Many of the publications still cover release news. But part of that might simply be the developers reaching out to the publications with the news. Much like it's handled here for ReasonTalk's front page. If someone contacts us in advance with release news and time to write something or create a video, we might find the time to do it.

I think some RE developers could maybe try contacting popular publications more often with release news. Would be cool to see some more RE coverage in CM or other magazines. Maybe offer them NFR licenses to demo and review the REs. Sonic State is also a great site to reach out to. I remember the JPS getting covered there and that was pretty cool. Was that initiated by you or them?

Reason is a closed system, and there's so much that these publications cover, sometimes they just need a reminder and a nudge :)

stratatonic

22 Jan 2018

Dante wrote:
22 Jan 2018
The Feb 2018 Future Music review is better. Its 5 pages covering
. VST/CV Tricks
. Wavetable Synthesis with Europa
. Getting to grips with Player devices
. Transforming a sample in Grain
That doesn't sound like a Reason 10 review at all.

More like tips for Reason 9 (getting grips with Players), Reason 9.5 (getting more from VSTs/modulate VST/tricks) and finally, Reason 10 (how to: Europa and Grain)

Can't wait for the in-depth exclusive on getting the most out of Humana.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

23 Jan 2018

joeyluck wrote:
22 Jan 2018

I think some RE developers could maybe try contacting popular publications more often with release news. Would be cool to see some more RE coverage in CM or other magazines. Maybe offer them NFR licenses to demo and review the REs. Sonic State is also a great site to reach out to. I remember the JPS getting covered there and that was pretty cool. Was that initiated by you or them?
The first I've heard about it, tbh.

It was frustrating in the early days of RE when every blogger and his dog would ask for freebies in exchange for write-ups, but those write-ups literally never happened. Interestingly, those largely stopped by 2014. I think I've only had one since: some guy in December 2016 asked for JPS and 310U for "an award shortlist", uh-huh, yeah, right. Despite the suspicion, I did ask for his user-name, but I never heard back; my guess is he wasn't even a Reason user. Just before Xmas 2017 I had an equiry from Turkey about bulk discounts on Harmonic Synthesizers.

To be brutally honest, I thought it was spam so I ignored it at first. But after three emails from him, I realised it was actually genuine and he probably thought it was hardware... :lol: .

• Information