Reason 10 - Why no reviews?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Data_Shrine

23 Jan 2018

Maybe there's almost no reviews on R10 because except the new synths, there's nothing much to it. :-I Basically core software is the same as R9.5

joeyluck

23 Jan 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
23 Jan 2018
joeyluck wrote:
22 Jan 2018

I think some RE developers could maybe try contacting popular publications more often with release news. Would be cool to see some more RE coverage in CM or other magazines. Maybe offer them NFR licenses to demo and review the REs. Sonic State is also a great site to reach out to. I remember the JPS getting covered there and that was pretty cool. Was that initiated by you or them?
The first I've heard about it, tbh.

It was frustrating in the early days of RE when every blogger and his dog would ask for freebies in exchange for write-ups, but those write-ups literally never happened. Interestingly, those largely stopped by 2014. I think I've only had one since: some guy in December 2016 asked for JPS and 310U for "an award shortlist", uh-huh, yeah, right. Despite the suspicion, I did ask for his user-name, but I never heard back; my guess is he wasn't even a Reason user. Just before Xmas 2017 I had an equiry from Turkey about bulk discounts on Harmonic Synthesizers.

To be brutally honest, I thought it was spam so I ignored it at first. But after three emails from him, I realised it was actually genuine and he probably thought it was hardware... :lol: .
Well I'm specifically talking about reaching out to those popular and reputable publications. Would definitely be cool to see more attention given to REs.

Goodbye

23 Jan 2018

EdGrip wrote:
19 Jan 2018
Guys.

BhHHavTCQAIJ_jk copy.jpg
BhHHavTCQAIJ_jk copy.jpg (178.68 KiB) Viewed 5967 times
I'm guessing you have a piece of 'art' on your wall made out of driftwood sayinging 'Live, Love, Laugh' .

EdGrip

23 Jan 2018

Not ON my wall, pal. Because I have a creative mind - that's just the way I am - the art IS the wall, if you can imagine that. Try and picture this: one wall in the room, painted a different colour to the other walls - Egyptian cotton grey (it's called a feature wall.)
And on that wall, there's beautiful organic calligraphy writing made out of adhesive-backed mirror vinyl, sayinging "Happiness, Home, Family."

Dante

23 Jan 2018

stratatonic wrote:
22 Jan 2018
Dante wrote:
22 Jan 2018
The Feb 2018 Future Music review is better. Its 5 pages covering
. Getting more from VSTs in Reason
. Modulate anything and everything in a VST
. VST/CV Tricks
. Wavetable Synthesis with Europa
. Getting to grips with Player devices
. Transforming a sample in Grain
That doesn't sound like a Reason 10 review at all.

More like tips for Reason 9 (getting grips with Players), Reason 9.5 (getting more from VSTs/modulate VST/tricks) and finally, Reason 10 (how to: Europa and Grain)

Can't wait for the in-depth exclusive on getting the most out of Humana.
Up front the article states that they haven't covered Reason in-depth for a while, hence the inclusion of 9 and 9.5 features. An RE only review of Reason 10 would seem to me like preaching to the converted. Whereas widening the scope to include VST doesn't really seem to be a bad thing as it targets the new market of 'have VST (but no CV) - will travel'.

Point is, Reason 10 has coverage in 3 major publications, Future Music, Computer Music and Music Tech. So the notion that it has no coverage is completely off the mark, whether peeps like the coverage or not.

stratatonic

24 Jan 2018

Dante wrote:
23 Jan 2018

Up front the article states that they haven't covered Reason in-depth for a while, hence the inclusion of 9 and 9.5 features....

Point is, Reason 10 has coverage in 3 major publications, Future Music, Computer Music and Music Tech. So the notion that it has no coverage is completely off the mark, whether peeps like the coverage or not.
Sure, but the OP asks about Reason 10 reviews - not coverage.

Here is some of the last paragraph of the Computer Music March 2018 review:
...for a major DAW update, it feels as though this instruments-only upgrade has fallen a little short of the mark, in comparision to previous updates...there are tons of minor niggles that haven't been addressed...It's hard to recommend this upgrade, for all but the most die hard Reason-heads, especially with the wealth of third party VST plugins and Rack Extensions that are available for the same money as (or less than) this particular upgrade.

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2018

stratatonic wrote:
24 Jan 2018
Dante wrote:
23 Jan 2018

Up front the article states that they haven't covered Reason in-depth for a while, hence the inclusion of 9 and 9.5 features....

...for a major DAW update, it feels as though this instruments-only upgrade has fallen a little short of the mark, in comparision to previous updates...there are tons of minor niggles that haven't been addressed...It's hard to recommend this upgrade, for all but the most die hard Reason-heads, especially with the wealth of third party VST plugins and Rack Extensions that are available for the same money as (or less than) this particular upgrade.
I used to love the sequencer in Reason (when I was young and naive) but as other DAWs have improved theirs Reason has fallen (well) behind.
I loved Sonar's "smart tools" and am now adapting to Cubase's sequencer (it's always fun learning a new DAW (he lied)).
I do like Reason's ability to quantize audio though :).

Grum.

Pralijah

24 Jan 2018

Probably more reviews might come if there is a real change done to the workflow or new functions in mixer or sequencer, or to the graphics or whatever is enough of difference to a user. I really hope to see some betterments until a R11 comes out.
Make music shake again!

antic604

24 Jan 2018

stratatonic wrote:
24 Jan 2018
I'm the case they mention in 1st paragraph of the summary (new user), where it sounds much more positive :)
CM253 wrote:For newcomers to music production, or those on the lookout for a virtual studio that comes with everything you need to make music, Reason’s still a great option thanks to its hardware ‘rack’-inspired interface and raft of bundled devices. And, of course, it’s now free from its self-contained shackles thanks to the much-heralded VST support

Ahornberg

24 Jan 2018

Goodbye wrote:
23 Jan 2018
EdGrip wrote:
19 Jan 2018
Guys.

BhHHavTCQAIJ_jk copy.jpg

I'm guessing you have a piece of 'art' on your wall made out of driftwood sayinging 'Live, Love, Laugh' .
Yes, I do
BhHHavTCQAIJ_jk.jpg
BhHHavTCQAIJ_jk.jpg (196.51 KiB) Viewed 5089 times

dana

24 Jan 2018

I think people are more excited about Ableton 10 coming out (Not me)

kuhliloach

24 Jan 2018

I agree with the general tone here -- it wasn't worth reviewing due to lack of workflow improvements. It seems to me the main feature driving today's DAW fans is "user interface" which is probably why Ableton became the world's number one DAW. While I'm sure we can all agree how great the new instruments are it doesn't really matter when the core UI remains stale, unchanged, and confusing for new and old users alike.

FlowerSoldier

24 Jan 2018

Off topic maybe...
I updated Logic last night and gave the new features a review.
I was surprised that you can now transpose audio clips by semitone/fine tuning.
That's something we've had in Reason for a while now.

groggy1

26 Jan 2018

I have a theory, that others have said before: The real "Wow" is going to be Reason10.5, and that's when it'll get more reviews.

So here's my thinking: Props are probably doing an engine overhaul, to make VSTs efficient, and that will be Reason10.5. They COULD have held-off 6 months and shipped Reason10.0 much later including that. BUT, they got pressured from their new venture capital friends to ship early. So, they took the Reason 9.5 codebase, forked it, and back-ported a couple of minor features (like Instrument-folders), and then added two synths that they had been working on in the background, and called it Reason10 since they can do that without major changes to the core Codebase.

Given how FEW changes there were to the Reason core (I think, but really just a guess) - I can only imagine it's forked and we're going to get a big update in 10.5.

Plus, I think people were so Wowed by Reason9.5 being a big update mid-way through the cycle, and they got so much positive feedback for that, I'm guessing they learned that's the way to go.

Ah, I love speculation.

Oquasec

26 Jan 2018

Ableton. Not surprised. One of the only few other daws I'd fuck with personally. Despite having reason 5's piano roll.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

moneykube

26 Jan 2018

imo it's a work in progress... fixing things first... got a good review on "sound on sound"??? not sure of name
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

EdGrip

26 Jan 2018

There's a long tradition in Reason of the .5 or .X update being as big or a bigger deal than the full update. A tick-tock system, ish.

Certainly it's always worth taking a gamble on the future point updates even if the full update doesn't impress you much, like Shania Twain. I'm waiting to see what happens only because I'm well sorted for nice virtual instruments.

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2018

EdGrip wrote:
26 Jan 2018
There's a long tradition in Reason of the .5 or .X update being as big or a bigger deal than the full update. A tick-tock system, ish.

Certainly it's always worth taking a gamble on the future point updates even if the full update doesn't impress you much, like Shania Twain. I'm waiting to see what happens only because I'm well sorted for nice virtual instruments.
I remember being reasonably impressed with Shania Twain (when she was at her peak).

Grum.

stratatonic

31 Jan 2018

Grumbleweed wrote:
24 Jan 2018
stratatonic wrote:
24 Jan 2018

I used to love the sequencer in Reason (when I was young and naive) but as other DAWs have improved theirs Reason has fallen (well) behind.
I loved Sonar's "smart tools" and am now adapting to Cubase's sequencer (it's always fun learning a new DAW (he lied)).
I do like Reason's ability to quantize audio though :).

Grum.
We'll put you down for a few degrees less than the number of 'pole Tudors...

stratatonic

31 Jan 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
24 Jan 2018
Goodbye wrote:
23 Jan 2018

BhHHavTCQAIJ_jk copy.jpg

Yes, I do

Where is this road coming from?

Voyager

31 Jan 2018

stratatonic wrote:
31 Jan 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
24 Jan 2018

Yes, I do

Where we're going we don't need roads...

Ahornberg

04 Feb 2018

stratatonic wrote:
31 Jan 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
24 Jan 2018

Yes, I do

This is an airplane :puf_bigsmile:

antic604

04 Feb 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
04 Feb 2018
stratatonic wrote:
31 Jan 2018

It's obviously a boat / ship. Don't know how it got up there, though.

Ahornberg

04 Feb 2018

antic604 wrote:
04 Feb 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
04 Feb 2018

It's obviously a boat / ship. Don't know how it got up there, though.
Yeah! I think this needs some music viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7505442

• Information