Echoing only certain frequencies?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
phoken

18 Jan 2018

Hi Reasontalk community,

so here is what i wanna do: taka adrumline (Drum, snare, hats, claps etc.) groupe all drum related channels in SSL mixer to new BUs and want now to have "the echo" as an send effect on that bus. Problem: i only want the echo to echo the high frequencies, not the bassdrums and stuff. Any ideas how i can echo only certain freqencies?
because with a gigh delay settingoin the echo, and all the low frequencies are echied as well, it sounds shitty, instead i want the drums going on normally while hich frequencies are more and more echoed. Donnu how that will sound, but i want to give it a try.

Thanks already

phoken

aeox
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2018

I believe you are looking to create a parallel channel

Loque

18 Jan 2018

You can simply highpass and lowpass filter before or after the delay on a send or a parallel channel. I would prefer a parallel channel for simplicity.
Reason12, Win10

chaosroyale

18 Jan 2018

Ver.1:
Bus A > Snare, hi perc, hats, etc > SEND to Echo
Bus B > Kick, low toms, low perc etc > Do not SEND to Echo
Bus C > Bus A & Bus B (& Return from Echo on its own mix channel can go to this bus too if you want)

Ver.2: fast and dirty version
Drums Bus > SEND > Brutal BP filter around only the frequencies you want to echo > ECHO.
Obviously the attack from kicks and so on will also get through the filter to a certain degree.

Gosh

18 Jan 2018

or you could use this free rack extension:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... -splitter/

phoken

18 Jan 2018

Wow, that was fast! Guys, thanks so much for the answers. That was very helpful. I will experiment a bit with the solutions you came up here, let's see how it sounds.

Again, thanks

Cheers

selig
RE Developer

18 Jan 2018

phoken wrote:
18 Jan 2018
Hi Reasontalk community,

so here is what i wanna do: taka adrumline (Drum, snare, hats, claps etc.) groupe all drum related channels in SSL mixer to new BUs and want now to have "the echo" as an send effect on that bus. Problem: i only want the echo to echo the high frequencies, not the bassdrums and stuff. Any ideas how i can echo only certain freqencies?
because with a gigh delay settingoin the echo, and all the low frequencies are echied as well, it sounds shitty, instead i want the drums going on normally while hich frequencies are more and more echoed. Donnu how that will sound, but i want to give it a try.

Thanks already

phoken
Just in case…
Others have taken your question literally, as relating to frequency. I wondered, however, if you are actually speaking of instruments and not frequencies? Are you asking how to put an echo on just the hats and claps (and maybe the snare), and not echo the kick? Or do you literally mean the frequencies, because there are high frequencies in the kick which will also be echoed with that approach - is that what you have in mind?

If not, and you're asking about adding an echo to just the high hats/claps, then you need to use a send on the individual hat and clap channel, not the buss channel. Otherwise, the advice given by others will work, the simplest being to use a HP filter (like in Pulveriser) in front of the echo device.
Selig Audio, LLC

phoken

18 Jan 2018

Hi Selig,

Ok, the whole story goes like this: i amtrying to come up with an downtempo / Lounge track, creatd a drumloop, that sounds rather dull. so i asked how to spice it up, and among other tips was one like put an echo on the high frequencies spikes, lige take a echo with a kind if frequency theshold. and i thought that might be mainly the highends, hihats and stuff. Hence my question. But i guess youre right, the drum might have subtle stuff in the midrange too that might be echoed, so taking just the hihat/clap/snare tacks and echo them won't to the trick. i created a paralelle channel to my drum channel, and put an HP on that an then the echo as insert effect. kinda works, but does not sound half as interesing as it did in my mind when i first read the idea. hm, maybe i am doing it wrong.

chaosroyale

18 Jan 2018

Hey Phoken- try this>
use the HP trick (or try a band pass around 3k) and have the send set to a subtle amount. Then automate the SEND to boost the signal momentarily to emphasize particular hits that you want to echo more prominently. This is a common trick in Dub.

Edit- I would still recommend putting the Kick on a completely different channel with little or no send to the echo, and then re-combining the echo and non-echo drum groups back into a "master drum bus".

raymondh

18 Jan 2018

As another suggestion, you could try adding additional percussion instruments in the loop, in a separate channel, then "insert" a delay just to that channel. Then set the dry/wet mix to 100% so you don't hear the original sound, only the echo'd sound. Then play the loop over and over while you change the level, the delay amount and the delay feedback (number of echoes) and see what that does to your groove.

selig
RE Developer

18 Jan 2018

phoken wrote:Hi Selig,

Ok, the whole story goes like this: i amtrying to come up with an downtempo / Lounge track, creatd a drumloop, that sounds rather dull. so i asked how to spice it up, and among other tips was one like put an echo on the high frequencies spikes, lige take a echo with a kind if frequency theshold. and i thought that might be mainly the highends, hihats and stuff. Hence my question. But i guess youre right, the drum might have subtle stuff in the midrange too that might be echoed, so taking just the hihat/clap/snare tacks and echo them won't to the trick. i created a paralelle channel to my drum channel, and put an HP on that an then the echo as insert effect. kinda works, but does not sound half as interesing as it did in my mind when i first read the idea. hm, maybe i am doing it wrong.
You need the thing that puts the echo only on the “spikes”, so you need to add something with a threshold, to put it simply.

On your parallel channel you can use the SSL HP filter and it’s gate. You also either need to add some automation so it’s not just on or off all the time. You either need to create dynamics with the velocities of the hats etc. or you could also use Pulsar or Pulveriser to make the volume go slightly up and down over time (no faster than once every bar). Then set the gate threshold so it’s adding the echo only for a hit or two.

Also, since you’re only sending little bits of the sound into the echo, you can us much higher feedback settings. Also explore subtle phasing/flanging on the delay to add additional movement.
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information