Re-Route Main Outs

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mydogboris

17 Jan 2018

In Logic, you have the ability to set a persistent preference to re-route the main "stereo" outs to something other than the default monitor (L/R, 1/2) outs on your interface. I have an Apollo 8 and I change that setting to Virtual 23/24 so that I can see the level (and adjust, if necessary in the Apollo Console). This comes in handy quite often as I will quickly create a loop or sequence in Logic and then plug in my guitar to the Apollo interface, play along (using amp sim plugin via console). I can easily adjust the monitor level of each via the Apollo Console.

Now that I am starting to use Reason 10 more, I'd like to do the same. Of course, I can launch a new project, flip the rack and re-route the main mixer outputs from 1/2 to 23/24. That works fine. However, as soon as I drag an instrument into the rack (Dr. Octo Rex, for example). Reason automatically routes the Octo Rex outputs to 1/2 and DOES NOT create a mixer channel for the instrument. I know I can override the default routing by holding shift while dragging the device into the rack, but then I have to manually create a mix channel and route the Octo Rex to the mix channel. This is a major pain.

Does anyone else do a similar thing (route daw main outs to something other than outputs 1/2)? If so, how do you optimize your workflow. This is a major creativity killer that I don't ever have to worry about in Logic (see Logic screenshot for setting the preference to adjust stereo outputs).
Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 7.59.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 7.59.03 AM.png (430.12 KiB) Viewed 737 times

PhillipOrdonez

17 Jan 2018

mydogboris wrote:
17 Jan 2018
In Logic, you have the ability to set a persistent preference to re-route the main "stereo" outs to something other than the default monitor (L/R, 1/2) outs on your interface. I have an Apollo 8 and I change that setting to Virtual 23/24 so that I can see the level (and adjust, if necessary in the Apollo Console). This comes in handy quite often as I will quickly create a loop or sequence in Logic and then plug in my guitar to the Apollo interface, play along (using amp sim plugin via console). I can easily adjust the monitor level of each via the Apollo Console.

Now that I am starting to use Reason 10 more, I'd like to do the same. Of course, I can launch a new project, flip the rack and re-route the main mixer outputs from 1/2 to 23/24. That works fine. However, as soon as I drag an instrument into the rack (Dr. Octo Rex, for example). Reason automatically routes the Octo Rex outputs to 1/2 and DOES NOT create a mixer channel for the instrument. I know I can override the default routing by holding shift while dragging the device into the rack, but then I have to manually create a mix channel and route the Octo Rex to the mix channel. This is a major pain.

Does anyone else do a similar thing (route daw main outs to something other than outputs 1/2)? If so, how do you optimize your workflow. This is a major creativity killer that I don't ever have to worry about in Logic (see Logic screenshot for setting the preference to adjust stereo outputs).

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 7.59.03 AM.png
Hey there,

I just replicated your scenario and in here, creating a new instrument does create a new mix channel as long as I create the new instrument on either side of the rack, not below the hardware interface (I hope you understand what I am trying to say; in the rack one can create several rows of instruments, not only a single row like it used to be on older versions... So if you create your Octo Rex on another row, it will create a mix channel for it). Now, If I wanted to keep this setting at all times. I would just create anything to keep the 1&2 busy with a token device... does that make sense?

mydogboris

17 Jan 2018

I wouldn't have even thought to try that! That seems sort of odd, in my opinion, but it will work. I would still like to see them add some sort of override, a la Logic so that we don't have to always be concerned about where we put things in the rack and how it will impact routing. I suppose I could create a default template project that has the mixer routing to my virtual inputs (23/24) and some sort of dummy instrument routed to 1/2 so it would get used when I add the first instrument. Still seems like a bit of a hack :-)

But anyway, thanks for the workaround!

mydogboris

17 Jan 2018

I also just realized there is another, more elegant way of handling this. The Apollo+Console Software is awesome. In the Apollo console you can customize the I/O routing at the driver level. Furthermore, you can create/save/recall presets to quickly bring up one of these custom routing scenarios. What I did was re-assign the driver channels 1/2 to my Apollo virtual outputs 3/4 (see screenshot). They were previously mapped by default to the Monitor L/R outputs on my Apollo. Now, I can leave Reason main outputs to 1/2 but Console routes those to my 2 Apollo virtual outputs which I can see on the console mixer and control. Sweet!

Plus, I just simply switched Logic back to its default Stereo output of channels 1/2 so I don't have to even switch the I/O preset if I don't want. But if I do need to, I've stored my default routing which can be pulled up instantly. Did I already say how wonderful the Apollo infrastructure is?
Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 3.17.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 3.17.58 PM.png (461.46 KiB) Viewed 649 times

Loque

17 Jan 2018

There is a free A/B audio switch RE. Use this in your default song to switch between your main output and another output. This keeps your main channel occupied and you can easily switch.

Reason connects by default instruments and fx to Aan audio output above, so the other mentioned solution is a good workaround too.
Reason12, Win10

• Information